Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Wideners Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Dream Rifle will become a reality- 4 Bore Falling Block

Boolit Buddy

My Dream Rifle will become a reality- 4 Bore Falling Block

I have been in awe of this monstrous cartridge ever since I learned of its existence. The first time I read about one, I told myself "one day". Well, it's finally "one day". I am now the proud owner of this barrel. Krieger has one in their inventory and told me they may never make them again due to them hardly ever getting orders. Good timing on my part I guess.

This will be one expensive endeavor, but well worth it in my mind as it truly is a dream rifle. The rifle builder I have in mind is Bailey Bradshaw. He specializes in falling block actions and is a phenomenal builder. The plan is for a red pad, English Walnut, color case hardening, and rust bluing for the barrel. I can't decide if I want his side lever or the traditional under lever design. Either way it will make for a beautiful heirloom.

The bit I'm a little disappointed in is the groove diameter. A true 4 bore has a bore diameter of 1.052" where is this is .950" making it closer to a 5 bore. The thing that makes me ok with this is, even back in the BP days when 4 Bore saw real use, their bore diameter was greatly varied with many of them in that .950" diameter range. I don't think anything on the receiving end is going to be able to tell that there is a .102" difference anyways haha And trust me... trying to find a barrel maker that can do a 1.052" barrel has proven impossible.

Next on my list is acquiring the 3.5" brass from RMC. The brass is $45 A PIECE so it will take some time before I can purchase.

After that it will be sourcing a mold. If anyone knows of a good custom mold maker that can make me a mold for a 1750 grain slug, please link them!

After that it will be talking to Mr. Bradshaw to lay out a plan and selling my project car so I can fund this endeavor.

If this build is something that interests you and you want to see a no BS "this is what it costs" total, let me know and I will update with an itemized list with my total investment as I gather parts and pay for the build. I will update with a picture of the barrel in hand once it is delivered.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210114_172426.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	275422

So far:

Barrel- 29" ×1.34" zero taper = $575 after shipping.

Boolit Master
    I like big bore rifles but, I think that the fun of shooting a four bore would be realized in very few rounds per session, as in one or possibly two. When you squeeze the trigger on that one you will know something important happened and you were directly involved. You will be wanting a standup bench to sight it in and test loads.

Post pictures as the build progresses if you can.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Buddy
    Your shoulders will tell you many years later that it might not have been such a good idea.

Boolit Master

Pictures!
    Videos!
    When you get it all together!
    As for the shoulders, just bumps in the road of life!

Boolit Buddy
    I am used to huge recoil from my 12 Gauge from Hell. Mild load for this will be 12 drams of 1F max load is about 16 drams. Don't know if I will ever go that hot as it will be a pretty light rifle for that at 18-20 pounds. 14 drams sounds about like a more reasonable load.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 45workhorse View Post
    Pictures!
    Videos!
    When you get it all together!
    As for the shoulders, just bumps in the road of life!
    Will definitely have plenty of pictures and videos. I hope I can convince Mr. Bradshaw to record or take pictures as he builds the rifle as that would be a great thing to put innthe case with the rifle.

Just for fun have you seen Colin Stolzer's vids on the building and shooting a 2 bore cartridge rifle?

Boolit Buddy
    Yes sir! Mr. Stolzer is an amazing smith and extremely generous for answering some of my 4 bore related questions even with him knowing someone else was doing the build.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbore.729 View Post
    Yes sir! Mr. Stolzer is an amazing smith and extremely generous for answering some of my 4 bore related questions even with him knowing someone else was doing the build.
    That's good to know. He does seem like a very talented individual, good to know he's a good guy too!

Boolit Grand Master

I thought the single shot 12g with turkey loads was a handful. Ok, downright painful. This is in a different league altogether. I can't wait to see the video of you shooting this. Do you need Federal Approval for launching a super sonic cannon?

Colin Stolzer's prices seem very reasonable for a custom rifle
    Last edited by jonp; 01-17-2021 at 09:58 AM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    I got really bored on a sleepless night and modeled a cartridge case and slug in CAD and 3D printed it out and threw some paint on it to get an idea of what I'm getting into as I've never actually seen a 4 bore in person. My lord I never thought my 12 Gauge from Hell would be dwarfed. I am so excited 😅

The slug I modeled would be approximately 2000 grains there abouts of pure lead. Here it is compared to my 726 grain .729" mono

Name:	PicsArt_01-17-09.18.01.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	275535

45-70 is severely outgunned and .22lr is looking like a novelty

Name:	PicsArt_01-17-09.18.16.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	47.3 KB 
ID:	275536

Name:	PicsArt_01-17-09.18.26.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	275537

The brass I modeled after is made by RCC. It's 4.25" long. Why it's not 4", I have no idea. They are likely who I'm going to go with for brass as I can get 50 for the same price as 10 from RMC

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    I thought the single shot 12g with turkey loads was a handful. Ok, downright painful. This is in a different league altogether. I can't wait to see the video of you shooting this. Do you need Federal Approval for launching a super sonic cannon?

Colin Stolzer's prices seem very reasonable for a custom rifle
    Yes, he is incredibly reasonable. I inquired about a 4 bore muzzleloader. At the time I couldn't afford it, but it was very reasonable.

Boolit Buddy
    The barrel came today!! 12 Gauge from Hell in bore fore scale.

Name:	PicsArt_01-27-09.46.13.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	276240

Name:	PicsArt_01-27-09.46.34.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	276241

Name:	PicsArt_01-27-09.46.57.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	276242

Boolit Master

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post

Always a classic. I like when it knocks the guys "turban" off.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Buddy
    What alloy would y'all reccomend for this bad boy?

This gun will weigh 20 lbs ? Right? Black Powder?

They made them back in the day and people used them,,, so it sounds like a doable thing.

Pure Lead on your boolits. What are you going to shoot with it?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    This gun will weigh 20 lbs ? Right? Black Powder?

They made them back in the day and people used them,,, so it sounds like a doable thing.

Pure Lead on your boolits. What are you going to shoot with it?

Randy
    Likely closer to 18lbs being a single shot. The closer to 20 the better.

In theory, this would be used on large dangerous game, but in reality it will be used for extreme plinking.

Boolit Buddy
    John Saunders of Century Arms ( John shut up shop some time ago ) made or had made some of these light artillery pieces, I played with one of the last ones in his gun room, very well made and presented ( no shooting involved ) I decided there and then no way in hell would I ever want to pull the trigger on one, that being said best of luck with your build.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast