Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shooting cast and jacketed bullets

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    The coating removes more than the check can deposit?
    Interesting thought. Wish I could prove it one way or another. But, it also removes what the jacketed bullets deposited as well?

Boolit Master
    I get to finally call this project done! Im getting 2” groups at 100yds with a GC 462-420 HP. The load is 32.5gr if 4198, CCI primer, and a Starline case. They are running 1446fps and the rifle is fun to shoot too.
    I can switch to 35.0gr if 3031 but the velocity drops back to low 1200s and the barrel is dirty.
    I am quite please to see it come together.
    "In GOD We Trust"

Boolit Master
    Recently I shot my Marlin 1894 44 Mag, and accuracy was poor and extraction was difficult. The problem was a lack of cleaning. So I first filled the bore with foaming bore cleaner and got zero copper evidence. Then it was bore brush and patches soaked with Hoppe's #9. There didn't seem to be an end to the carbon. Then I clamped the rifle to the end of my workbench, muzzle up; plugged the chamber with a size 00 rubber stopper and filled the barrel with Hoppe's #9. After soaking overnight, the carbon mopped out easily. It's a "let-the-chemistry-do-the-work" trick I learned from Ol' Elmer's "Guns & Ammo" column decades ago.

Boolit Master
    I switched to Ed's Red a while ago and it works well. Soaking is a great way to get at the hard stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by sghart3578 View Post
    I know the conventional wisdom is that your accuracy will suffer if you switch between the two.

But when I had a lot of jacketed bullets laying around (remember those days?) I could shoot jacketed 357 mags and cast 357 mags through my Marlin interchangeably and not see a difference in accuracy. A slightly different POI yes but the same group size.

YMMV

Steve in N CA
    This is my experience as well.

Boolit Master
    Forgot to note that I have had some of my best cast bullet groups after shooting jacketed first. Two cast 'fouling' rounds and then they are good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12