RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boolit loads in the old classics with Herco powder...................

Boolit Buddy

Boolit loads in the old classics with Herco powder...................

Recently was given an almost full caddy of Alliant Herco powder. I am thinking of loading some reduced load cast boolits for my 09' Argentine with 175 gr. lead boolits. Seems hard to find data for this powder? Anybody got any great ideas? Am down to about half a pound of RL7 which is my go-to powder, so wanted to work with something new until RL7 becomes available once again................

Boolit Master

That makes two of us! I have started half to a full grain under the minimum of Unique. Would like to see data for 300 grainers in the 45 Colt. Not looking for barn burners, just accuracy! Got one three screw Blackhawk, and one NMB.

Have gotten decent groups out of a 7mm BR XP-100, still playing with that, 10.5-11 grains, can't remember, will have to look at notes. It is holding about a half inch bigger group than them modern things. Butttttttt it very well could be the loose nut holding the grip. YMMV!!

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks much for your reply. Been going thru some stuff and ran across an early 70's Lyman cast bullet Handbook. The Herco loading for just about everything in .308 starts at 12.0 grs. and tops out at 15.5 grs. For 30'06 the numbers are 13.0 and 16.0 Grs. respectively. Hope this may help someone out there. Kind of not real crazy about trying to work up new, accurate loads with "strange" old powders, but who knows; it might be the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow!!!.............

Boolit Master

I've got a canister of Herco with about 6 pounds left in it that I've been trying to find a use for. Thanks for the ideas.

Boolit Master
    I have used a lot of Herco in my Krag and 30-06. A good load for a plain base 175gr in the Krag is 9.5 to 10grs., and I was shooting 175 gr gas check bullets in the 30-06 with around 12.5 gr.
    I don't like to load those shotgun powders much above 13 grs, as my accuracy usually started to go away quickly. You might be surprised at how well 12.5 grains shoots, and not need any more velocity.

Banned

Great with cast bullet loads in the '06. Ten shots at 100 yards. Ideal 311284 and 13 grains of Herco.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	.30-06 13 grains Herco 16 June 20.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	275641

Boolit Buddy
    Wow; thats a really nice group!!! Did you use any type of filler below the bullet? Sure be glad when warm weather gets here........................

Banned

No filler. Not needed with the fast burning powders like Herco and Unique, 2400, etc.

Boolit Master

Nice group!
    I only have 4 pound jug, so I will have a good long time making it disappear!
    Eight grains seems to be a load that both Blackhawks like!

Boolit Master

!3 gr works well in 8mm with 175 gr lee boolits and 308 win with 160 gr boolits.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Buddy
    I use it all the time. A lot like unique. 13 grains in my 30-06 for steel swinging targets.
    I also use it in reduced cast 44 mag loads

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    I keep at least 2 eight pounders of Herco , Unique , 2400 , Red Dot and H110 at all times . Any of these will make a good deer load in all but two cartridges I shoot excluding the Hornet and Bee . They will load them too but I would not class them as deer cartridges.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Bub
    I'm looking for some Herco, so If you don't have a use for it I might be interested in buying or trading.

I was given a partial can of Herco, think I know where I'm going to burn it up at.

Boolit Grand Master

Herco is one powder you don't see mentioned very often in reloading manuals ... about the only data I've found ... and it's not used often ... is in the RCBS Cast Bullet Manual No. 1 that's dated 1986 !
    I am also seeing Herco in a lot of handgun data in the Speer #8 (1970) and in Speer #9 (1974) but that's about all I find . Lyman #4 has nothing .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    All of the data I have is from a 73' or 74' cast bullet hand book(lyman), can't tell for sure which year because the covers front and back have fallen away from much use. There is an outfit out there called"Cornell Publications" that reprints old reloading and manuels of all kinds. I have 3 or 4 of their old reloading manuels that are really interesting................................

Boolit Mold
    I am going to tell you right now.
    If you order anything from Cornell you will use a disposable credit card or credit card number.
    Or some smart@ss kid will order up a bunch of flowers for some guy all the way across your state that you have never met, to seal the deal of a 100 nanny goats and his hand in marrage.
    No I am not kidding.

So you will use a disposable card or number to do so.

I am on here looking to load 130gr Lee 7mm bullet in the 7x57.
    Gentleman, if you could so point me, that would be great.

Boolit Grand Master
    Over the years I have used several pounds of Herco in Cast rifle loads. If I could find no data for it, I used Unique data, occasionally upping the the charge a half grain. These were not hot loads--seldom over 1450 fps, if that, but good accuracy with light loads in 30-30, 32-40 and 38-55 cartridges at 50-100 yards.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Look for those reprinted Cornell manuals on Amazon . Shouldn’t be C Card trouble there. I got the reprinted 1973 Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook a few years . Everyone should have one.
    Never trade luck for skill.

Boolit Master
    Is Herco no longer made?

Richhodg66 gas checks or no?

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast