RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataWideners
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a boolits for my 45 LC Ruger

Boolit Master

I just picked up a LEE 452-255 6cav.

I have had a single or double for a while and like the bullet. My buddy found a friend selling and its now headed my way.

Its a more common profile but with a wider flat point.

CW

I think I made a video showing the bullet.

https://youtu.be/RdP29QAjyEU
    Last edited by cwlongshot; 01-27-2021 at 04:31 PM.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

RCBS 45-270 SAA. hands down, with your choice of powder. For me, 9 grains UNIQUE.
    Its a moderately warm load, pushing a moderately heavy slug with a good bearing area, and a large meplat for slap factor.
    It casts easily (282gr in my alloy, 12 bhn or lazily heat treated to 20-22 bhn), accurately penetrates like no tomorrow (normally all the way through) and is pretty... its a pig pounding DRT slug if you do your part.
    My molds are beautiful 5 cavity brass units from NOE, so production at one sitting approaches embarrassment.
    The multi cavity brass is heavy when working quickly with two, so you really earn your slugs,
    but they rank high among the best casting mold in the collection.
    Last edited by pls1911; 01-27-2021 at 05:43 PM. Reason: sp
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

For your purposes I would choose a SWC or a RFN with a large flat meplat weighing at least 250 grains...go heavier if you like but the 250's definately penetrate better than the 200's...Load them to about 1000 fps...I have had very good luck with Unique, Power Pistol and Blue Dot in this regard...The suggestions that you check your cylinder throats is a very good one. If you cannot easily push a sized .452" bullet through the throat you need to have the gun throated...You can do this yourself by renting the tools from here: https://4drentals.com/ I would not be concerned about any bullet expansion...you won't need it...You "can" load 250 SWC's up pretty fast with H110 or W296 but that is only in 7 1/2" barrel guns...In my 4 5/8' Blackhawk 11 grains of Power Pistol pushes a Lyman 452424 250 grain cast almost as fast as 25 grains of W296 with less muzzle blast. There is not a deer or pig on this earth that cannot be quickly and cleanly dispatched with a hard cast .45 SWC at 1000 or so fps.

Ditto, what 'kingrj 'said. I have the large frame Blackhawk. A rnfp or Keith swc, 255-280 grains, running 1,000 fps will do anything you need and is comfortable to shoot.
    Tom

I am using a MP 454-340 hp mold (330 grains penta hollow point, gc and powdercoated with my alloy) in my 454 and have just ordered the 454-460 hp mold (hope it drops hp closer to 260-270 range)for a more lead stash friendly version and the devastator type boolits seem to be very effective.

Boolit Bub
    Really happy to see and read all the replies here as I am in process of the same. I did end up getting a couple of molds recently and waiting for them to arrive

Boolit Grand Master

Hunting or HD we use the same FN cast. If it works on a pig or corn cruncher it sure will work on whatever needs persuaded to walk a better path.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought a MP 452. 285gr 45 carbine mold it has the solid, Large HP and small HP. I just now need to find load date for it.

Boolit Master

I have the same mold coming but he was out of lube groove so its no lube groove , oh wait mine says 275 grain and I bought it as I want the 255 grain hollow point and compare to the Lee 255rf , options on weight I like and there is something cool about the hollow points but not really needed .

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by PositiveCaster View Post
    ^^^This bullet^^^

I have had good success with a 280 WFN ahead of 13.0 grains of BlueDot. That gives 982 fps out of my 4-5/8” BH with good accuracy. Lower pressure than Unique gives for the same velocity, and not too loud. No expansion needed in hogs, this load took two Texas hogs no problem.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WFN-GC.jpg 
Views:	676 
Size:	4.4 KB 
ID:	277440

