RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWideners
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: Suppressor - 300 Win Mag

Boolit Master

Suppressor - 300 Win Mag

My wife's nephew is 28 years old and live in Boise, Idaho. He told my wife he had gotten a 300 Win Mag for hunting up there. I thought, huh? Larger game way up there I reckon. Then he told her he had applied for a license to get a suppressor to reduce the recoil. I've been messing around with firearms for 60 or more years and never have come across that theory. At first blush I thought "That won't work". But I have a limited experience with suppressors, and maybe since it bleeds off the gas sideways, I don't know.

So, I thought I'd see what y'all thought. Will a suppressor reduce felt recoil?
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master
    Yep, they definitely reduce recoil. Not to the degree of a muzzle brake, but they definitely tame them down.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    A suppressor most definitely reduces recoil as well as the muzzle blast. They are growing in popularity on hunting rifles in the US.
    Hunting suppressed reduces recoil so you can shoot better, reduces muzzle blast to save your hearing, and at the same time less noise spooks other game less. Suppressors are not just for the tactical crowd.

I went to South Africa a couple years ago and used a loaner rifle in camp. It was a Rem 700 in 308 with a suppressor. The suppressor actually did make the hunt better. Your ears didn't ring and you could hear the bullets impact the animals clearly. That's what they swear by over there and it's considered somewhat obnoxious to blast everyone's ears with an unsuppressed rifle. Over there guns are more tightly regulated but you can buy a suppressor with no restrictions. Just like you could buy a muzzle break or other accessory here.

I don't live in a suppressor friendly state, but if I did, I would most definitely be getting on the suppressor bandwagon.
    Last edited by JRD; 12-01-2023 at 01:53 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Yep, they definitely reduce recoil. Not to the degree of a muzzle brake, but they definitely tame them down.

Edit: the recoil is somewhat different as well - more of a push than normal. The sound of the shot is far more amenable to following up and keeping game less aware of the shooter's position. The downside is the added weight and especially length when added to a mountain rifle, but I generally have mine off when packing it in - place it when stalking or still hunting.
    Makes my 300 PRC feel roughly like a 243 recoil wise.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, suppressors do reduce recoil because of the added weight to the rifle and most of the muzzle blast being captured by the baffles in the suppressor. How much of a reduction depends on the weight of the suppressor and the design and number of baffles.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

There is no such thing as a license for a suppressor, unless your state or municipality requires one.
    You do need to pay the ATF a $200.00 tax for each one you buy and undergo a severe anal exam for each suppressor, even if you buy more than one at a time.
    Then you need to wait about a year before they decide to approve it.

Boolit Master
    Thank y'all for completely answering my questions. I just had never thought about suppressors until my wife's nephew came up with it. My main deer rifle is an old 7.62 Nato 43 Spanish Mauser, heavily customized, that I have hunted with for 40 years or so. Never really noticed the recoil.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Suppressors are kind of like potato chips.
    I bought a pricey multi caliber one with the intention that it would be my first and last.
    Now I am waiting approval on two more.