Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More Star Sizer Woes

Boolit Master

how about super glue on the end of a rod that fits the hole in the die put it in let it cure them remove??

Boolit Master

I never drill them out. I drill until the lead starts to spin and then pull out the remainder that is stuck on the end of the drill. Has worked for me hundreds of times, as I use the same die for many different bullets. I am not going to buy a die for every different lube groove, that is just silly.

Boolit Master

+1 on the dental pick(s). You can remove a lot of the material from the outside and then push it out from the inside.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    I guess one of the lessons I am learning in my old age (72 but still working full time and going strong) is that when something is not going well, just stop and walk away, then pick up the task the next day.
    Minimum wage? hey....this is our hobby. I really don't count my time in the process. It is my choice to do what I do and I certainly wouldn't pay some one else to do this for me. Materials? Yes....those count. Time? It is part of the deal. Where time becomes more valuable is when things are not going well.
    The Star Sizer has been a Godsend to me in the production of cast bullets, but it also has provided more frustration than anything else I use in my casting/sizing/lubing/reloading process.
    The Dillon 550 has its share of quirks too but i have learned about setting up and maintaining that piece of equipment over the years. I am not sure why the Star is such a pain, though.
    It's funny you mention just buying a new sizer die. I am going to do exactly that and put this one away for some day when I am retired and can take all day to figure it out. I just don't need the frustration.
    It will go with the "someday" projects like depriming and swaging thousands of 9mm military brass, sorting and processing the 5 gallon buckets of brass, and breaking down the bad reloads for their components.
    Lathesmith gets an order today!
    Send that die to Lathesmith when you order a new one . I bet he can fix it quick.

Boolit Master
    Original Star dies are very hard, like a wood peckers lips. I wonder if anyone ever wore one out.

Boolit Master
    If you melt it out by dipping it in melted lead for a few minutes, there is no way you will heat it up enough to ruin the temper.

Boolit Master
    Consider separate top punch with set screw nuts for different boollits out of same dies , when talking with Chris .

I asked my dentist if he had any old worn out dental picks. He said no, but he gave me a brand new one to have.
    That was very generous of him.
    I guess that there is some benefit to having the same dentist of 40 years.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12