MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Repackbox

Thread: 350 Legend new barrel question.

Boolit Master

350 Legend new barrel question.

I'm building an AR in 350 Legend specifically for plinking and hunting predators, using cast bullets. I chose 350 Legend, because of the AR calibers, it seems like a very good choice for cast bullet use.

I just slugged the new barrel. It was hammer the slug (tight), then push by hand, then hammer again, then push by hand, then hammer yet again, and then the slug fell out. (It's a relatively cheap "AR Stoner" barrel from Midway) So, several tight and loose spots in the barrel.

Sounds like I better hand lap the barrel, right??

Vettepilot
    "Those who sacrifice freedom for security, have neither."
    Benjamin Franklin. (A very wise man!)

Boolit Buddy
    I also have an ar stoner 350 barrel from midway. I have never slugged the barrel.

Shooting Lee 200 gr boolits cast 20:1 or so powder coated with a gas check I killed a good buck at 200 good steps.

If you are sure you want to lap I would think about firelapping.

My sample of starline brass was thinner in the neck than the Winchester brass that I have, so the Starline brass would chamber easier and cyle better in my ar.

Any more questions just ask.

Ray

Boolit Bub
    I slugged my AR Stoner barrel today. It’s 0.357”. I’ll shoot 0.358 cast, and 0.357 jacketed bullets. I may try 0.356” if accuracy is off. I too had some tight and loose spots. It has to be “ minute of deer” (3 moa). If so I’m good.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mulespurs View Post
    I also have an ar stoner 350 barrel from midway. I have never slugged the barrel.

Shooting Lee 200 gr boolits cast 20:1 or so powder coated with a gas check I killed a good buck at 200 good steps.

If you are sure you want to lap I would think about firelapping.

My sample of starline brass was thinner in the neck than the Winchester brass that I have, so the Starline brass would chamber easier and cyle better in my ar.

Any more questions just ask.

Ray
    If you don't mind, what did you come up with for a load? What velocity? Cycling good? Feel free to PM if you would rather not post "open forum".

Thanks!
    Vettepilot

Boolit Bub
    I just got a lee 200 gr mold and want to load some plinking rounds for my 350 legend. Just hot enough to cycle my AR. I may start with 9 gr of unique. Does anyone have an opinion if this load will cycle, or a pet load that works well in an AR? Thanks in advance.

Boolit Master
    Yeah... I grabbed an NOE mold; 165 grain if I remember, and would appreciate hearing about some loads too! I think this caliber is going to be good with cast... (AR-15 too here.)

Thanks!
    Vettepilot

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tactikel View Post
    I just got a lee 200 gr mold and want to load some plinking rounds for my 350 legend. Just hot enough to cycle my AR. I may start with 9 gr of unique. Does anyone have an opinion if this load will cycle, or a pet load that works well in an AR? Thanks in advance.
    I have a 357AR Max that is very similar to your 350L. I tried a number of reduced loads to see if they would cycle the action. Nothing short of close to full power worked. This was with a 16 barrel. Different barrel lengths and gas system lengths may get you cycling at lower "near full power" loads. Lower power with cycling is probably more likely with something like 1680.

For general guidance on cast in the 350L, the https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...d-Cast-Boolits is probably a better place to look than this thread. It is long, but there are nuggets of great info spread throughout.

Boolit Buddy
    Am sorry for this late post.

My load has been 21 gr. H110 under the lee bullet It seems safe in my ar stoner barrel on a PSA ar-15

I gave some loads to a buddy with a Ruger bolt gun and he said thator norma 200 they were too much for his rifle.

So maybe start at 19 or 20 gr and see how it goes.

I would like to try some 1680 or Norma 200, but haven't seen any.

Testing now to see if powdercoated or lubed both gaschecked is more .

bullets sized to .3555 near as I can measure.

.355 after pulled from case.