Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2WidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
Load Data

Thread: Help With a Star

Boolit Bub

Help With a Star

Picked up this project this morning. All things considered it is not in to bad of shape. An hour in a 200 deg. oven should do the trick with basic cleaning. As you can see from the photo the crank shaft assembly is bent. I cannot for the life of me figure out how this comes apart. I thought would ask here before I call Magma on Monday.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails star.jpg  
    Last edited by ReloaderFred; 01-27-2021 at 12:53 AM.

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Man
    Just bolt it to a lubri-sizer heater and let it cook for a few hours. I have magnetic backed thermometers on the barrel of my sizers when sizing bullets, lets me monitor the temperature.

There is a cupped synthetic seal on the screw plunger, don't put the thing into an oven! And household ovens are not accurate, both of our Jenn Aires were running about 100 degrees over the shown temps until we had a service guy set the thermostat properly. And the ovens are digital, a second warning, do not trust digital!!
    Last edited by Stockcarver; 01-23-2021 at 05:12 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Some of the parts are pressed in with an arbor press and it's likely you don't have the capability to take it apart especially the aluminum. Magma can rehab it for you to like new. The search engine at the top right of this page has lots of info.
    HOLLYWOOD Collector Left hawg 405#, right one 315#, had my elderly neighbors granddaughter treed and why I got the call. Both charged, one from 20' and one from 40'. Thanks to the good Lord and Samuel Colt I won. May God bless our Lawmen & Soldiers!

If the crankshaft is actually bent, it will be near impossible to remove it without filing it down or cutting the end off so you can get it through the aluminum casting. Magma has replacement crankshafts (or did) but make sure you tell them it is for a vintage machine. The crankshaft for their current model is a larger diameter than used in the vintage machines. The crankshaft is generally sold with the collar that holds it in place and tightens on the handle...but ask.

Bruce Williams
    Star Machine Works - Owner
    The Original Blue Press - Made by Machinists not Machines.
    NRA Patron Member

Boolit Bub
    That is exactly what I was told by Magma. Fortunately the only replacement crankshaft they had in stock was for my older Star and it is on its way.