Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carpenter Bee Load

Boolit Master
    I loaded steel cut oats in a .410 with a primer, shot cup and over shot card glued in with Elmer’s.
    Knocks down Carpenter bees at 20’, pulverizes wasp nests. Just a “pop!” of sound actually less than my pellet rifle. It might actually be a good reason to own one of the Judge style revolvers.

Boolit Grand Master

I like bees! They are good.

I don't like yellow jackets, black faced hornets or many of those other aggressive and eager to sting insects though. I guess they have their place in the eco system too but there seems to be increasing populations of these guys... and they kill bees! However, when I have to take care of a yellow jacket nest there is no mercy! No .38 special or .44 with salt, grits, Cream 'O Wheat or anything wimpy like that it is a shotgun shell loaded with birdshot! I wouldn't use it for a single yellow jacket but it sure eliminates a nest quickly! Been there, done that! The carnage is very satisfying for a guy who was swarmed with yellow jackets and stung a couple dozen times when he was a kid!

Longbow

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    I like bees! They are good.

Longbow
    I like honey bees, they are practically endangered. Carpenter bees are very destructive to houses and fence posts.

Wasps and hornets get sprayed with insecticide from a distance or shot with steel cut oats.

Yellow jackets get a 20 oz soda bottle 1/2 filled with gasoline shoved neck first down their hole. Since I usually find them by getting stung while mowing it takes some resolve to not light the gas fumes but it works best to just let the fumes suffocate everything in the nest.

Boolit Grand Master

Yeah, I guess I am not real familiar with carpenter bees. Bumble bees and honey bees I like! Been stung by both but not often and not usually the bee's fault. Not sure about carpenter bees though I have heard of them. It seems some species like yellow jackets are on the increase and possibly due to man's interference in the environment. Now we have the Japanese murder hornets in B.C. and Washington state to deal with! Those might take a little harder hitting load than grits, cornmeal, salt or whatever. They are big!

Longbow

Boolit Master

Adam, probably you're right but it's about shooting and the sport of it. Not the end result but the process./beagle

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Helmer View Post
    Shooting bees in the city limits of the nearby town would get the gun confiscated and a night in jail for the shooter. When it comes to carpenter bees and hornets, I prefer bee spray with a 25 foot range. LOL.

Adam
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Friend in Ohio uses rice for his carpenter bee loads.

No such flying, boring/drilling monsters here. Yellow jackets get the brake cleaner treatment, or even wd-40 flame thrower... but don't do that around the house. You'll set it on fire!

Boolit Master

Well, as much as I hate to admit it, my wife just a few minutes ago put me in the shade. I was using a Red Rider BB to shoot at boreing bees behind the house. Distance was usually around 8 to 10 feet. Well, I took 6 shots and "nadda". My wife reaches for the BB and on her 3rd shot brought down one at about 8 feet. You talk about humble pie, I just had a great big ol piece. james

Boolit Master

They are back here in SW Oregon.
    I got a few yesterday afternoon with my 44 walnut shell loads.
    I have some super small lead shot coming for bee loads.

Boolit Bub
    I think I might have to try some of these in my back yard since the carpenter bees and out again.

Boolit Mold
    As difficult ( or impossible ) as it is to get primers I'm not wasting them or powder on carpenter bees, a badminton racket works fine.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommygun2000 View Post
    As difficult ( or impossible ) as it is to get primers I'm not wasting them or powder on carpenter bees, a badminton racket works fine.
    My daughter doesn't think so. She got stung once using the badminton racket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6K6esiJgdk

This guy makes simple traps anyone can make, save your primers unless you are really bored. You Tube is full of carpenter bee trap ideas.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master
    The Amish east of me make a bunch of traps but I enjoy looking like a crazy man waving my .45 around. If someone can see me they are over a quarter mile on my land so they can't say anything.

I go old school with BP revolvers. 6-8gn 2F, cylinders full of uncooked rice, newspaper wads seated to hold it all in. 10-12ft range. Good stuff.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12