Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Percussion caps

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckdog View Post
    I have plenty, but I also have the making to make them. I see 22reloader.com has a tap o cap knockoff and the primer mix that'll make a couple of thousand of them in each bag. They won't fit in a capper, but they shoot great. just a thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caswell Ranch View Post
    PayPal was not accepting payments to them a few days ago, I requested info on order ship times and have had no reply. This is Sharpshooter 22LR Reloader I was trying to contact. Last updates on FB are from 2018 and most are complaints about orders taking 7 months. Anyone ordered from them in the last few weeks ?
    Have no experience buying from them but got the percussion cap maker from ebay. But why bother to wait for their priming compound when you can get the priming ingredients from the net and buy it elsewhere. Their prices in my opinion are a bit lucrative. Get what you need elsewhere in larger quantity for less. Their is priming formula in the internet that you can look into, all you gotta do is buy it online and have it ship to your home.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Caswell Ranch View Post
    PayPal was not accepting payments to them a few days ago, I requested info on order ship times and have had no reply. This is Sharpshooter 22LR Reloader I was trying to contact. Last updates on FB are from 2018 and most are complaints about orders taking 7 months. Anyone ordered from them in the last few weeks ?
    I placed an order for their cap punch and some of their PrimeAll mix to try out a few weeks ago. I never received a confirmation email so a few days ago I sent them an email via their contact page. They got back to me pretty quickly saying they are about 4 weeks backlogged and should ship my order next week. I guess we’ll see.

Boolit Buddy
    I just ordered from them last night and got an order confirmation really fast.I messaged the guy through the facebook page before I place the order and he said they are shipping and currently back ordered 4 weeks

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you for your reply

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you Sir!

Boolit Bub
    I order about 4 months ago and it did take a while to get. He had my order. A friend ordered about 2 months ago and this week was told that his order was getting ready. I assume that Sharpshooter just got a new set of stuff in.

I don't think Sharpshooter was ready for such an influx of orders. I know my side gig for selling brass has gotten crazy with 35,000 pieces going out my door this Monday - and I'm almost out again.

Also, PayPal is getting very difficult for gun-related payments. They shutdown my primary and backup accounts for selling used brass. I ended up getting a commercial credit card processing service through FortPoint (suggested from Gun Broker). I worked with Bill Robbins (bill@fortpointpayments.com), and they are gun friendly and use Elavon as the underwriter. My fees are much lower than PayPal if you have several thousand in sales per month.

I can't help you about the dies, but if you want your own compound, then go check out the Home Made Primer book at
    http://aardvarkreloading.com

I bought everything I needed at https://www.pyrochemsource.com
    They have everything you need (albeit corrosive primer compound) and sell by the POUND. One order will last a crazy long time. The books says large pistol primers need 0.5 grains of compound and small need 0.3 (I haven't measured my caps), so that is 14,000 primers per pound of compound (btw - never make more than 33 grains for safely reasons).

Boolit Buddy
    I can't say I ever measured the amount in a primer myself. I made a scoop out of a LR and SM primer and go by that. I use the LR scoop in a percussion cap and they always go bang with good force.

Boolit Buddy
    The individual chemicals are Potassium Chlorate, Antinomy Sulfide, and Sulphur. H48 uses ground glass and H42 does not. Visit Aardvark Reloading to get a very good idea of what everyone is mixing up. Lots of videos out there, as well.
    Good info, I may give this a go. The guys at 22lr reloading say they will be making a #10 maker in several weeks.

Steve

Boolit Buddy
    As an update to my prior post, I received notification that my order shipped out yesterday. Looks like product is indeed moving out.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by maillemaker View Post
    Good info, I may give this a go. The guys at 22lr reloading say they will be making a #10 maker in several weeks.

Steve
    Oh yeah? That sounds interesting. Keep us posted about that.

Boolit Bub

Ammo can with the rubber seal. Throw in a handful of those little desiccant packs or some dry white rice in a muslin bag to control any moisture from condensation.

Quote Originally Posted by idahoron View Post
    Has anyone used a vacuum sealer to preserve a large number of caps?
    73’s DE
    Matthew

“Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” – Benjamin Franklin

Banned

A little out of the way LGS recently had 56 tins of #11 caps...........I bought them all!

According to CCI (which I spent time on the phone with today) they will start shipping out Primers to the public, dealers, and distributors in about 3 weeks. They just got done doing a HUGE government order, and are making 9 MILLION primers a day. After they get some of the primers out, they will be doing PERCUSSION CAPS again by the end of this month.
    wear your scars with pride, a scarless man hasn't felt the hardship of life......

I personally prefer RWS 1075s myself for revolvers and hunting. But, you can be darn sure that I'll stock up on CCI #10s when they come back!
    wear your scars with pride, a scarless man hasn't felt the hardship of life......

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Oh good on the CCI info

If you want to make a larger dessicant thing, take some drywall and heat it up for some time in the oven, to drive the moisture out; I'd suggest bagging it in something (satin tablecloths are cheap, cloth of some kind anyways) to keep from getting the powder over everything too much.

I've dealt with tableclothsfactory.com and they seemed pretty reasonable but there definitely are other places!

Boolit Bub

Rice also works really well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    Oh good on the CCI info

If you want to make a larger dessicant thing, take some drywall and heat it up for some time in the oven, to drive the moisture out; I'd suggest bagging it in something (satin tablecloths are cheap, cloth of some kind anyways) to keep from getting the powder over everything too much.

I've dealt with tableclothsfactory.com and they seemed pretty reasonable but there definitely are other places!
    73’s DE
    Matthew

“Those who give up essential liberties for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” – Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.

Percussion caps

Crystal cat litter in a holey sock. Dessicant in bulk!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Flower drying crystals are anouther choice. Put them in a pill bottle with holes in the lid for a small place or drill holes in the lid of the 1.5 pounder for a larger safe.

Quote Originally Posted by nightwolf1974 View Post
    According to CCI (which I spent time on the phone with today) they will start shipping out Primers to the public, dealers, and distributors in about 3 weeks. They just got done doing a HUGE government order, and are making 9 MILLION primers a day. After they get some of the primers out, they will be doing PERCUSSION CAPS again by the end of this month.
    Good information, thanks. I don't think there is a #10 cap for sale in Canada right now. Hopefully my BIL in Spokane can pick some up when they become available.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

Boolit Master

[QUOTE......According to CCI (which I spent time on the phone with today) they will start shipping out Primers to the public, dealers, and distributors in about 3 weeks. They just got done doing a HUGE government order, and are making 9 MILLION primers a day. After they get some of the primers out, they will be doing PERCUSSION CAPS again by the end of this month.[/QUOTE]

Getting good and accurate information is difficult. But; I am not as comforted as you are from your discussions with CCI where they told you they are manufacturing 9 Million primers a day. If they operate 7 days a week; that is only 3.285 Billion a year. Sounds like a lot; but the law of big numbers takes over. Various sources cite between 7 and 12 Billion rounds of centerfire ammunition are sold in the US Each year. If this is true; then we need another 3.5 to 8.5 billion primers manufactured by someone to just fill the "Factory ammo" needs. Next after the big players are all those small independent ammo producers; and those small companies reloading ammo commercially. Then....
    We poor reloaders are as they say; sucking hind milk apparatus, with the leftover leavings after all those requirements are fulfilled.

I hoe that your information proves out - I have had to use Small Rifle Primers to reload Small Pistol for the last few months.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast