MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sourcing lead in bulk

Boolit Bub

Sourcing lead in bulk

I’m trying to find a source for casting lead in bulk. At first just a couple tons but then by the truck load. I’m in NE Ohio so of course near by would be best for pricing even though I use to have pricing a few years ago from a company out of state for $1.75lb for 92-2-6 hardball. Thanks in advance for the help

Boolit Bub

Not much experience here, but seems like a boat yard would be the first call I’d make, asking about scrap keels.

Boolit Master
    Are you talking about commercial bullet casting? I understand that buyers want a consistent and predictable product. Some commercial outfits will used certified foundry alloys for that reason. Others will buy scrap and blend their own, based on hardness or analysis.

Foundry alloy costs more, but is entirely predictable in content and is readily available in the quantities needed with nothing more than a phone call or a few clicks on a keyboard. Scrap is much cheaper, but highly variable in content, ranging from perfect to useless for casting, and availability is spotty.

If just casting in volume for yourself, or if casting items where weight and alloy characteristics are not critical, the concerns I bring up aren't so important.

Boolit Buddy

Try Rotometals, one of the banner sponsors of this sight, believe they have a facility in Cleveland. Bought some pure from them a couple years ago and believe it was shipped from Cleveland.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    Are you talking about commercial bullet casting? I understand that buyers want a consistent and predictable product. Some commercial outfits will used certified foundry alloys for that reason. Others will buy scrap and blend their own, based on hardness or analysis.

Foundry alloy costs more, but is entirely predictable in content and is readily available in the quantities needed with nothing more than a phone call or a few clicks on a keyboard. Scrap is much cheaper, but highly variable in content, ranging from perfect to useless for casting, and availability is spotty.

If just casting in volume for yourself, or if casting items where weight and alloy characteristics are not critical, the concerns I bring up aren't so important.
    Yes for commercial casting is what I am looking for

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by owejia View Post
    Try Rotometals, one of the banner sponsors of this sight, believe they have a facility in Cleveland. Bought some pure from them a couple years ago and believe it was shipped from Cleveland.
    There prices aren’t horrible and better then some but I already have a price cheaper then them even once I add in shipping costs

Boolit Buddy
    Call Rotometals and talk to sales. If you are buying on a repetitive basic, you should get a price break. Asking does not hurt.

Alternative is to check local scrap yards or ranges.

Boolit Master

Bing.com search for "bulk lead for sale". 2nd page had this site: https://maycoindustries.com/ I'll let you do the search for others.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by awayne View Post
    Yes for commercial casting is what I am looking for
    I know of at least one large commercial caster and likely many more that order containers of lead alloy from China. That will be your cheapest route. Don't let your customers find out.

https://www.alibaba.com/trade/search...viewtype=&tab=

Closer by is Zip Metals, near Cleveland. Being about 90 miles from them, I just drove up there to pick it up.

https://zipmetals.com/
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master

Most home casters are scroungers. But it sounds like you need a more dependable source. That means dealing with one of the major suppliers. The above post have several interesting links.

Boolit Mold
    Doesn't all lead come from overseas now anyways? My question is... how do you find a smelter that is reputable and isn't lying about the composition of their lead...

Quote Originally Posted by jtm2 View Post
    Doesn't all lead come from overseas now anyways? My question is... how do you find a smelter that is reputable and isn't lying about the composition of their lead...
    Buy straight from company which sell's lead for industries or other company's. There must many in USA... Small country like mine has few to make a choice. But here you need have your own company or firm to make a buy. Those companies won't sell consumers. Don't know how is it in USA...You probably need to pay much more than junk yard prices but you can be sure it is what you paying for. And need to buy bigger quantity like tonne. And do smelting yourself...

Boolit Bub
    No I don’t think it does but IDK for sure

Moderator Emeritus

Consistent composition is going to be important for commercial sales. Good luck

Here is a source I have used in the past ( last year ) https://nathantrotter.com $ 1.65 shipped hardball
    I would rather fish. Can you shoot fish ?
    ><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>`• .¸¸.•´¯[_____]””””””

"Most home casters are scroungers."
    Hey that's raciest to talk about ME that way!

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerlane View Post
    Here is a source I have used in the past ( last year ) https://nathantrotter.com $ 1.65 shipped hardball
    Nice! Thank you for that. What's the minimum order for that price?

Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

2000 bundle Min for Nathan trotter and Victory white wants to sell you bricks which is high. once you melt the brick is the same as a poured ingot. Shipping is the biggest issue in this whole deal. I have it shipped to the closest terminal and pick it up 2 bundles at a time.
    I would rather fish. Can you shoot fish ?
    ><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>`• .¸¸.•´¯[_____]””””””

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast