WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3 Used Lead Furnaces

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I bought a 20 lb Lee to do that with my Lyman furnace, and never got around to it. Then found a used Master Caster (40 lb pot) so I have a new Lee sitting on the shelf. Should put it on EvilBay and sell it. LOL

But your idea is a good one.
    I shamelessly stole the idea from a shot maker I saw. It was designed that way so you could keep the head pressure steady on the dripper.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Grand Master
    A couple more thoughts.

The 10 pound Lee will be able to keep up with a double cavity mold quite easily, but it may lack capacity to effectively use a six cavity mold. I generally use mine for pure lead round balls. It is easy to see the spout on though.

If you plan to piggyback two pots, you may want to run another separate electrical circuit to run the second pot from. I don't know what you have, but better to be safe than sorry.

Robert

Boolit Master
    I have all 3 and the last one i got was the Lyman 61.

I fixed the plug in and it has been used for 5 years or more.

The others are on the floor.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rcmaveric View Post
    One of my future projects is to mount a 20lb bottom pour pot above another 20lb pour pot. So the top pot can fill the bottom. Then reload the top and cast away while the top melts.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    I did that, putting my 4-20 over the ProMelt I refurbished. I used a hole saw to open the aluminum base to let the lead stream through. The ProMelt is wide enough to allow clamping the 4-20 on top, though I did get hardware from Lee to shorten the distance from spout to base.

I hate fiddling with the alloy stream as the head pressure decreases as the pot empties, especially as I have to fiddle it back once I refill the pot. With stacked pots I'll cast no more than a quarter pot, refill from the top, recharge the top with sprues and ingots, and then cast another quarter pot, etc., without having much change in head pressure and without ever having to mess with the adjustment screw.

Boolit Master

Just another opinion, the Pro-Melt is the best score. Mine is at least 40 years old and still going strong.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

I am using a Lee pot just like that. I like that it's fairly easy to see the spout. If I can't see the spout I usually make a mess trying to hit the sprue holes.

Maybe I'll grow up someday & do better.

Sam Sackett

Boolit Mold
    I just pick up a Sacco model 24 pot for $50 at legs.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beeser View Post
    I don't know whether it's a US or European version but if you look closely at the nameplate it shows 240AC 800W. It didn't come with a plug. I put one (240V) on and it quickly melted a few small bars of lead.
    That’s interesting.

When I tried to order the 240v Promelt 2 from RCBS (because they didn’t have the 110 and I have a 220 in my garage), they said it was for the European adapters only.

Boolit Bub
    I have a Saeco that's the same post as your Lyman which I absolutely love. I also have a Pro Melt. Those old Lyman/Saecos are awesome.

Boolit Bub
    I have the first two pictured and I really really like the Lyman, mine is beat to heck and it still heats fast and pours smooth.
    I even ran zinc through it once.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12