Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Lets talk storage!

Boolit Grand Master

A friends wife uses some kind of fancy coffee creamer that comes in 1/2 gallon wide mouth heavy plastic jugs with a side handle. He saves them for me. I only cast about 4 times a year, with a couple of buddies and I try to cast more than a years supply evertime we cast. I've managed to get ahead of the game. I store these on the shelf under my loading bench with the info written on the front of the jug.

You guys talking about Uline; We recently moved and I scored a whole bedroom for my loading room. I bought 2 butcher block work bench tops, several shelves and some other stuff from them. Its a good company. They sell lots of good stuff. Warehouse stuff, office stuff, packaging and shipping stuff, ect.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    If you drink box wine, the empty cardboard boxes can be cut down to whatever size you want. Very practical and cheap if you drink wine.

Boolit Master
    I also make boxes for my cast and sized/lubed bullets, usually 100 per layer several layers deep with cardboard between layers. Bullets not sized/lubed are loose in cigar boxes until processed. Brass is in plastic coffee cans before processing and then bagged and labeled and stored in a plastic tub. A lot of my 45 brass is in the discarded boxes and trays people toss at the range. Do have some "store bought" plastic boxes for rifle ammo, stored in the "fat" 50 cans, and loaded 45 ACP in factory boxes in a regular 50 cal can. The standard 50 cal cans are useful for storing miscellaneous ammo.

Boolit Master
    14 years and this thread keeps popping up. Hot topic, I suppose!

Since I moved onto PC'ing my boolits, I'm a little less caring about the nature of their storage. Now I throw them loose into a 4x4 Uline box after they've been PC'd and sized. I shoot so many these days it doesn't seem worth it to package them up in 100x boxes. And the Uline 4x4 boxes also are great for loose ammo storage. A box will hold 300 loaded 9mm cartridges, or 200 38spl with 358311s. I haven't counted others because I mostly shoot 9mm and 38 these days.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

You can buy cardboard boxes on any size pretty cheap in bulk. Really cheap, ask your buddies that reload commercial bullets to give you their boxes. There are several apps for your phone that you can track your components with. I like simple solutions.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Dunno if it was mentioned but if you want a bunch of similar containers make nicey nice with a restaurant or deli. Unfortunately, the number 10 cans won't have lids, but they can be sourced or made.

I'm glad this thread came alive again. I still have a few of the old Midway USA blue boxes, but they do not make them any more. MTM has a "Cast Bullet Box". It's a green-tinted clear plastic box. Same live hinge that will fail eventually. Something like 3x3x3".

The small cardboard box was a good idea. I went to Amazon and searched for 4x4x4" carboard box and found those and many other small sizes. This one is intriguing, being something approximately like a commercial jacketed bullet box, which someone in the older part of this thread had suggested:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08FDCQCQD/

Another interesting size: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072TVFQ2J/
    Last edited by TXTad; 02-15-2023 at 01:56 AM.

Boolit Master
    I'm always on the lookout for smallish boxes to use for bullets or brass. Car parts boxes are some of the best since they are made to contain heavy items. Brake pad boxes are one of my favorites. I also have been known to glue pieces of cardboard into cardboard boxes that aren't quite strong enough to beef them up. I want boxes that are stackable since I have more stuff to store than I do space to put it. For small quantities of bullets - like 100 or so - I use boxes my spouse brings home from work that held all sorts of electronics components. She brought me multiple huge garbage bags of these boxes so I have more than a lifetime supply.

I use peanut butter jars and Miracle Whip jars.
    The square plastic spice containers from Sam's Club make better use of space.
    I don't go with glass because of the danger of breakage if dropped.

Boolit Master
    I have a bunch of the blue plastic boxes as well as cookie tins. Store bought cast bullets stay in their respective heavy cardboard shipping boxes. Frank

Boolit Buddy
    I have been casting for quite a while and do NOT see why I would want to separate bullets by different lead mixtures. My experiences have shown that maintaining the exact same ratio of lead/tin or any other metal to be very important. If I shoot two different ratios, I end up with two different results and void my accuracy load. Whatever bullet lead I produce, I do with about 100 -150# of ALL THE EXACT SAME MIXTURE. I then pour it into molds and have a consistent supply. I do not mean to sound simplistic or a know it all, I just believe that gives me a better product.

I'm all about the peanut butter jars, my wife tries to throw them away without me knowing it. Also use the small ammo cans.
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Quote Originally Posted by wheelgunner View Post
    I use new boxes from Uline ( http://www.uline.com/ ) I order them by the 100 (the 4X4X4 boxes I lke are only .16 ea), they hold 4-500 depending on the size. I fill em up just like the cast boolits you buy in the store and place them on a shelf where I can easily determine the quantity on hand and what size I might need to cast next. I save the empties and refill em next time I cast. I have about 70 boxes filled up on the shelf. They also have a miriad of different style boxes at Uline, I'm sure they'll have what you're looking for. BTW, if I order before 2pm, I have them the next day UPS from PA to MA!

I have no connection to Uline, just very happy with their product and service!
    LOL me too but I get the 2x4x8 holds like 500 as I used to buy at gun shows till i started casting

Quote Originally Posted by torker View Post
    FWIW, What I do is stop by my local Post Office and for " Free " grab several priority boxes. They work just fine. sturdy cardboard, They also have free lables that have a large blank space for information on boolits. just place a square piece of cardboard between layers.

thease are where i store my brass

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce381 View Post
    LOL me too but I get the 2x4x8 holds like 500 as I used to buy at gun shows till i started casting
    That's what I have been doing since I started PCing boolits. But I also use them for loaded ammo, 300rds of 9mm will fit in one. Which makes it quite convenient for breaking down into two range sessions.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Buddy
    I might be showing my age. Heres some I saved from the 70s

Attachment 319341

I het nice boxes from my friends that buy plated Extreme bullets. Holds 1000/9-38 or 500/40-45.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol