RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Star Sizer Woes

More Star Sizer Woes

OK...I love my Star Sizer....when it is adjusted and running....nothing better. i do 1500--2000 at a time and I love the output and the end product.
    HOWEVER I am trying (short of using explosives) to drill out the shot on one of my 358 sizer dies to set it up for a new bullet.
    Nothing I can do is working.
    I have used the hand drill that you buy from Star.
    I have used a power drill.
    I have broken 2 #2 drill bits.
    I am beginning to think that someone put steel shot in it.
    I would surmise that the remnants of the shot is simply spinning around in the hole and not letting me get enough ooomph to drill through it. Push too hard and the drill bit breaks.
    I started (by hand) the shot removal with the larger of the 2 drills that Star sells, and the tried to go to the smaller #2....did it by hand, but no go.
    Tried the power drill....no go. broke 2 #2 bits.
    I am really getting tired of struggling with the Star.
    Any suggestions?
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

A good small dia punch should do the trick... use a piece of leather to hold it in a vise...
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Boolit Grand Master

If you can't drill out a lead shot ...something is wrong ...lead is soft and drills easily .
    Is there more to this story ...like I used steel ball bearings to block the holes ?
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Some might scoff at the idea, but I've used a torch to get shot out before. Use MAPP gas, and heat right on the shot. It should melt out before the die gets terribly hot.

I don't know about a #2 drill but use a bit that's larger than the inner hole but smaller than the outer part of the hole.

make a punch slightly smaller than the holes bend it 90 degrees and use it with a wooden wedge behind it to push the obstruction from inside the die. Don't heat the die, it is hardened to Rockwell C65 + and will distemper easily. Probably steel shot, I've drilled hundreds of these and all come out very easily. Been there, done that!

Boolit Grand Master
    Blaming the machine is not warranted.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus
    I use a steel dental pick and push the shot out from the inside. Similar to what was mentioned a couple posts ago.

Quote Originally Posted by garandsrus View Post
    I use a steel dental pick and push the shot out from the inside. Similar to what was mentioned a couple posts ago.
    That's what I've done, too. I always use lead shot on my dies, but I've bought quite a few used ones and had to remove the previous user's plugs. A small dental pick, or similar small diameter stiff wire, with a 90 degree bend in it will enable you to push from the inside of the die.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    If you can't drill out a lead shot ...something is wrong ...lead is soft and drills easily .
    Is there more to this story ...like I used steel ball bearings to block the holes ?
    I have no idea. I bought this die used a long time ago.
    It is lead because the first larger drill did its thing and took out most of the shot from the lube hole.
    I have so much trouble setting up dies that once I get them set, I dedicate that die to a particular bullet which is why I have multiple dies laying around..
    This is the kind of crap that drives me wild.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    That's what I've done, too. I always use lead shot on my dies, but I've bought quite a few used ones and had to remove the previous user's plugs. A small dental pick, or similar small diameter stiff wire, with a 90 degree bend in it will enable you to push from the inside of the die.
    Hope this helps.
    Fred
    Makes sense. I'll try that. Thanks.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    I have no idea. I bought this die used a long time ago.
    It is lead because the first larger drill did its thing and took out most of the shot from the lube hole.
    I have so much trouble setting up dies that once I get them set, I dedicate that die to a particular bullet which is why I have multiple dies laying around..
    This is the kind of crap that drives me wild.
    I wonder if the Drill bits you are breaking, are just bottoming out in the lube port?
    If that is the case, and I've been there, I just smear some lube into the port, and attempt to push the lube through, into the center of the die using a proper sized Allen wrench. The lead that is in the small portion of the lube port will get pushed through with the lube.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I’m sure that the die is bad, I’ll give you a dollar for it.

Or maybe put it in a vise perpendicular to the jaws, leather padding to seal the top and bottom, and use one of the open holes to push in some high pressure air? Wear glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I wonder if the Drill bits you are breaking, are just bottoming out in the lube port?
    I doubt it. Star sell these little tiny drill bits on their web site that are SUPPOSED to fit the lube hole.
    I have a number of options here that I will try as soon as I can get some spare time.
    I kind of like the dental pick idea. I THINK I have one around here somewhere.
    I'll try the other ideas too.
    Star recommends AGAINST using the butane torch idea because of the hardened steel in the die might have the temper changed.
    I still think a touch of C4 might do it!

Boolit Master
    coast of drills.min wage for you time.and being realy mad.$ 52.50 is looking good.I feel your pain proly is good we can't just go buy the C4

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    coast of drills.min wage for you time.and being realy mad.$ 52.50 is looking good.I feel your pain proly is good we can't just go buy the C4
    I guess one of the lessons I am learning in my old age (72 but still working full time and going strong) is that when something is not going well, just stop and walk away, then pick up the task the next day.
    Minimum wage? hey....this is our hobby. I really don't count my time in the process. It is my choice to do what I do and I certainly wouldn't pay some one else to do this for me. Materials? Yes....those count. Time? It is part of the deal. Where time becomes more valuable is when things are not going well.
    The Star Sizer has been a Godsend to me in the production of cast bullets, but it also has provided more frustration than anything else I use in my casting/sizing/lubing/reloading process.
    The Dillon 550 has its share of quirks too but i have learned about setting up and maintaining that piece of equipment over the years. I am not sure why the Star is such a pain, though.
    It's funny you mention just buying a new sizer die. I am going to do exactly that and put this one away for some day when I am retired and can take all day to figure it out. I just don't need the frustration.
    It will go with the "someday" projects like depriming and swaging thousands of 9mm military brass, sorting and processing the 5 gallon buckets of brass, and breaking down the bad reloads for their components.
    Lathesmith gets an order today!
    Last edited by FISH4BUGS; 01-18-2021 at 09:10 AM.

Moderator Emeritus
    If you are getting a new die, have the hole spacing match your bullet and only have the correct number of rows of holes for your lube grooves. No shot needed!

Quote Originally Posted by garandsrus View Post
    If you are getting a new die, have the hole spacing match your bullet and only have the correct number of rows of holes for your lube grooves. No shot needed!
    My plan exactly.
    I'll do some emailing with Lathesmith before I place the order, and will send him a few bullets to let him space the holes.
    I kind of like having a dedicated sizing die for the bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Some might scoff at the idea, but I've used a torch to get shot out before. Use MAPP gas, and heat right on the shot. It should melt out before the die gets terribly hot.
    I melt it out too

Boolit Master
    FWIW, three rows are preferred. Never know when you might want to change to a different a bullet design. I just ordered a die from Chris and opted for three rows rather than the one I needed. Easy to drill out shot. Would be a PITA to drill extra holes in a die.

Winelover

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast