MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Wideners

Thread: What do you use for annealing spent 22 cases

Boolit Bub

What do you use for annealing spent 22 cases

As the title states. Is there an oven or kiln out there that won't break the bank. I don't want to do this in the house hold oven. One at a time is out of the question.

Thanks

Boolit Master
    Currently I use a lee dipper pot. I'm going to experiment with induction heating this summer.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Man
    I use a "Tabletop Furnace". It will give you up to little over 2000 degree temp (what ever temp you set) and is controlled. They run about $400, and have many other uses as well.

Metal coffee can on my gas grill.

Really any metal can without the white liner I would think.
    If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.
    SASS 17373
    Proud Dad of a USAF Airman

I bought a Lee melter furnace (About $40) Heat 22 hulls until they turn color stirring with a metal rod. Then dump. Hard to mess up.
    Attachment 275883
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Banned
    I put mine on a grill in a broiler pan.You don't have to get them very hot...maybe 500°F or so. (make sure there ain't any live ones in there. I had one go off and "ptwang" nice dent in the broiler pan)

May Liberty Increase!
    Muffle furnace

First time I used it I had a block of brass afterward. I put a PID on it after that.

Boolit Master
    Set a lead pot with brass in a wood stove for 10/15 min. Or put it on a coleman camp stove.

Boolit Master

Used to use my self cleaning oven & it worked well. I have since aquired a small table top kiln or mufflel furnace with a pid control. It will heat to over 2000 degrees so I can heat treat dies & punches as well as aneal brass for jackets. I was lucky though. I found it on flea-bay for a little over $100 & it works as advertised.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by midnight View Post
    Used to use my self cleaning oven & it worked well. I have since aquired a small table top kiln or mufflel furnace with a pid control. It will heat to over 2000 degrees so I can heat treat dies & punches as well as aneal brass for jackets. I was lucky though. I found it on flea-bay for a little over $100 & it works as advertised.

Bob
    Bob, does that muffled furnace run on gas or electricity? I need something like that ...was thinking about making one with propane.

Boolit Master

The furnace is a Thermoline 1400. It runs on 110 volts. It was originally analog with a needle going up to 2100 degrees. The previous owner installed a pid controler & used it to aneal 22lr jackets. It had a wire basket that just fit inside to hold the jackets which I promptly lost. I'm making a new one of 1/4 in hardware cloth. The inside is only about 4x4 & 6 inches deep. Plenty big enough to harden & aneal dies & punches as well as aneal jackets.

Bob

Boolit Grand Master
    I use a devise I chuck in my hand drill. Rather like a socket on an extension arm. Drop the case in the "socket", spin and hold in the flame of a gas torch (the kind available at any hardware store). Takes 3 or 4 seconds to heat the case to annealing temps and them I dump it out on a plywood tray~ repeat with another case. I only heat the neck / shoulder area. Can do hundreds in no time. There is a learning curve with this method. Got to know when to stop the heat. I count to myself to attain the cadence. This is a learned skill, so there is a learning curve involved, but if I can do it, anybody can. Works really good, too.

Banned
    If you are trying to figure out how to anneal 22lr cases...like I said before...It is as easy as firing up a grill ( I use gas but I imagine you can use charcoal too.) and pouring a few thousand on a broiler pan and let them heat for a 15 minutes. You can adjust the time and yada yada. But basically it is that easy. (from my experience)

The furnace is a Thermoline 1400. It runs on 110 volts. It was originally analog with a needle going up to 2100 degrees. The previous owner installed a pid controler & used it to aneal 22lr jackets. It had a wire basket that just fit inside to hold the jackets which I promptly lost. I'm making a new one of 1/4 in hardware cloth. The inside is only about 4x4 & 6 inches deep. Plenty big enough to harden & aneal dies & punches as well as aneal jackets.

Bob
    I made the mistake of putting hardware cloth in my kiln one time. It's soldered together. At least the hardware cloth I had was. What a mess!

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master

I'll have to test a piece of hardware cloth in the furnace. The basket I lost was of expanded metal. Maybe he used that for a reason. I'll have to look harder for it. I was unable to find any expanded metal so I chose hardware cloth. We'll see how the test goes. Thanks for the tip.

Bob

Banned
    Here is a chart:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	anneal brass.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	276071

May Liberty Increase!
    I was unable to find any expanded metal...
    If you are willing to drive a bit, try Metal Supermarkets 2000 Pewaukee Road Suite M, Waukesha, WI, 53188. They should be able to get it if they don’t have the size you want.

Tractor Supply usually has some small pieces in the welding aisle, if one of those is close.
    WANTED: CH AutoChamp Mark IV, V, or Va - PM me if you've got one you'd like to part with.

Boolit Master

I've got a Tractor Supply two miles away and Waukesha is only about 15 miles. I just tried Ace Hardware. Thanks for the tip.

Bob

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by kc3ak View Post
    I use a "Tabletop Furnace". It will give you up to little over 2000 degree temp (what ever temp you set) and is controlled. They run about $400, and have many other uses as well.
    KC3AK - Can you share a little about which model and how you put the cases in? What kind of tray are you using?

Boolit Man
    I use the RAPIDFIRE PRO-L furnace. It has a front opening door, and a digital controller for temp control. To hold the rimfire cases I just use a cleaned tomato can (take the label off and run it empty once to burn off the glue etc). Just pick a size that will fit in the firing chamber and dump in maybe 3/4 can full of brass. When it gets up to about 1000* let it soak for 5-10 minutes, then let it cool down and you are good to go.