Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Remington and Marlin Brands

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    As someone that grew up in the shadows of the Ilion plant, knew many employees and drooled over their catalog every year this saddens me immensely. I am thinking that the new owners never had any intention of producing guns at the historic plant but had to make the effort in order to acquire the historic brand name.
    Yep, it is sad. But, it was sad that the original company could not make it work. Or the follow on owners. It was ripe for an employee ownership push. Too bad the union didn't go that route.

Boolit Master

Remington Ilion Deathwatch: https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...guns-warranty/

Okay, this is just getting weird. From the article: "According to RemArms, they should be viewed as a new company – like a true start-up – with the similar buzz of excitement, ambition, and ongoing activities that you would imagine coming from something entirely new." I wonder if they will start taking deposits to get on their waiting list?

Still no date given for when that first new 870 will be carried out to the loading dock.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Everyone is still waiting to see what happens.

Boolit Master

Remington Ilion Deathwatch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zg07o4BprE&t=255s and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB2wHFGPSqM

Well, it looks like RemArms shoved some product out the door, without telling anybody about it. Watch the videos, and you'll see why.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    That but stock to receiver fit really make me wonder about quality control.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I can draw corollaries to that from things that have happened around here during the last 25 years or so. Union management gets involved during negotiations or a strike and tries to tell the business what they have to do. The business ends up closing the doors. The local workers get hurt and lose their jobs. The union management keeps their jobs and says "Boy we showed them didn't we!"
    Total disconnect with reality.

Unions used to have a place in industry. Not so much now.
    Bingo. Union threats coupled with Covid and now the new Delta Variant, and soon the even newer Whatever Variant, are going to be the death of many a company. Everyone is bailing from NY & CA for obvious reasons.

Not to worry however - the Government will take care of you.

Boolit Master

Remington Ilion Deathwatch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fdD_m5_pnw

RemArms tries to do some damage control, saying the low quality specimens caught on video were cobbled together out of parts left behind by the old company, and the guns they will actually make will be much better. This of course raises the questions of how hard up for cash they are, to shove such products out the door; and why new parts and guns aren't coming off the line yet.
    Last edited by 376Steyr; 07-29-2021 at 06:56 PM. Reason: language enhancements

Boolit Master

Remington Ilion Deathwatch: https://www.outdoorlife.com/guns/rem...tion-comeback/

It's all unicorns and rainbows for Remington Ammunition, while RemArms can't be bothered to answer Outdoor Life's question as to when they will actually start shipping product.

Boolit Master

Remington Ilion Deathwatch: https://www.americanrifleman.org/con...ng-to-dealers/

Three months after restarting production, RemArms quietly admits they are shipping 870s. I was expecting a flourish of trumpets and a ruffle of drums. And their website still hasn't been updated. A fellow would almost think they are marking time until their purchase-mandated requirement to keep the plant open, with 200 of the old employees, is up and they can flee to a red state.

I wonder if the old machinery in the plant is getting retro-fitted with quick-release floor mounts, for a fast getaway?
    Last edited by 376Steyr; 08-17-2021 at 04:39 PM.

Boolit Master
    Reading the thread with interest.
    It seems that unions have never really been about serving the needs of their members, except maybe in the first 20 years or so of their existence.

As a youngster, I had some peripheral experiences with unions that have left me with a lifetime "bad taste in my mouth."
    My Dad was a union painter. He'd tell of receiving his pay for the week, then going to stand in line with the other members of his crew to pay the Foreman "A little something."
    One day, he came home, and told us the Foreman had gotten angry at something and fired the entire painting crew. The union did nothing for him.

Another time, I was maybe 8 or 10, and my Dad had dropped me off at the neighborhood Barber shop for a haircut. It was near closing time for the shop, and the Barber that was cutting my hair stopped kind of in the middle, and told the owner if the shop "It's 5 O'clock, and this is a Union Shop, and I'm going to quit!" The owner finally talked him into completing my haircut...maybe 10 minutes after 5 P.M.

So, I have never been a fan of Unions, seeing many likenesses to Government, where the leadership really don't care about much except keeping their jobs, getting re elected and keeping their sponsors happy.

" When the wicked rule, the people mourn."
    IT IS A FINE AND PLEASANT MADNESS !

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 376Steyr View Post
    Remington Ilion Deathwatch: https://www.americanrifleman.org/con...ng-to-dealers/

Three months after restarting production, RemArms quietly admits they are shipping 870s. I was expecting a flourish of trumpets and a ruffle of drums. And their website still hasn't been updated. A fellow would almost think they are marking time until their purchase-mandated requirement to keep the plant open, with 200 of the old employees, is up and they can flee to a red state.

I wonder if the old machinery in the plant is getting retro-fitted with quick-release floor mounts, for a fast getaway?
    If the new 870's are of good quality, as in at least competitive with the Turkish guns for about the same price, I think they will be fine. The great race to the bottom cutting prices and quality to put guns on the shelf of every cheap mart is what killed the original Remington, Marlin, and Winchester. Stay with a small and proven product line and make each one a gun that you'd be proud to own. I think alot of people would be happy to buy them, myself included.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Remington Ilion Deathwatch: https://www.outdoorlife.com/guns/rem...hotgun-review/

Outdoor Life reviews the new 870 Express, and manages to contain their enthusiasm. RemArms still hasn't even bothered to update their website, so I suspect full-page ads in Outdoor Life aren't happening either.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    We sold a new 870 at the shop last night, I thought it looked as good as any other 870 Express I have seen including my own that was made by the pre-Freedom Group company.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 376Steyr View Post
    Remington Ilion Deathwatch: https://www.outdoorlife.com/guns/rem...hotgun-review/

Outdoor Life reviews the new 870 Express, and manages to contain their enthusiasm. RemArms still hasn't even bothered to update their website, so I suspect full-page ads in Outdoor Life aren't happening either.
    That's actually a pretty damning review as those things go. In my experience, if they have nothing good to say it means the product is total crap.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

Remington Ilion Deathwatch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdaRtVlwvJE&t=96s

The low-key roll out continues. RemArms CEO with a montage of their promised products, including the M700 and 1911. A quick check of Davidson's and Buds Gun Shop shows the V3 semi-auto shotgun seems to be shipping now too.

Boolit Master

Remington Ilion Deathwatch: https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part..._content=Rifle

Brownells has M700 receivers in stock, with bolts and triggers, but without magazine parts or bottom metal. I'm assuming these are new production.

On a personal note, a few years ago I put together a dandy 6.5-06 hunting rifle when I got a "deal" on a long action with bolt. Even with scrimping a little, it got discouragingly expensive to acquire all the parts and pieces I needed for completion. I would have been money ahead if I had just bought a used 700, tossed the old barrel, and burned the factory stock.
    Last edited by 376Steyr; 09-23-2021 at 06:58 PM.

Boolit Master
    I hate to say it but as far as outdoor life and most all or I guess all the gun magazines have had editorial content compromised over the years because they are so dependent on advertising dollars. it used to be magazines made a substantial amount from paid subscriptions but I feel over the years things have changed and articles are written to promote products and companies and boost advertising revenue. I may be all wrong but that's they just the way I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    I hate to say it but as far as outdoor life and most all or I guess all the gun magazines have had editorial content compromised over the years because they are so dependent on advertising dollars. it used to be magazines made a substantial amount from paid subscriptions but I feel over the years things have changed and articles are written to promote products and companies and boost advertising revenue. I may be all wrong but that's they just the way I see it.
    You're seeing it clearly.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Like 376Steyr , I wonder if they are biding their time for the right moment to find more fertile ground . Marlin lost my future business in the nineties and the Remington 700 I got ten years later was only marginally better .

Perhaps many looking for the least cost has brought us here or the greed of corporate management , I can't answer that . All I want is quality products that last longer than a lifetime .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master

Remington Ilion Deathwatch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifWJAjT10HI

Another video from the RemArms CEO. No news other than he claims the Ilion plant is "fully operational" (like a Deathstar? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7-tskP0OzI) and stuff is being shipped. No particulars on models, features, or calibers that will be offered.

RemArms is having professionals produce these Youtube videos with the CEO. I wonder why they haven't spent some money on updating their website?
    Last edited by 376Steyr; 09-23-2021 at 06:56 PM.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast