RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxPBcastco
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: 2021 ncbs

Boolit Man

2021 ncbs

Friends! The 21st Nevada Cast Bullet Shoot is scheduled for June 4, 5 and 6 at the Humboldt County Shooting Park just north of Winnemucca. Please consider this post the invitation for past and new participants to come spend quality time with a group of great folks and do a bunch of shooting!

Competition targets shot during the event fall into two categories, group and score:
    Group targets test the caster/ reloader and any shooting position is allowed so long as no rest such as a bipod is attached to the firearm.
    Score targets test shooting skills and are shot from an unsupported (no sling) offhand position.

Open competition events include:
    100 yard score—5 shots any sight
    100 yard group—5 shots any sight
    50 yard score—5 shots iron sights
    50 yard group—5 shots iron sights
    25 yard pistol score—5 shots iron sight, 10 inch max barrel length
    25 yard pistol group—5 shots iron sight, 10 inch max barrel length
    25 yard companion gun score—5 shots each iron sight rifle and pistol offhand shooting same ammo
    Long range—5 shots iron sight/any non-prone field position on 400 yard plate
    Practical rifle—10 shots iron sight offhand in 3 minutes shooting at multiple plates between 100 and 200 yards

Each shooter can make only one official entry per event with a particular gun, but multiple entries are allowed with other firearms. Sharing use of guns is the key here to see if another shooter can do better with your gun!

There are also two ladies only events:
    100 yard score—5 shots any sight any position
    50 yard group—5 shots any sight any position

There will be a kickoff lunch at the Griddle at 1:00 on Friday. Saturday we will start shooting at 8:00 and hold a potluck dinner that evening at the range clubhouse. Sunday we will shoot until mid afternoon, tear down the range targets and head back to our rooms to clean up for a final group dinner at a local restaurant. Each participant is requested to bring two prizes to this dinner to be awarded by random drawing. Typical prizes include surplus bullet molds or reloading gear/supplies. There may also be additional vendor-supplied prizes.

Looking forward to seeing my old fields and making new ones!

Boolit Master
    This is a good one! I'll be there for sure. If you have never tried NCBS you should. We have a great range and lots of fun! Even if you aren't sure what you want to shoot-- come on out and borrow what you need (I only plan to bring about a dozen firearms and lots of ammo-- be happy to share).
    Hick: Iron sights!

Banned

What about social distancing and masks?

Boolit Man
    I suspect that by the time this event takes place, most if not all of the participants will have had the opportunity to be immunized.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smithnframe View Post
    What about social distancing and masks?
    The range here in Winnemucca is pretty wide open-- so social distancing is easy. Also, we usually have at least a gentle breeze-- sometimes more, so that we don't have to worry about virus hanging around for the next person to breathe (2020 was downright windy!). The net result is that we had no difficulty in 2020 enjoying each other's company and sharing the range safely.

I was super-protecting in 2020 (wife has health issues) and had no difficulty-- and everyone was very cooperative.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    This event is about as much fun as you should be allowed to have. Since this event is outdoors with considerable breeze after mid-morning plus intense UV light (elevation 5,000 feet in the desert) social distancing isn't much of a problem. I can hardly wait. It is worth our 650 mile one way trip to get there every year. We get there a couple days early for rockhounding for opal and agate, taking NCBS friends sightseeing through ghost towns and into the high country of the Santa Rosa Mountains, and maybe a little real long range plinking. We stay at the Shady Court Motel but if you prefer to camp, I know some excellent places that I have used in the past complete with water (alpine streams or a pond) so just send me a PM for ideas.
    Last edited by quilbilly; 01-24-2021 at 06:17 PM.

Boolit Master

EVERY year when I see information (pre or post event) about this gathering I wish I was/had been there.

It seems like a great shoot with a great group of folks that don't let the shooting get in the way of the FUN!
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    TC if you want to go and swing down to I-40 , I've been and would love to go back again . I was about 2.5 hr away then now I'd have to meet you in Ft Smith AR .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Made my motel reservations yesterday. I can hardly wait.

Boolit Master
    This year we are adding a military rifle shoot. Bolts and semi's are welcome. The rules are TBD. A longer range Contender shoot (maximum barrel length of 12" with iron sights) is also being thought about.

Boolit Master
    This year there will be award plaques for ladies high score rifle, mens high score pistol iron sights (new), and the long range iron sight rifle shoot (new).
    Last edited by quilbilly; 05-28-2021 at 06:07 PM.

Boolit Man
    There will be a new battle rifle match this year. The course of fire will be offhand at four steel plates at TBD distances to be decided at the Rools Committee Meeting Friday evening. The plates will be set at 4 distances between 50 and less than 200 yards, with increasing size at greater distance. Starting at the closest plate, each plate must be hit twice before moving to the next, with best time for eight hits winning.
    There will be classes for both semi autos and bolt guns with a maximum load/reload capacity of eight rounds.

Boolit Master
    Conditions for the event on the ten day forecast look like highs in the mid to low 80's and quite windy. Two days earlier and the temps would be in the mid 90's which explains the higher winds. Plan on your longer range shooting to be in the morning. I can hardly wait to see everyone on Friday.

Boolit Man
    One change to the schedule—the Friday lunch at the Griddle will be at 12:00.

Moderator Emeritus

I hope that all had a great time and I'm looking forward to a write up.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    It was another great get together, and the weather held out once again! I have to say, one of the best things we did for this gathering, was move it to the current time window. Can't say that I miss having it rain, snow and blow - all in the same day!
    I'm sure Fast Asleep will be on, and update the competition aspect in the next few days, but as usual, the social part of the weekend was wonderful! Lots of good time spent jawing, comparing notes, and reminiscing with friends, who feel more like family.
    Sad to part company, but looking forward to next year already!

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Boolit Man
    Following are the results for this year’s shoot:

100 yd group—Tim 1.09”, Bruce 1.63”, Tom 1.70”, Katherine 2.04” and Alex 2.04”

100 yd score—no entries due to wind

50 yd group—Alex 1.00”, Walt 1.27”, Bruce 1.40”, Ron 2.40” and Don 3.59”

50 yd score—Tim 47-1x, Rick 45, Don 42 and Walt 40

25 yd group—Tim 1.67”

25 yd score—Tim 48 2x and Walt 35

25 yd Companion score—Tim 98 4x, Bruce 91 2x, Ron 90 1x, Tom 69 1x and Walt 63 1x

400 yd—Tim 4/5 and Alex 2/5

Battle Rifle Semi Auto—Don 8/2:09, Rick 8/3:12, Bruce 8/3:41, Walt 7/2:08, Tim 7/2:25 and Daniel 5/2:25

Battle Rifle bolt—Tim 8/1:59, Don 5/2:08, Bruce 5/3:16

It was great seeing everyone and look forward to next year!