MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
Lee Precision
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Remington and Marlin Brands

Boolit Master

Stay in New York and Remington is doomed to fall once more. They are going to have to overcome a lot of bad publicity over the substandard rifles they produced to try to stay alive. In the modern production world of plastic rifles and the emphasis on cost, they will be fighting un uphill battle trying to bring the Model 700 back to the old level of excellence at a cost that will allow it to sell well. Cerebus(spelling) did a real theft job on Remington and then ran as was stated. There was an excellent article written on that subject but as of right now I cannot recall who wrote it or how to find it again. That is one thing that congree and the senate needs to take a serious look at and bring some legislation about to stop the large conglomerates from raiding small companies. It is nothing less than legal (right now) corporate theft. I have always been a Remington man but right now they are going to have to prove to me that the company is serious about re-creating a good product again and that starts with moving the whole operation to a gun friendly state or they loose me. james

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I think there is enough of a demand for iconic guns done right that they could keep the Ilion factory going, but not at the level it once was.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Remington Ilion DeathWatch Update: https://wibx950.com/5-big-things-we-...ning-in-ilion/

The good news: Some steel was delivered to the plant, and "new equipment needed to relaunch the production line has been and is in the process of being ordered."

The bad news: RemArms and the Union have 60 days to reach a finalized labor agreement.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Master
    I just hope they start producing guns before the big shortage ends. This is a boom time for gun mfgs, especially for something like the 870.

Boolit Master

I just listed my Remlin 1894 on Gunbroker with a $600 reserve. It's the only one available as far as I can tell. If it hits reserve, I will be as happy as a clam. Once Ruger starts production, the Remlin jokes will plummet in value.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

Remington Ilion Deathwatch: https://www.fieldandstream.com/guns/...-for-new-guns/

Production hasn't started yet. Product is supposed to be on the shelf "well ahead of hunting season." Model 870 first, then the 700, then the 1100.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Master

Remington Ilion Deathwatch: https://www.oleantimesherald.com/new...a2d47b591.html

230 workers now back at the plant, including 120 hourly Union employees. Lets see how long it takes to have the first new 870 come off the line.

Boolit Master

Remington Ilion Deathwatch
    It's been a month, and there has been no triumphant unveiling of the first new gun to roll off the restarted assembly line yet. The Remington website doesn't have any news either. I estimate RemArms has racked up roughly $1 million in payroll costs alone in the past month.

Boolit Buddy

1 HOLE sums it up nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by 1hole View Post
    Right. Up to about the 1920s, big industrial managers tended to view employees as disposable parts on some sort of assembly line. Labor unions because necessary for desperate employees to limit the abuses of many big companies.

Politicians quickly realized the potential of money and "free" labor for their election programs from unions. The management of big unions made a tacit deal with the Democrats and laws were passed to benefit UNION labor (but not every worker) and the downhill slide to corruption between politicians and big unions began. But, much good came from it ... at first.

But, when a rational balance between the forces of labor and capital was made (about 1947) the big unions continued to extort ever increased benefits simply because they could. Thus, the big unions have long been a cancer on the backs of the paying public. Someone has to pay for everything the unions win and the public pays ever increasing prices for everything they need.

So unions demanded more and more and the whole U.S. economic structure ratcheted up in the continous inflation cycle we still live with.

Big Unions have less attraction here than they have in other places; we know that big nothing is the "working man's friend", including big unions. People in the south are less likely to surrender control of their lives to any big power group.

We prefer to have jobs with reasonable compensation instead of being unemployed at twice as much. Jobs make it easier for us to feed our families than no jobs.

The South's industrial economy is pretty strong today. Well, except where Dem politicians do the most to help the otherwise helpless and hopeless professional welfare big city ghetto people get larger welfare checks.

Right again.

Unlike so many of our well fed "northern" friends, we hordes of political independent "deplorables" in NC, SC, TN, TX, GA, AL, LA, FL happily welcome those companies considering coming here to provide good non-union jobs for our unemployed and underemployed people.

Fact is, jobs/no jobs, unions/no unions, BIG daddy Democrats/non-Democrats, we all have to make life choices for what seems best to us and then live with the results of our choices, hopefully without whining to everyone else about how unfair life is. !

* The Stars and Bars still fly. Most people don't even know what the Stars and Bars look like and the more educated they are the less likely they are to know. That's not the people's fault, it's just another ignorant failing of "modern liberal" education.

God help us, the U.S.A. is in deep poo again. It was the overreaching of power hungry Northern politicians - at the calling of big money guys - that led to the fracus of 1861-65 and they are doing it again. Resist ... and hang onto your wallets and firearms. At the rate and direction the Dems are going now we may be needing them both sooner rather than later.
    Well said 1 HOLE. I'm hopeful Ruger can pull it off!
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

Boolit Master

Remington Ilion Deathwatch: https://www.wktv.com/content/news/3-...574645701.html
    Well, now we know why Remington went bankrupt. Three guys are accused of stealing $65,000 from the old company in 2019, and have been arrested. Meanwhile, the fat cats of Cerberus, who "borrowed" a quarter of billion dollars from Remington, are sitting on their yachts, drinking champagne and smoking big cigars.

Boolit Master

Remington Ilion Deathwatch: https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...e-pump-shotgun
    While RemArms has been busy not putting product on the loading dock, a Chinese clone of the 870 is now hitting the market, retailing in the $250 range. That's right, TWO hundred and fifty dollars. Hope the RemArms guys have been working on 870s with nice walnut and blued steel, because the bargain basement market has just been yanked away from them.

