WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3D printer design software

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daekar View Post
    I have been using FreeCAD as well, and while it is clearly less refined than the commercial offerings, I love that I am not beholden to the whims of AutoDesk's licensing department.

It definitely requires some patience, and I have not really tried for complex 3D curves yet, but everything else seems doable. I really love parametric sketching...wish it had been around when I took my drafting class in high school.

Gotta say, Cura is a lovely slicer. Orientation, scaling (even unequal scaling), it is really useful. I have been printing test Boolit designs, and it's great to be able to just scale the diameter while leaving the length the same... Just like would happen when ordering a custom diameter mould.
    Glad to hear someone else likes FreeCad. I've not had a moment to play with it, or watch the tutorials when I had sufficient brainpower to profit from them since I last posted on this thread. There is another group that might interest several of you, https://groups.io/g/digitalhobbyist/topics is not one of the groups I own, but I am a member there. Lots of folks doing 3D printing, making electronic leadscrew controllers (automate some functions of a lathe without going full CNC) and hobbyist CNC controllers. The owner, John Lindo, has done some really nice stuff with a Real Bull mini-lathe, and has written/co-written several articles that have appeared in Home Shop Machinist. Lots of good info, and good people to ask questions of. I sign as Bill in OKC there, and other places on GIO.

Bill

Moderator Emeritus

I have been basically printing non stop for a few weeks now. Finally figured out the settings that my printer likes best with various PLA's. Seems mine likes 210 degree nozzle, 80 degree bed, and I start at 60% print speed for first few layers then bump to 80, then to 90-100 depending on what I am printing. I like Cura also. Been printing a lot of organizing stuff like socket holders, wrench holders, etc with black for sae and blue for metric. Be surprised how handy it has been for getting organized in my garage. Keep saying I am gonna learn freecad someday. Keep in mind prints will go for over a day to finish.. I have mine plugged into a back up power supply that saved my butt a few times already.. Actually going to learn to use my sewing machine today - maybe. I would look at the groups Scrounge (Bill) suggests. I receive a number of emails from those groups and find them interesting.
    Ron

Forgot to mention. Mine is Creality 6se and I was having major problems with adherence to the plate. I even did the firmware upgrade a few months ago which I recommend for adjusting settings while printing. I also changed my z from default .20 down to .10. Knock on wood I have had no printing problems since whereas I was getting major problems every print. I also whipe the bed down with rubbing alcohol after every print and restart and re level the bed between prints.
    Last edited by MrWolf; 04-15-2021 at 10:12 AM.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I've only been using OpenSCAD - but since I've been programming since about 1970, it suits me quite well. YMMV! We could talk in Special Projects about 3d programming / design help if this would help people, I am not adverse to designing something to help folks & I'm pretty sure others feel the same

Was thinking of getting an Ender 3 v2 but now I'll have to compare it to the Anet A8 Plus, I will probably end up with more than one printer and a resin printer as I move.

If you are thinking of making something for the car or another area that gets hot, I'd suggest you look into other filaments than regular PLA, as it will slump in a hot car (Even in the tepid early summer temperatures in the Seattle area, one local guy loaded his 3d printer into the car, left it in the car for a while, and came out to a warped bunch of printed parts.) Avoid that as that way lies madness, or at least many very bad words!

And truly, any good 3d printer software can create an STL file (or similar format) that can be printed on most any printer.

Oh, side note, I "scale" my stuff in OpenSCAD to "1 unit = 1 mm", if you do use some other unit of measure, you will need to supply it to anyone using your file so you get the expected scale on the printed parts. Documenting what you do is wise

Boolit Mold
    I have been using DesignSpark Mechanical , don't know if it is still free or not . Works for what I need .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Haveman View Post
    I have been using DesignSpark Mechanical , don't know if it is still free or not . Works for what I need .
    It's still free, apparently, though my computer may not be able to run it. I downloaded it, and told it to install. It's just sitting there, nothing happening on the progress bar.

Bill

Ahhh! It had a dialog box waiting for my input that got lost! When I found it, it started progressing on the install.

i've been using tinkercad while trying to learn fusion360 with little luck but with tinkercad i've created a lot of calibers of loading blocks and other outdoorsman bits n bobs

Boolit Buddy
    I use FreeCAD to make my reloading parts.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Scrounge View Post
    It's still free, apparently, though my computer may not be able to run it. I downloaded it, and told it to install. It's just sitting there, nothing happening on the progress bar.

Bill

Ahhh! It had a dialog box waiting for my input that got lost! When I found it, it started progressing on the install.
    Bill, let us know how you like it.
    Ron

Banned
    I just needed it Thanks for sharing.

I have used both SketchUp and FreeCad....SketchUp is much easier to learn and is intuative but you gotta pay a $600 license fee to be able to export any usable files for CNC machines or printers..I got mad about that and switched to FreeCad and will never go back. FreeCad is sooo much more powerful and will export in just about any file extension you can think of...However...it takes time to learn FreeCad but when you do you will love it! It will even produce automatically dimensioned drawing sets for conventional machining...This is a sight base I designed on FreeCad and has CNC machined for my S&W 4506..Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pickbase.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	21.2 KB 
ID:	284563Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4506mountbase-L.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	118.6 KB 
ID:	284564

Boolit Master
    just a question about ease of use for these programs and 3d printer.
    my programming experience was limited to a summer class at Duke when I was 14, learned Cobol and used giant punch card computer. I struggled though it and made me quickly realize, I can take an engine completely apart, fix what's wrong and put it back together and make it run like new. but for the life of me could not pass a class in calculus or trigonometry. ive tried creating a dynamic web site, but my brain just doesn't work that way for some reason.
    how idiot proof are these current cad programs and 3d printers?

Boolit Buddy
    You create shapes in a UI and make them interact w/ other shapes. No coding experience needed. There are lots of youtube videos on how to do certain things in all the programs so if you get stuck trying to do something there is a tutorial to show you the way.

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    just a question about ease of use for these programs and 3d printer.
    my programming experience was limited to a summer class at Duke when I was 14, learned Cobol and used giant punch card computer. I struggled though it and made me quickly realize, I can take an engine completely apart, fix what's wrong and put it back together and make it run like new. but for the life of me could not pass a class in calculus or trigonometry. ive tried creating a dynamic web site, but my brain just doesn't work that way for some reason.
    how idiot proof are these current cad programs and 3d printers?
    The 3D Printer slicing software is pretty fool proof but the CAD/CAM design software is NOT something you can learn to use in a day...If you are determined and put in the time you can sure get good enough at it to design and make things....

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I "have the knack" so I find OpenSCAD easy, i.e. you don't want to ask ME, LOL

On the other hand, if I had only Sketchup to use, I suspect I would still be slaving away on my first CAD design, I have a negative Artist quotient.

I cover it pretty well though, by using the tools I can use

Same as reloading, it helps to get a mentor, someone you can ask before ripping all of your hair out by the handful, there are tricks in any CAD package and a mentor will know at least some of them

Since I've been programming since the 70s, in tons of languages, used Pascal a lot as Turbo Pascal for CP/M was cheap ($50) and very fast and efficient, and OpenSCAD is a sort of Pascal-ish scripting language, that's what helps make it easier for me.

Also, the different packages do things in different ways; in OpenSCAD you'd make a box with 5 lines, something like:

difference() {
    cube([bigX, bigY, bigZ]);
    translate([W, W, W])
    cube([bigX - 2*W, bigY - 2*W, BigZ]);
    }

You'd have to define bigX, bigY, and bigZ (the X, Y, and Z outside dimensions for this hollow box bottom), and W (the wall thickness, maybe 1.6 mm?) The translate function makes it move the item following it by that X, Y, and Z; The difference function says "Remove everything inside the {} brackets from the first item in them", so you could make an ammo box in not too many lines, the best way is to get a little more advanced and make a function to bore holes (using difference) for your loaded rounds etc.

And if you wanted to design something with trapezoidal or triangular parts, those get a lot harder, probably easier in sketchup if you can use it?

In Sketchup you more draw the part you want, I'd end up with no straight lines etc. LOL

Boolit Buddy
    I use solidworks. I tried sketchup, tinkercad, and fusion 360 but couldn't get them to work for me. Solidworks is rather confusing as first, but once you get the basics it isn't that difficult

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12