Quote Originally Posted by dale2242 View Post
    Outpost75, great story.
    Country folks know how to get it done.
    Indeed!
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by higgins View Post
    Ballistol mixed with water is a good corrosive primer solvent. Ballistol says as little as 10 percent Ballistol will work, but I use more Ballistol in my mix. Good for black powder guns too. I like to use straight Ballistol as the final wipe down in bores that have fired corrosive primers. So far, so good.
    I agree. Ballistol is good stuff.

Boolit Master

I just bought a can of Ballistol.
    I will give it a try.

Boolit Master
    Funny, I was reading earlier today about this problem in Phil Sharpe's book. He stated something to the effect that if you are not sure of the solvent you have use hot water, it will work. I have a couple older milsurps with nice bores and a little corrosive ammo. All I have is current solvents so hot water it is.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Helmer View Post
    Outpost75,

I like a story with happy ending! LOL. I see a sermon in your post. If I get writer's cramp in future, I will use your text in this rural county. Everyone knows Hoppes #9. Many thanks.

Be well.

Adam
    If you choose to do so I would love to have a copy of the sermon.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    For bore cleaner I am an Ed's Red convert. It works really well, especially with powder coated cast bullets (I think the acetone does that trick). Have never fired any corrosive primers so don't know how well it will work with them.

I like that story too. Reminds me of taking my daughter out to the range with me one day. When we got home she sat down with me to clean the pistols at the kitchen table. She didn't tell me there was a boy coming over that evening. When my wife let him in his eyes became the size of saucers looking at the two of us and guns laying around. He didn't last The one she married was an Air Force brat (she was an Army brat) and he now has my father's 1911.

PS her 8th grade science project was measuring the penetration of bullets vs muzzle velocity. Funniest part is she has become our little liberal, moderate, but, liberal. Her husband and their friends are conservatives (they live in South Carolina).

Boolit Master

I have some old Vietnam era Octagon Process GI bore cleaner that works great.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    I still have couple cases of corrosive 7.62x39 bought in the early 90's. It's reserved for emergency use these day.

Out of curiosity I grabbed my bottle of Hoppe's bought sometime around fifteen years ago. It still says removes corrosive primer fouling.

Weren’t any you guys in service. In boot camp we had to take our rifles in the shower with us. I’m not a great black powder nut but I can’t abide the shortcuts them come up with to clean side locks. I clean in hot soapy water and rinse in boiling water. It dries in front of your eyes. Then oil to put away.

Boolit Master
    Homade GI bore cleaner from my Dad.
    To a gallon of hot water add 1/2 cup Arm and Hammer washing soda and 1/2 cup household ammonia and stir till well dissolved. Then add a cup of clean white kerosene.
    Always shake the mix as the kerosene will separate on sitting, but then just swab out the bore with patches and a scrub brush and wipe everything down with this mix.
    It's a good cleaner and floats off all the crud.
    Wipe everything off with dry paper towels or clean rags and see what you think?
    I call it the poor man's Ballistol.
    You can wash off car batteries with it too. A good degreaser with out the kerosene.
    The kerosene seems to leave an oily shine on gun metal without oiling the gun.After the wipe off let it airdry.
    You can always add a drop of oil if you think you need it.
    Really great on stainless steel guns too.
    When you shake this stuff up it gets milky like Ballistol does.
    You don't want to let this get on any brass or brass cartridge cases.
    It's really surprising how fast it works.Just let it set in the bore five minutes and patch it out and pull a fresh wet patch then dry patches and let air dry and oil if you like.
    A gallon will last you awhile and its cheap.Just shake it before you use it.
    Last edited by Alferd Packer; 03-16-2021 at 06:26 AM.

Boolit Master

Just for giggles, do a search for "Enfield cleaning funnel"

The Brits had a specialty metal funnel contoured to slot into the breech of a No 1 that allowed them to pour boiling water down the bore. I figure if you have a flexy-nozzled plastic transmission fluid funnel with an outlet smaller than the base of your cartridge, you're good to go.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Plumbing supply houses sell drainline in a clear smoke grey colored plastic tubing that is used for drain lines for air conditioners and dehumidifier units.
    It comes in 100 ft coils and many different OD and IDs. Usually sold by the foot.
    Cobble up a bore flush tool.

Good and interesting information here, but I don't think anybody answered the question. I too have a number of cans of GI Bore Cleaner. They have three different PO number formats.
    For example, (28-024) 44-40700-6, or 727-42-19004 FSDA or 43-18168.
    I was given to understand that in the first format the production date was 1944; for the second format the production date was 1942; and for the third format the production date was 1943.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    I know the old stuff sure had funky cans. Don’t think the bore cleaner liked the cans or the cardboard in the cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't ever remember #9 being good for corrosive ammo. In the 80's when we shot lots of surplus ammo we always used GI bore cleaner from WW2. Learned the hard way with #9's inability to clean corrosive ammo away. I had an old SMLE and used cordite, cleaned with #9 and oiled and next day I had a sewer pipe of a barrel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12