Brownells has them in stock for $250. https://www.brownells.com/firearms/s...rod139411.aspx
    Last edited by 376Steyr; 06-27-2021 at 03:24 PM.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    $250.00 is high for a basic imported pump shotgun, and that is a very crowded market segment. I have no doubts Remington will be able to sell 870's and people will pay higher prices for them. As soon as we get a Mossy or Winchester pumpgun on the rack at my side job shop it goes out the door, even if it is just a Maverick or Turkish Winchester Speed Pump.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    $250.00 is high for a basic imported pump shotgun, and that is a very crowded market segment. I have no doubts Remington will be able to sell 870's and people will pay higher prices for them. As soon as we get a Mossy or Winchester pumpgun on the rack at my side job shop it goes out the door, even if it is just a Maverick or Turkish Winchester Speed Pump.
    Yep, it is a very crowded market segment, and it just got worse. Some folks will pay more for the Remington name and its (hopefully) better quality, and some won't.
    The real question is, can RemArms get some cash flowing, and will it be enough? Will the margin on whatever product finally gets out the door be enough to cover the costs of running the Ilion plant? I don't know, but I'm becoming more pessimistic every day.

What a joke! No way will Remington be successful in New York. I just hope someone photographs the facility, museum and all the happy employees before the permanent closure. I think they moved to Arkansas? Anyway, I visited the museum 20 years ago and the people were just great... I got the chance to hold the only gr VII 1889, 10 bore I think. I hope they get the museum out intact and some of the employees have the opportunity to move with the company to a better place. I would really like to see some of the excellent firearms of Remington and Marlin made again, here in the US. We all know that can't happen in N.Y. Reality check... I would estimate retail price of true continued production arms to start at $5000....agggghhh, how can it be that much? Well I'm not talking about a stamped out 870. Remington 1900 SXS 12, 20, 28, .410, just the barrels would have to be 3-5000, end price in mid grade 8-10,000. Marlin 1895, .45 gov't true to original style and quality, 4-8000. Just estimates but look at the current values of really fine firearms in that range. Big plus now...CNC, AI aided design and tolerance, advanced metallurgy, very well refined woodworking etc. All of this can add up to way fewer jobs but highly skilled positions paying great bonuses in "right to work" states as opposed to higher numbers of unskilled labor positions mandated by a labor union with the end of the road at a final strike and complete closure (Hostess Bakeries). I wish the best for all and I will be in line with my checkbook for that Remington 1885 20 bore gr VI!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by quail4jake View Post
    What a joke! No way will Remington be successful in New York. I just hope someone photographs the facility, museum and all the happy employees before the permanent closure. I think they moved to Arkansas? Anyway, I visited the museum 20 years ago and the people were just great... I got the chance to hold the only gr VII 1889, 10 bore I think. I hope they get the museum out intact and some of the employees have the opportunity to move with the company to a better place. I would really like to see some of the excellent firearms of Remington and Marlin made again, here in the US. We all know that can't happen in N.Y. Reality check... I would estimate retail price of true continued production arms to start at $5000....agggghhh, how can it be that much? Well I'm not talking about a stamped out 870. Remington 1900 SXS 12, 20, 28, .410, just the barrels would have to be 3-5000, end price in mid grade 8-10,000. Marlin 1895, .45 gov't true to original style and quality, 4-8000. Just estimates but look at the current values of really fine firearms in that range. Big plus now...CNC, AI aided design and tolerance, advanced metallurgy, very well refined woodworking etc. All of this can add up to way fewer jobs but highly skilled positions paying great bonuses in "right to work" states as opposed to higher numbers of unskilled labor positions mandated by a labor union with the end of the road at a final strike and complete closure (Hostess Bakeries). I wish the best for all and I will be in line with my checkbook for that Remington 1885 20 bore gr VI!
    Marlin firearms won't be made in New York.

Ruger now owns the Marlin brand and has said we should see the first Marlin products late this year.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    Marlin firearms won't be made in New York.

Ruger now owns the Marlin brand and has said we should see the first Marlin products late this year.
    Thank Goodness for that! A Ruger-made Marlin will likely cost more than the Remlins, or the JM Marlins, but they'll be made right! More importantly, they'll be made HERE in the USA!

These guys that are setting up the "new" Remington in Ilion are out of their minds. Anti-gun government, a union that won't take "No" for an answer, how long can they really expect to stay in NY and survive?
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master
    It's not really a choice. It was a condition set in the court documents for the bankruptcy and purchasers. The document was linked somewhere in here. I was surprised someone actually bought the Remington portion of the company given the court demands.

Boolit Master

Remington Ilion Deathwatch: https://www.wktv.com/content/news/Re...574793081.html

NY has a new state law that lets firearms makers be sued.

"NEWSChannel 2 asked RemArms CEO Ken D’Arcy if the company would consider leaving New York because of the new law.

“Nothing is set in stone; this poorly thought-out legislation is one more thing showing New York State is not business friendly and in particular has no understanding of the firearms industry. The idea this legislation will curtail crime is absurd,” he said in a statement."

Meanwhile, it's now been two months since RemArms supposedly restarted production, and apparently nothing has been shipped yet. I estimate RemArms has spent two million dollars on payroll alone so far, with nothing to show for it. They haven't even bothered to update their website.

As someone that grew up in the shadows of the Ilion plant, knew many employees and drooled over their catalog every year this saddens me immensely. I am thinking that the new owners never had any intention of producing guns at the historic plant but had to make the effort in order to acquire the historic brand name.

Looking forward to buying a 1894 38/357 Marlin from Ruger.

Last of a long bucket list.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast