Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Remington and Marlin Brands

Boolit Master
    Remington produced Marlins are going through the roof. I watched SBL 45-70's sell on Gunbrokers in the $2300-2500 range. So much for JM Marlins fetching more money.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    JM Marlins were on the downslide for quality before being purchased by the company that owned Remington. Remington got worn out equipment and none of the guys that were building rifles with it. Apparently they eventually got the formula to where the kept guns exceeded the returns.
    I wonder if the accumulated costs were part of Remington going under?

I recently purchased a Ruger #1 in .44 Mag that shoots much better than my 1894 Marlin, probably due to Marlin sticking to .44/40 specs for the new fangled magnum when it came out and Ruger doing it properly. As above mentioned, I’d bet Ruger can use their casting techniques to produce better Marlin actions cheaper. Ruger also isn’t afraid to do limited runs of odd calibers or synthetic or laminate stocks.

I’m betting we see some interesting Marlins eventually.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Does anyone know the total amount of Marlins produced by Remington ?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    Remington produced Marlins are going through the roof. I watched SBL 45-70's sell on Gunbrokers in the $2300-2500 range. So much for JM Marlins fetching more money.
    Kinda complicated topic there. . .

1. Right now, you're at the mercy of the used market to find ANY Marlin.

2. JM Marlins often have Micro-Groove barrels which don't get a lot of love from boolit casters.

3. Later JM Marlins and all Remlins have cross-bolt safeties which don't get a lot of love from traditionalists.

4. I can attest to both Remington being able to make a great .45-70 barrel, but their early Marlin efforts had Q.C. problems (that in my Pop's case was sorted out above and beyond satisfactorily by one of their regional repair centers)

So it's really down to what one is after in a Marlin.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

Remington update: Production start date has slipped to March, first model produced will be the 870 shotgun.
    https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...uction-march-1
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    That's really not bad, getting a plant running again is not a fast undertaking.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    With the supply shortage any Marlin lever gun is going to sell well.
    I've monitored LGS's here on-line for several months, and bought a few Marlin lever guns in that time. Now there are none anywhere, whatever the model.

From Marlin to Remlin to Ruglin. Hope that Ruger actually starts making traditional Marlin lever guns again and doesn't just just slap the name on cheap import Model 60 .22 rifle Asian knockoffs.

Boolit Master

Remington Update: The new owner sends a brush-back pitch past the Union's nose: https://www.timesunion.com/business/...o-15925668.php
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Master
    Yep, looks like the union and mgmt are at odds. I figured it would happen when the first press release said they were offering jobs as an 'at will' employer.

Also looks like there is something in the bankruptcy documents about all this so it may be that Roundhill just wants a way to move the assets out of state and they have to get to a certain point with the union before it happens.

Boolit Master

Remington Ilion Deathwatch Update: Management: You know, if the Union messes with us, we'll leave town: https://www.cnyhomepage.com/news/ita...-plant-closes/
    Union: This is still a Union plant, and you need to give us the names of the scabs you already hired: https://romesentinel.com/stories/uni...-rumors,110033

Edit: Yeah, I know that technically a scab is someone who crossed the picket line, which hasn't been set up, yet. I am sure the Union has only the best interests of the re-hired workers at heart, and just wants to do a health and welfare check on them at their homes, just to make sure they're doing okay.
    Last edited by 376Steyr; 02-10-2021 at 11:41 AM.

Boolit Master
    I don't understand why they didn't follow Ruger's lead and just moved everything out of town.

Unless the bankruptcy ruling has some 'blackmail' in it to force the new owners to use the existing plant or pay for demolition and clean up.

I would have been tempted to empty out the building and use it for a HQ. Move mfg to another state.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Here we go again, ugh.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    The union has to be aware that the State of New York is the one of the least friendly states for business and firearms, so will have to bend over backwards in order to not be the straw that breaks the camel's back. That being said, I hope those people get their jobs back. Then again, I wish that those people would get their state back from the politicians as well.

Boolit Master

Remington Ilion Deathwatch Update: Hiding at the bottom of the old Remington.com website is a link to the bankruptcy sale documents : https://cases.primeclerk.com/Remingt...=SALEDOCUMENTS

If you scroll down to document 821, you can download a pdf of the sales agreement. Around page 650 of 1498 you find the requirement for the new owners to hire 200 of the old union employees.

On page 924, there is an inventory of finished Remington firearms.

For Marlin enthusiasts, if you go to page 1303, you can see an inventory of machinery and spare parts that I assume are now getting unpacked at the Ruger plant.
    Last edited by 376Steyr; 02-13-2021 at 03:35 PM.

you find the requirement for the new owners to hire 200 of the old union employees.
    I don't see a requirement for the 'old' employee to be paid union wages. Same reason few Boeing workers wanted to transfer to east coast production years ago. Non-union pay.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    you find the requirement for the new owners to hire 200 of the old union employees.
    I don't see a requirement for the 'old' employee to be paid union wages. Same reason few Boeing workers wanted to transfer to east coast production years ago. Non-union pay.
    I Am Not A Lawyer, but while browsing around in the sale document I found several references to the Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA), but I didn't see a statement in plain English that the CBA would carry over from the old owners to the new.

I'm sure most of the people reading this thread would be more interested in knowing that Remington had 255 spare magazines in stock for the R51 than the latest round of bickering between Remarms and the United Mine Workers, but I think it's more like watching one of those "Traffic Accidents on Icy Roads" videos, where you know the crashes are coming but you just can't look away.

I don't know. New Ruger keeps showing they don't know or care about their own legacy and history, why should they care about Marlin's?
    Former cylindersmith.

Quote Originally Posted by bowfin View Post
    The union has to be aware that the State of New York is the one of the least friendly states for business and firearms, so will have to bend over backwards in order to not be the straw that breaks the camel's back.
    Nope. You would think, but history shows us that's often not the case. The local workers might feel that way, but the removed powers that be probably don't care.
    Former cylindersmith.

Quote Originally Posted by cas View Post
    Nope. You would think, but history shows us that's often not the case. The local workers might feel that way, but the removed powers that be probably don't care.
    I can draw corollaries to that from things that have happened around here during the last 25 years or so. Union management gets involved during negotiations or a strike and tries to tell the business what they have to do. The business ends up closing the doors. The local workers get hurt and lose their jobs. The union management keeps their jobs and says "Boy we showed them didn't we!"
    Total disconnect with reality.

Unions used to have a place in industry. Not so much now.

Boolit Master

Remington Ilion DeathWatch Update: https://www.wktv.com/content/news/Re...573801021.html

RemArms gets a 50% break on their property taxes from the State of New York because they are a "new" company, but RemArms now says they need "clarification" about what their obligations to the union are under the sale agreement, and they can't open the plant with the old union agreement in place.

Union response: Open the plant and keep it union! https://www.publicnow.com/view/7E18F...DA4BC6C063395D
    Last edited by 376Steyr; 02-16-2021 at 03:53 PM. Reason: fresh news

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast