Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: powder measure for pistols

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Redding makes really good stuff.
    I'd at least try it with the small metering chamber before I went out and bought something else.
    Exactly. I have sold off my Lyman 55s and RCBS measures because my Redding is all that I need.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I bought a Colt National Match and the needed Lyman reloading equipment back in 1967 (I was the 3rd owner). I used that old orange 55 powder measure until last winter, then bought the new black one. I've found the new one works better without the baffle, judt keep the powder level somewhat consistent. Powder choice has an effect on consistency. The most consistent powder charges of any handgun powder has been with BE-86.

Boolit Buddy

I use an old RCBS Uniflow with a baffle. I tap twice at the top of the stroke and twice at the bottom of the stroke and get very consistent results, for my purposes, down to 1.5 grains. Consistent strokes and taps are key.

If you are looking to buy one I doubt you could do better than a Harrell's Precision Schuetzen Pistol Measure.

Boolit Master
    I've relied on a Belding&Mull for all my measuring needs for decades, with zero complaints. Charges as light as 2.2gr. B'eye (the lightest I do, for .32 S&W Long) come out flawlessly. I recently sprung for a Harrell's Schuetzen measure and have been kicking myself for not taking the plunge before now. What a joy it is to use, from light pistol charges up to rifle cast bullet powder charges.

Boolit Grand Master

I would like to emphasize the above comments that relate the IMPORTANCE of how the powder measure is operated has a LOT to do with how accurate it is with a wide range of weights of charges. Both a separate powder measure used to drop individual powder charges as well as a progressive press needs to be operated SMOOTHLY.

1- When using a separate powder measure, it is EXTREMELY important to operate it SMOOTHLY.
    2- It is JUST as important to operate it the same identical way each time you throw a charge.
    As an example, When using a particular charge, I often lightly tap twice on the up swing, and twice on the down swing. I take great pains to tap
    exactly the same each time. Plus, I operate the measure SMOOTHLY. Do NOT bang it hard at any time, and do not change your technique
    between charges.
    3- When using a progressive press operate the handle smoothly and do NOT bang it at the top or bottom. Just operate it smoothly and exactly the
    same stroke to stroke. I have a pair of Dillon 550 B's, and Lee Classic Turret press (with the Lee Pro disc measure). My Lee has all of the disks as
    well as the adjustable slide for small charges.
    4 - I am a believer in powder measure baffles.
    5 - I have a small collection of powder measures and when Schuetzen shooting bought a new Harrel Schuetzen measure. Some work better than
    others but frankly, proper operation of ANY of these measures will often be the difference in whether or not you get consistent powder drops.
    6 - Last, but not least, it often pays to take time to actually practice your powder drop technique and weighing each charge to develop the best
    method of using each and every powder measure you have (from a dipper to the latest and greatest measure that might be in your inventory).

FWIW
    Dale53

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    I have a recent Lee DELUXE Perfect Powder Measure that gives the most accurate small charges I have found. Better than my RCBS Uniflow with small chamber. I think about the Redding for small charges. I have used the Lee Auto-Disc with an adjustable chamber and the 'Micro-Disc', both working well for me. I have an old Bonanza rotary disc, like the RCBS Lil Dandy, works OK but fixed charges. My MOST used measure is a Lee Perfect for charges over 10-15 grains, but the Lee DELUXE gets the 1.5 to 4 grain charges of HP38 and Tite-Group.

Boolit Master

I tried a good many measures for small handgun charges before settling on a Redding 10X, which is designed for charges of 1 to 25 grains, and is micrometer adjustable (so, I can return to a previous setting easily). I also have B&M and Lymans, but have not used them for small charges.

When setting up the 10X, I set the micrometer, then throw and weigh 10 charges to verify the setting. The reproducibility is excellent.

I have a Lyman 55 and a Uniflow with large and small rotors + baffel and the Uni works perfect for me. I load 32 Long's with some really small charges. Like Dale said, consistent operation is the key. The Redding's have a stellar reputation too.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123