It's HARD to beat a solid boolit with a meplat this size, check out Veral's LBT 250gr WFN-PB, WFN-GC (pictured?) and the 250gr OWC these are three in the 260gr weight range that are excellent hunting boolits, and if you take the same WFN design and go 300gr with it, now you got a bulldozer for hogs, again, no HP needed, or recommended...
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by FLINTNFIRE View Post
    I have the same mold coming but he was out of lube groove so its no lube groove , oh wait mine says 275 grain and I bought it as I want the 255 grain hollow point and compare to the Lee 255rf , options on weight I like and there is something cool about the hollow points but not really needed .
    Just got done casting mine tonight the solid came out closer to 295gr-300gr, deep HP came out closer to the 275gr the star HP small HP dot HP all came out around 280 gr- 283 gr. I used range lead to cast them.

I did cast some 300gr+ solid but could not get them through the sizing die and had to drill them out .

Boolit Master
    I’m having excellent luck with an MP 45 270SAA mold. The gun (4 5/8” Blackhawk) and boolits want to shoot into one hole at 25 yards using 9.5gr Unique. Unfortunately the screwup holding the grips keeps messing things up.

It’s one of MP’s brass solid molds and was almost too pretty to use when I took it out of the box.

I haven’t shot any game with it but I have no doubts it’ll put venison in the freezer.

Boolit Master

I am looking forward to casting with mine , but am at work for 3 more days . Will check weight with my alloy .

Boolit Mold
    Lyman 452424 in front of 8.5 gr Unique. Been my go-to load in a Ruger blackhawk for nearly twenty years.

Quote Originally Posted by PositiveCaster View Post
    ^^^This bullet^^^

I have had good success with a 280 WFN ahead of 13.0 grains of BlueDot. That gives 982 fps out of my 4-5/8” BH with good accuracy. Lower pressure than Unique gives for the same velocity, and not too loud. No expansion needed in hogs, this load took two Texas hogs no problem.

Attachment 276007
    Nice looking bullet. Did you cast it? Sure would like the mold number!!

Boolit Buddy

I have a NOE 454-255gr one that worked great in my 45c rifles and my Blackhawk,i have been away from casting for the last few years due to kids but am about to start testing new loads for it for hunting. i didnt wright down my previous loads but that bullet worked great on deer here in FL. I did not resize and leave it at .454 and had no issues.

Boolit Master
    How about the Lyman 454190?it’s the only mold I have for it. It’s probably 50 years old and still new in the box. Need to try it out soon

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by reloader28 View Post
    The Lee 300gr is never a bad choice. It drops 320gr with my alloy.
    I have an NOE RF that drops a 235gr HP or a 255gr solid that shoot and perform excellent for me.
    The Lee 200 RF is a nice bullet and it also works very good in 45acp if you have one of them
    I have to agree on the Lee 310Gr for the 45 as it was designed as a hunting bullet.
    If one sits in thundering quiet the soul dies slow instead of yell to the heavens for all to hear and behold the righteous and upstanding and ones of which should be held with tales of woe. By C.A.S. <--- Thats Me lol.

If I were going to have just one mold for the 45 Colt it would be the NOE 454-265-wfn. These drop at about 270 grains and are also available as a hollow point, though it really isn't needed. I use this bullet in Colts and Casull's with equal effect. In reality, since we all know that we aren't going to have just one mold, I also have the Lee 452-255-rf, the Lee 453-300-rf and an Applegate mold that throws 320 grains. All of these work great and are not swc designs. I don't know why, but in the pistols and rifles that I have shot using cast bullets, the rf and wfn designs have always been at least as accurate, and usually more accurate, at longer ranges than the swc's. For the money, the two Lee molds are really hard to beat.

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...n-2-cavity-pb/

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I cast and shoot all weights/designs between 200 and 300 gn for my 45LC guns, both revolvers and long guns. HP's in that range are nice and I have 3 molds for HP's also with changeable pins for different weights and designs.

Load data is widely available in the many books out there and from powder maker's websites. I do not give out load data on any forum.

Good luck.

banger

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast