Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1867 Navy Rolling Block .50 Pistol Chamber

Boolit Grand Master

And do not overlook the lowly round ball in your baby roller shooting. A pure lead (40-1 and range scrap works nicely) with a full case of F Goex makes a fine plinker load that will do in any critter it hits. From bunnies to corn crunchers have been slammed to the dirt by far less.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Mold
    missionary5155 --- Thanks! I might be tempted to try that if I had a supply of .50 cal rb's.
    Are you advocating using fg and not ffg? That's brings up a question..... If I substitute fg for ffg would that be a viable method of reducing chamber pressures?
    "
    From bunnies to corn crunchers" How about taking down a wild boar with one if these pistols? Now that would be exciting.

Boolit Master

FG is coarser than FFG. It has a slower burn rate, thus lower pressure than FFG.

Boolit Mold
    ndnchf --- Thanks that confirms my beliefs. This thing is old like myself and deserves to be treated tenderly. Besides I have about 1/2 pound of Dupont Fg that I've had since the Civil War centennial. Back then we were playing around with .44 Cap & Ball. Don't remember the reason for fg but it worked just fine.

Boolit Mold
    **** UpDate ****

Received some pre-cast 300gn, .50 Rem bullets from Old West.
    Pushed one through the bore to make sure the .508 dia would engage the
    rifling sufficiently. It did. I was concerned because from the bbl slugs and the castings
    I did those showed that .508 might be a bit under-sized.

After I cut down the original 50-70 Starline brass to a case length of .925 I measured out
    the prescribed 25gn of BP. But since I only have Fg (not FFg) on hand I was only able to load
    with 20gns and still have the bullet seat down to below the lube recess ring.

Have not yet made it to the range to test fire but plan to in the next few coming days.

.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	50-Rem.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	288372
    Last edited by M1871; 09-07-2021 at 11:51 AM.

Boolit Master

Looks good. I look forward to your range report.

Boolit Master
    Sure looks like that would be a fun round in a 5-shot cylinder in a Ruger stainless Blackhawk. GF

Boolit Master
    ndnchf, in most cases and chambers / SHARPS, can a RB, be substituted for a bullet? I ask because I shoot a RB'S, in my SHARPS & JOSLYN, & GALIGHER. ETC. with out any problems. just courious, thanking you. toot.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    ndnchf, in most cases and chambers / SHARPS, can a RB, be substituted for a bullet? I ask because I shoot a RB'S, in my SHARPS & JOSLYN, & GALIGHER. ETC. with out any problems. just courious, thanking you. toot.
    For short range plinking, I don't see why not. Just be sure to put some lube on it.

Boolit Master
    ndnchf, thank you sir for the answer to my question. I will lube the ball after loading it with a dab of WONDER LUBE.

Boolit Mold
    = Range Report =
    Finally made it to the range. I loaded a total of 10 rounds. Set the target at about 12 yards. First two rounds must of went over the top. I compensated by aiming lower and managed to get the remaining 8 rounds on target.

Not to make excuses but I must say that the trigger pull on this pistol is horrendous and the sights leave a lot to be desired.

Here are the specs on the rounds I loaded
    Case: trimmed skyline 50-70 brass to a case length of .925
    Bullet: .508, 300 gn from Old West Moulds
    Lube: bees wax & Olive Oil 50/50
    Powder: 20gn of Fg Black powder
    Primer: CCI large pistol
    C.O.L. : 1.40

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M1871-Target.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	137.4 KB 
ID:	288874 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bench.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	203.8 KB 
ID:	288879
    Last edited by M1871; 09-17-2021 at 08:33 PM.

Boolit Master

Most excellent - glad you got it shooting!

Boolit Mold
    ndnchf Hello just stumbled across your posts on the CASCity forum regarding ....
    M1871 Springfield Spencer Shooting 50-45 Cartridges

Very interesting reading especially since I just acquired a 1865 Burnside Spencer.
    I don't have the carbine in my possesion yet but I'm pretty certian I'll be facing the enjoyment
    of developing a cartridge for it.

I'll follow your thread at CASCity. I just discovered them today. Have been trying to get registered
    but for some reason can not get their confrmation emails. So for now I will not be able to post reply's.

Also... enjoyed the video you put out regarding firing your Springfield converted Spencer.
    Last edited by M1871; 09-20-2021 at 11:08 AM.

Boolit Master

M1871 - I hope you get the registration worked out over there. The Spencer forum has a ton if great information. There are well over 30 antique firearms related videos on my youtube channel. Feel free to browse them and subscribe. https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...tvKtcAr3VWEUrT

Boolit Master
    now I like that. people seem to forget that the RB'S will shoot in just about any BP, gun, maybe not MOA, but still fun. jmho.

Boolit Mold
    ndnchf ---
    I did manage to get the CASCity.com registration straightened out.
    You are right... the forum is loaded with very useful info the on the Spencer.
    I think I have already watched all of your videos.
    Will subscribe so as not to miss any future videos.

Until I get my hands on the Spencer I acquired, about all I can do now is to read up on all that I can find on the topic.

I'm hoping the bore is in decent condition so that I can turn this into a shooter. Will be interesting to do a chamber casting to see exactly what I have.

From what I do know.... it's a post civil war Burnside Spencer carbine, fitted with the
    Spencer cut-off (not the Stabler) device and the bore is stated as ".52" It's coming back to the U.S. from Uruguay. So.... no telling what stories it could tell.
    Last edited by M1871; 09-21-2021 at 06:38 PM.

Boolit Master

Looking forward to seeing it!

Boolit Mold
    ndnchf ---
    Yes, Needless to say.... I too am looking forward to seeing it in person.
    Once I get it, I'll post pictures on CASCity's Spencer forum.
    See you over there

Boolit Master
    some years ago I bought 6 rim fire cartridges 38, CAL. that used a 22 blank for ignition, from a great dealer in TEXAS, who sold all kinds of off the wall manufactured brass & cast bullets, by the name of BOB HAWLEY, I believe that is how it is spelt? any one know if he is still in business? the phone # doesn't work. and he would only take a message then call back.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    some years ago I bought 6 rim fire cartridges 38, CAL. that used a 22 blank for ignition, from a great dealer in TEXAS, who sold all kinds of off the wall manufactured brass & cast bullets, by the name of BOB HAWLEY, I believe that is how it is spelt? any one know if he is still in business? the phone # doesn't work. and he would only take a message then call back.
    I believe he has passed over the great divide....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast