MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
Repackbox
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Remington and Marlin Brands

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Remington and Marlin Brands

So what is going on at Remington currently? Are any guns being produced? Are we going to see Remington and Marlin brands in the future or will they disappear ?

Boolit Master
    Far as I know Ruger bought the Marlin line when Remington went bankrupt and no time line was given as to when they would be making Marlin/Ruger lever actions. One thing to think about is Ruger hammer forges all their rifle barrels(if I'm wrong please correct me) so don't think they will be making any micro groove barrels. The mandrels aren't cheap and they'd be money ahead using what they have (standard 4 groove barrels) rather than the micro groove ones. Frank

Boolit Master
    Have not seen anything on Ruger plans for the Marlin line.

Remington arms mfg was bought by Roundhill Group LLC who claim to be gun enthusiasts with people experienced in the gun business. Last I saw was they had their FFL and were trying to hire folks at the Ilion plant in NY for a Feb 1st reopening. But, it seems they are trying to hire 'at will' in a union state so I think the start date is optimistic.

Have not seen anything on the other plants.

Boolit Grand Master
    It would not make much sense to buy the brand and not produce something. I expect it will be the best selling and most profitable models the original companies made. Generate some cash and then look at something "new and improved".
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

I believe the Marlin machinery in the Ilion, NY Remington plant has been shipped out to Ruger. As of 11 days ago, the new owners were "in talks with the Union" about hiring, and apparently there has been dead silence since. The announced re-start date was for mid-February, I suspect they are going to blow through that.
    My two cents: Having paid $13 million for an old facility in New York state, which probably has $13 million in deferred maintenance on it, the new owners will be putting the screws to the local and state governments; demanding tax relief, tax credits, and maybe even money up front to keep the business from relocating south of the Mason-Dixon line. The new owners have already hinted the old factory building is worthless, and they could build a plant in the parking lot instead of working in the old building. Kimber just bailed out of New York, don't be surprised if Remington follows them.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Grand Master

I assume the investors who bought Remington would keep the brand name for the guns they produced, but what about Ruger who has a well recognized already? Will they keep the Marlin name/brand alive or will they just start using the equipment to produce Ruger named guns? It would be a shame to see the Marlin name disappear.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 376Steyr View Post
    I believe the Marlin machinery in the Ilion, NY Remington plant has been shipped out to Ruger. As of 11 days ago, the new owners were "in talks with the Union" about hiring, and apparently there has been dead silence since. The announced re-start date was for mid-February, I suspect they are going to blow through that.
    My two cents: Having paid $13 million for an old facility in New York state, which probably has $13 million in deferred maintenance on it, the new owners will be putting the screws to the local and state governments; demanding tax relief, tax credits, and maybe even money up front to keep the business from relocating south of the Mason-Dixon line. The new owners have already hinted the old factory building is worthless, and they could build a plant in the parking lot instead of working in the old building. Kimber just bailed out of New York, don't be surprised if Remington follows them.
    I'll bet there's a BILLION dollar EPA cleanup for the Ilion site.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

I can't imagine why ANYONE would want to start a business in this wretched state! The so-called Governor has been crying about lost tax revenue for a year now, if he gives them a tax break to start I can only see him putting the screws to them in the end. There's lots of gun-friendly states that would welcome their business, New York isn't one of them.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I hope the new owners of both realize there is no future in trying to play the price game with older designs that require alot of labor. It requires too much cost cutting and loose tolerances to happen. I just don't see many people wanting to pay close to five bills for an economy grade 336 that looks half finished and has a canted barrel when they can buy a Savage Axis for $300.00 or even less that will spank it perfornance wise. Likewise, the 870 is never going to be price competitive with the Mossberg Maverick and various imported shotguns, the latter of which keep getting better.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

The Marlin brand should do just fine with Ruger at the helm. The lever gun receivers SHOULD transition over to Ruger's investment casting methods (if that's the plan) and the .22 autoloaders are not so dissimilar from a 10/22 to cause them any trouble. Last press release I saw anticipated guns being sold by year's end.

As for Remington itself. . .the 700 fire-control system kept getting them sued, and I've come to regard the Mossberg 500/590's as better shotguns than even the GOOD 870's, which anything outside of their Police line for about the last 20 years is not. Kind of hard to stage a "Glorious Return" if that's what they're going to return to. They dug themselves into quite the hole. I will certainly not miss what they turned into. More than once I've wished could hand their CEO one of their Hepburns from the 1890's and a 1903 from the 1930's and ask "What the **** happened to you guys?"
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Agreed ^^^, best news for Marlin was Ruger getting them. Like said above, the new owners of Remington-Ilion are negotiating with the workers. They have received their Federal licenses at the location, so I imagine they will be seeking some tax relief. Our wretched governor is usually great at giving tax relief to industries while crushing local governments that pay the bill( look into Chobani and our local Town and County that are suffering from the governor’s giveaways), but I don’t see him doing anything to help a gun manufacturer. Sad that after over 200 years of gun making in Ilion, they probably will eventually find a friendlier location.

Boolit Grand Master

Has Ruger confirmed that they will be producing guns with the name Marlin on them and not just Marlin styled guns with the Ruger name on them?

Boolit Master
    This is the only thing I have seen from Ruger, from their web site.

Chief Executive Officer Christopher J. Killoy noted the excitement that has permeated the firearms industry in anticipation of the confluence of these two iconic firearms brands, "Since we announced the agreement to purchase Marlin in September, we have heard from countless members of the firearms community - consumers, retailers, distributors, writers, and collectors - who are delighted that legendary Marlin rifles are now part of the Ruger product family. We are excited to start moving these assets to our Ruger facilities and setting up the manufacturing cells that will produce Marlin rifles for years to come. We look forward to re-introducing Marlin rifles in the latter half of 2021."

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I assume the investors who bought Remington would keep the brand name for the guns they produced, but what about Ruger who has a well recognized already? Will they keep the Marlin name/brand alive or will they just start using the equipment to produce Ruger named guns? It would be a shame to see the Marlin name disappear.
    Why not make them under both names? Have the Marlins be Walnut and blued steel, with Rugers being Stainless with plastic stocks.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

More likely the guns will have the Marlin name logo with some references to Ruger and the Arizona address. Ruger paid for the brand so I am sure they will use it.

I think Ruger will bring back the Marlin brand, model numbers, and all or most of the core product line. They paid a pretty steep price not to do so. After all, if Ruger merely wanted to start a line of traditional lever actions under their own name they could have done so with no Marlin assets at all, as Henry did. I'm thinking the new Marlins will be made in New Hampshire alongside the revolvers.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    This is the only thing I have seen from Ruger, from their web site.

Chief Executive Officer Christopher J. Killoy noted the excitement that has permeated the firearms industry in anticipation of the confluence of these two iconic firearms brands, "Since we announced the agreement to purchase Marlin in September, we have heard from countless members of the firearms community - consumers, retailers, distributors, writers, and collectors - who are delighted that legendary Marlin rifles are now part of the Ruger product family. We are excited to start moving these assets to our Ruger facilities and setting up the manufacturing cells that will produce Marlin rifles for years to come. We look forward to re-introducing Marlin rifles in the latter half of 2021."
    This seems to answers the question if they will be called Marlins: «We are excited to start moving these assets to our Ruger facilities and setting up the manufacturing cells that will produce Marlin rifles for years to come.»

Boolit Master
    I think this is a good thing. it seems ruger is betting that the gun grabbing leftists will not ban lever actions. they put up a bunch of money to expand business in crazy political times.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    I think Ruger will bring back the Marlin brand, model numbers, and all or most of the core product line. They paid a pretty steep price not to do so. After all, if Ruger merely wanted to start a line of traditional lever actions under their own name they could have done so with no Marlin assets at all, as Henry did. I'm thinking the new Marlins will be made in New Hampshire alongside the revolvers.
    I'm pretty sure I read that the Marlin machinery was being moved to Prescott.
    NRA Benefactor.

Did not know that!

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast