RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One pass check makers

Dang, I already ordered one, two weeks ago. I am now contemplating trying to cancel.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I talked to dave and he said if I sent it back he will make it right. I would like to have a gas check maker so I am going to send it back. I will keep you guys posted.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Master

Great - more time wasted.
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Master
    I ordered one from the sharpshooter site. Looking at the specs on a .44 cal. mold, the heel dimension is .401 so the aluminum flashing would need to be about .0151" for a good crimped on fit. Does this seem right?

Edit; This tool must produce checks for plain base boolits. Flashing seems to run about .009" thick.
    Last edited by Cosmic_Charlie; 02-04-2021 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jdfoxinc View Post
    Try sharpshooter-22lreloader.com
    Bad URL

ACC

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ACC View Post
    Bad URL

ACC
    https://sharpshooter-22lr-reloader.m...20727803215975

Banned

Sharpshooter must have just started making them again. They were showing discontinued for the last year or so.

Boolit Grand Master

Not sure if this will help or not but I have made 3 gas check makers now for myself. The first was similar to the Ed Wosika and Paco Kelly Freechex where a disk is punched then dropped into a forming die then a punch to drive it through the die. The next two were the Ed Smith design single stroke check makers.

I put a bit of taper on the forming punch that the check forms over but found in all three cases that the punch has to be polished SMOOTH! or the checks stick. I also found that using a bit of oil or WD40 on the material helps it release. I just wipe a bit on both sides before I start making gas checks. case sizing lube should work too.

You might try oil, WD40 or a wax for release agent to see if that helps and if not try polishing that little punch with very fine emery (like 600 grit or finer) or polishing compound. That is if the outfit won't make it right anyway.

Smooth punch and oil worked for me anyway.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    Thanks Longbow. I will keep that in mind. The gas check maker was sent back yesterday. We will see how it is when it comes back. I was really surprised when the punch came out. He said he was going to weld it in place. I am pretty sure that the main problem is the gas checks jam up in the top part and it fouls everything up. You can't feel it coming it just jams. I am not going to get my hopes up.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Sharpshooter must have just started making them again. They were showing discontinued for the last year or so.
    Well, I hope he ships it soon and that it is a quality product. Want to try some softer lead .44 loads at 1200 fps or more.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
    I got a reply back telling me the price - and asking me to text someone else for more info. That's already getting on my bad side, but fine - I've sent the text.
    That's his wife that he's telling you to text. She handles the paperwork he handles the lathe. Really good folks and really good tools

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by slide View Post
    Thanks Longbow. I will keep that in mind. The gas check maker was sent back yesterday. We will see how it is when it comes back. I was really surprised when the punch came out. He said he was going to weld it in place. I am pretty sure that the main problem is the gas checks jam up in the top part and it fouls everything up. You can't feel it coming it just jams. I am not going to get my hopes up.
    Had that happen with my 9mm Plain base maker from him, he made it right and the replacement works fine. He's constantly making small tweaks to make a better product. Sounds like you and I both got some that were pressed in but the clearances were a little off. It's a one man shop so lead times are off but they work well

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by RodneyUSAF View Post
    Can anyone attest to the quality of the Matteson check maker?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
    I have a few. Quality is in line with Pat Marlin's tool. I had one that the punch came loose but they made it right. But I had a similar issue with one of my makers from Pat (on pats the forming punch had a nub that wasn't faced off) but he made it right as well.
    Personally, I much prefer the single pass maker since the two pass maker is kinda fiddly handling the little discs and the ejector arm keeps falling out on my press

Quote Originally Posted by hollywood63 View Post
    Roo Roo sounds like the same story I'm getting
    Was told mine is shipping today it was ordered 12/6/20 we'll see if it shows by the time I get back in town Friday

Quote Originally Posted by hollywood63 View Post
    Was told mine is shipping today it was ordered 12/6/20 we'll see if it shows by the time I get back in town Friday
    12/18...so guess I’m still a few weeks out

Boolit Master
    Got a shipping notice from Sharpshooter so mine should arrive this week. His website has no contact info but it was included with the shipping notice. Still wondering about the thickness of the flashing material I will need given the size of a typical .44 boolit gas check shank. Hoping there are good instructions.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    Thanks for pointing that out. Just got an order in for one. Last time I had looked they had been unavailable also.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12