Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 80 gun safe

Boolit Master

80 gun safe

Does any have recommendation for a gun safe with a capacity for 70-80 guns. Not sure I have that many guns but want plenty of room. Also do I want an electronic lock or manual lock. Current safe has a mechanical lock and it is not a big problem. Son who sold gun said I should be able to find one for$2500-$3000. Not having much luck. Any and all comments welcome. Thank you

Boolit Master
    I really like my liberty. But I'd like to hear opinions.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckiller View Post
    Does any have recommendation for a gun safe with a capacity for 70-80 guns. Not sure I have that many guns but want plenty of room. Also do I want an electronic lock or manual lock. Current safe has a mechanical lock and it is not a big problem. Son who sold gun said I should be able to find one for$2500-$3000. Not having much luck. Any and all comments welcome. Thank you
    I only wish I had that problem!

Boolit Master

Ha 80 gun safe , will hold about 40 , just the truth , not enough room for stocks and scopes and long and short rifles . They advertise way over what they will hold without banging and scraping them .

Get the heaviest one you can.
    The weight differences for the same size ones translates into their relative wall thicknesses.
    All the do-das for fancy bolt works like rack & pinion gears are expensive, and don't lock the door any better than a simple type.

Electronic locks are OK, and the AMESEC ESL 10 or 20 series are commercial quality and the benchmark of the industry.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

You're getting beyond ready made, with very large size and weight. A dedicated room or vault constructed in a basement or garage might be more suitable.

DG

Boolit Master

An 80 gun safe would hold 80 20" bbl - Win 94's. About 40 scoped rifles, if the scopes a small and the bolts are all turned down smaller. No room for slings, anything longer then a 24"bbl. No SxS's, no pump or auto shotguns.
    And the longguns all have to be nekkid; no "sackups" or Cowboy Dustcovers.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    A dedicated room or vault constructed in a basement or garage might be more suitable.

DG
    I built a 4m x 2.5m core filled concrete block vault, holds about 250 - 300.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    You're getting beyond ready made, with very large size and weight. A dedicated room or vault constructed in a basement or garage might be more suitable.

DG
    I thought the same thing. The safes never hold what they advertise. Besides gonna need a small safe with a few throwaways in it to appease the confiscators

If you have never moved a safe, a 80 gun safe will be well over 1200lbs. Specialized dollies for stairs and not available at your rental center they come with expensive labor and are difficult to move. I had a 50 gun Cannon and it required moving more than once. I traded it for two 30 gun Liberty safes I can move myself with a U-Haul appliance dolly and a friend, do consider the weight and moving them.

Boolit Master
    Electronic locks can easily be bypassed with a strong magnet.....

Boolit Master
    Buy 2-40 gun, gun safes. Mount them side by side bolted to the floor & either through the back to the wall or what I thought to do is make a simple angle iron frame that captures the top & bottom with angle iron vertical corners. The frame could also be bolted to the floor & wall, this would prevent being able to tip them over for easier attack or rolling them off easily. Two safes means "twice" the amount of time to break into as well. Having 2 safes also prevents a complete lockout if you have trouble with your lock on one. I never built the frame because I live in a no crime area.

Boolit Master

I have a 40 Liberty and an 80 Cannon, quality wise not a dimes worth of difference. Heed the prior advise regarding moving them. An "80" gun safe is a thing to behold. I own a forklift and it was still a difficult proposition getting it where I wanted it.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master

someone mentioned a "stairway". I hope your planning on a concrete floor, or ground level at least. If basement, any flooding? A friend has a bulit in closet that you would never know was there by walking around the house, stairways, other closet, step out etc.. It iss full height, so two full racks plus. Holds about 60 with bolts open, scoped and loads of boxed ammo, and stuff. No fire protection, but very well concealed. food for thought

Boolit Master

Just sold a 80+ count safe I had for years. Would not hold anywhere close to advertised amount ,it would have held maybe 50 if all non scoped .22 rifles. bolted to floor with 4 1/2”. Didn’t need big safe as sold off or gave away much contents to family as arthritis limits me. Used 2 1/4” oak round handrail cut into 32” lengths to “ Egyptian” it out to trailer. Took 4 guys to push it up trailer ramp. IIRC it weighed 1200# empty. I’d vote for smaller safes bolted to floor and together.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Master

Listen to those who advise against believing the manufacturers bull about safe capacity. I have a Heritage(out of business, I think) safe that is 36"W x 66"H x28"D. It came with dinky shelves down one side. I rearranged the shelves to give me long gun room full width and left 2 full width shelves above. I'm guessing that I have maybe 30+ long guns in there but definitely not 40.

According to the specs I saved when I bought it, the empty weight is 1075#. I estimate with the bottom lined with lead ingots and all the guns that it tops out at about 2000#. That is strictly a guess. I ain't moving it. Maybe the son's will after I'm gone but even then they may not want it that bad.

I've often wished that I could have done something like Bad *** Wallace and made a strong room. Too late now and I would have probably tried to fill it if I had built it.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I always thought built in ones were a good idea. They might be cheaper in the long run. If I had the space, I would build one I could walk into and store other valuables too. Just dreaming.

Boolit Master
    I drew a house plan with a 12x18' safe room that was setup to receive a vault door .
    Makes for a very nice gun vault and tornado hidy hole .

Boolit Master
    before buying a new safe might want to watch the scenes in youtube video "street Thief" to see how a they thief gets into a safe.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipefitter View Post
    Electronic locks can easily be bypassed with a strong magnet.....
    Not all of them - the ones based on a solenoid can, the ones based on a motor can't

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast