Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Load Data
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I Wish Remington Would Make...

Boolit Master
    Just what is it about the 788 that you guys are so attracted to?
    I am not sure, but the allure IS there, for whatever reason. I think for some of us, we had them back in the day and did some good shooting and hunting with them, so they made a reputation for themselves on that.

I have heard that 788s had a fast lock time. The action was pretty smooth for an economy rifle, due to rear locking lugs, but that also meant that mine would lock up with some of that old time, hot Hirtenberger ammunition that would also lock up a Savage 99 but wouldn't do so in a 700 ADL.

I like mine, but I don't know if it is any better than what's available now. They also made it in .44 magnum and .30-30 which probably appeals to a lot of us in the cast boolit crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by cwtebay View Post
    Rolling block rifles!! Or maybe an anniversary release of the model 8? (In all three calibers of course).
    The 5mm idea is fantastic - would be even more so in a Remington single shot!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
    All four - 25,30,32, and 35. Plus add the 300 Savage from the Model 81. New runs of the ammo to go with all of it.

Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    Unfortunately, you're right Don. I love the 5mm, I had one waaaaayyyy back in '69 or '70, somewhere in that time frame. There was no woodchuck or crow that was safe within 150 yards, man that was fun! About twice a month I'd give my dad $7 out of my lawn mowing money and ask him to stop at the Big N store and get me "yet-another box" (as he would say) of cartridges. LOL! Those were good times, fer sher! But today, the 5mm is dead, sad thing, but true. Now a new, updated Nylon 66 might be just the thing! I'd buy one!
    The 5mm may be dead but the ones on Going Broker sell for some pretty high prices considering the ammo is only made by Agulia and nobody else that I know of. Somebody thinks they are pretty cool guns but probably not enough buyers to get a very questionable Remington to plunk down the cash to make them. I still scratch my head as to why they chose a .20 caliber back in 1969??
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajohns View Post
    All four - 25,30,32, and 35. Plus add the 300 Savage from the Model 81. New runs of the ammo to go with all of it.
    You're absolutely correct! (Embarrassing, I actually have owned all 4)

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Quality firearms again. And the Model Seven in a bunch of short action calibers like the 7mm08 and maybe even a 22 Hornet.

The 788 was very accurate, very dependable, and in no way rougher actioned or uglier than the Ruger American or Savage Axis.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Agreed Texas ! The 788 wasn’t pretty but shot as good or better than the 700 and was made like a real gun and made to last. To compare it to any of today’s “economy” rifles would be an exercise in futility.

Boolit Master
    In case folks forgot or did not know.

Vista Outdoor Inc. acquires Lonoke ammunitions business and certain IP assets; SIG Sauer is currently a backup bid (They also own Speer Federal CCI)

Roundhill Group LLC acquires non-Marlin firearms business (this means Remington arms)

Sierra Bullets LLC acquires Barnes Ammunition

Sturm, Ruger, & Co. acquires Marlin

JJE Capital Holdings LLC acquires DPMS, H&R, Stormlake, AAC and Parker brands (they also own Palmetto State Armory)

Franklin Armory Holdings Inc. acquires Bushmaster brand and some related assets

Sportsman’s Warehouse Inc. acquires Tapco brands

Boolit Master
    I had a 788 in 7mm-08 back in the 80's. While it was a good rifle I'd take my Savage Axis over one of them.

Boolit Grand Master

The 788 had several things going for it. Some were ahead of the times. It was normally a very accurate rifle right out of the box, It was lighter than most bolt actions, removable magazine when most ere blind or at best hinged to remove rounds Trigger pulls while not super good were good clean and crisp. Wood was decent but plain. For the average gy wanting to deer hunt shoot varmints or plink, they were a very good choice. Seen a couple at the local club that had been rebuilt into Coarse rifles and were very competitive.

Boolit Buddy

The M53 in 45 ACP.

Quote Originally Posted by Freischütz View Post
    The M53 in 45 ACP.
    If you're going to dream; dream big! I like it.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Ok, since the sky's the limit, I say Model Seven in .357 and .44 Magnum!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Bub
    I wish they would offer a traditional or classic line. Not like the 700 classic of old that was one chambering a year but a rifle line that included a 222, 257 Roberts, 7x57, 300 H&H etc. In addition a 16 gauge anything on a small frame

Also I second the wish for a Model 7 in 22 Hornet

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Totally agree on the need for a new classic line, since the .222, 6mm, .257, .280, and others are what cemented Remington's reputation for hunting rifles in the 20th century.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    A: Three sizes of rolling block, from mini rimfire & hornet-based, to small for revolver-based to .30-30 based, to buffalo class, and plain and unadorned so people could afford them. (by hornet-based, I'm thinking .25 Hornet).
    B: Seven or 600 type, mini for hornet-based, medium for .223/7.62X39 based, short for .308 based. Actions, too.
    C: Yes, the 788, plain and unadorned, in all three lengths (the 44 was a one-off, extra short), in every revolver caliber you can think of, every .30-30 offspring, and the entire .308 family. And without the plastic parts. And new, reliable magazines for them - the reproduction mags via Numrich are flimsy, overpriced and next to worthless. And while I'm wishing, Savage needs to bring back the 340 in the revolver and rimmed .30-30 class calibers, too, as well as the over/under rifle/shotgun combo guns. (.22 Hornet/.410, .32-20/20ga, .30-30/16ga, Krag/12ga)
    D: The older slide-action rifles in sizes for all the Rem calibers and the rimmed ones as well, especially the revolver calibers. The rimfire/Hornet class version as well.
    E: Wherever H&R ends up should bring back the Handi-rifle as well.
    F: Classic cut or button rifling (not microgroove) in all the above, in realistic twists.
    G: Genuine target grade micrometer, finger-click aperture & globe sight sets for all the above.
    Ed <><

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    The original 600’s, xp 100’s, along with 7 1/2 & 9 1/2 primers.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    700 Classic in 6 mm Remington, .280 Remington, and .35 Whelen. The 788 in 30-30 and .358 Win. The real m51 in .32 ACP, and the m17 pump shotgun in .410, 28 and 20 gauge.
    Oh yeah, bring back components like the excellent primers and PowrLokt and CoreLokt bullets......
    Oh yeah... that’s the ticket!
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Buddy
    Had a 788 in .223, was a tack driver. I sold it because I wanted more power. Fortunately you're only young and dumb once.

Banned

After having bought a Ruger American Predator, the argument that the 788 isn't better than the current bottom price point rifles is probably true, however, I love the 788. I've owned several over the years, the 6mm one I have will go to the grave with me even though I haven't shot it much the past few years.

While we're on that thought, not Remington, but if somebody started producing the Savage 340 again, I'd likely be first in line even though they really come up short performance wise compared to that Ruger.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast