MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savage Impulse straight pull

Banned

Savage Impulse straight pull

I didn't even know there was such a thing until a little while ago. I always wondered why straight pull bolt actions never caught on. Anyone have or seen one of these yet?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1SVasdjW2s

Boolit Master

Rich, I just saw a video about the Savage Impulse yesterday. That is a pretty slick looking rifle,...just my opinion.

Like you, I didn't know this was on the market.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Kind of Blaser or 1996 Mauser inspired the way I see it. I’ve owned both M95 Steyr and Swiss K 31 center fires and Browning T bolt rim fire rifles and I guess the the noise of the action operating bothered me the most. I guess I’m weird because lever or pump noise goes unnoticed. Yeah, I’m weird.....

Banned

Around here somewhere, I have a rifle I got from Dad that he got somewhere in the 70s (I was a kid and didn't appreciate such things) which is an old school European sporter, beautifully built on one of those M95 actions, absolutely stunning rifle, but it's chambered in something weird, Dad made brass from 7.62x54 and used 8x50 Austrian dies. I doubt it will ever get shot again, but the idea of a fast handling straight pull sporter intrigues me.

That impulse is ugly as a bowling shoe, and heavy to boot I just read. I heard some where it can be easily changed from right hand to left hand, so that's interesting. Guess I need to go looking for one, I'd like to handle it and see if it might be worth pursuing.

Boolit Grand Master

I find the straight pulls Ive worked with to be a little awkward feeling in operation. the twist or rock of the bolt handle to unlock dosnt feel right to me. With a standard bolt action 2 fingers open the rifle and eject the round then the thumb closes it, all with a flick of the wrist. This is a very fast natural feeling operation to me.

Im curious though with out the camming actin built into the bolt action how stiff is the initial extraction on the pull back of the bolt. The locking balls move straight in and out no camming to start a case formed tight to chamber. If the twist of the bit handle provides this timing of the pull and balls release wold be critical. on the plus side this set up wuld allow for a longer front ring making for more room for extractor and ejector with more meat around them. It would also make lug races unneeded resulting in a smoother easier to machine action. A simple bored reamed hole no broaching or edm cuts. Tght tolerences to maintain square. I do see a lot of pluses also

Banned

I hadn't thought into it that much. Truthfully, the Remington pump rifles are essentially bolt actions that do this it seems (never owned one). Should be able to work fine with a bolt.

A quick check on gunbroker shows none. They must be very new and not even hit the market yet.

Boolit Grand Master
    Looks like an adaptation from the H/K roller locked design

Boolit Master
    Physics will not be cheated - you don't get something for nothing. The reduced total movement of the bolt handle when compared to traditional bolt actions means reduced movement put into operating the action. That reduced movement is likely to require increased force to complete the functions performed by working the action. I expect the compromises required by that design include reduced primary extraction and reduced camming power for chambering dirty, malformed or corroded ammo. Whether or not those are serious issues for a sporting rifle is for the buyer to decide.

Yes - a 760 Remington is a straight pull bolt action too - operated by the forend instead of a rear handle. And yes, a 760 does have reduced camming power and reliability compared to a 700. For myself, the choice would be about accuracy and reliability. The 1/4 second saved by a straight pull over a conventional bolt action would not be much of a factor.

Uncle R.

Boolit Master
    I still shoot my K-31 and that is part of the enjoyment. The rifle can speak for itself, as to why Savage offered it...I believe marketing. I would be more interested in the who(s) and Why(s) of putting it on the market. They must believe there is demand for it. I have become a big Savage fan and since the sale believe they will outlast the big corporate. If anything got to give them credit for taking a leap?

I believe that Browning offered a straight pull variation of the A-bolt years ago, didn’t they? Eclipse or some such?

Boolit Grand Master

Interesting but that 8.8 pounds sounds heavy to me for a hunting rifle, $1400 a little steep too.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    The straight pulls are aimed at markets where the peons cant own auto loaders..........but can pretend their s-p is a auto.........incidentally some go very close too,with auto closing.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    The straight pulls are aimed at markets where the peons cant own auto loaders..........but can pretend their s-p is a auto.........incidentally some go very close too,with auto closing.
    You may be right. I'm sure not gonna spend that kind of cash on one with so many really good and really cheap bolt actions on the American market now just to get that feature.

Boolit Master

I can not see a reason for the straight pull bolt action a smooth pump is faster and you can put it on target as you close action while shooting finger stays in place.
    I had a Remington 760 in .270 Winchester that thing was a tack driver and a fast shooter .

For the foolish people that think a bolt gun will be safer from politicians they need to look at England and Australia where they are treated the same as everything else . Going to a muzzle loader probably will not be safe for long either democrats already have an eye on them as being "loophole" guns!
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master
    I kinda like the idea. If it all works out as Savage planed it too it will be an American version of a Blaser at one third of the price. I wouldn't mind a .308 with a spare .22-250 barrel.

Boolit Bub
    One thing I did not see in any of the videos (yeah, I went down the rabbit hole) was if you could cycle the bolt without breaking cheek weld.

Somebody mentioned auto closing bolts on a bolt action rifle. Never heard of that. Does it really get you any faster? I know I've watched the (Norwegian?) mad minute, and I figure in the 40's, on target, in one minute with 8 mag changes (5 round mags)... That's impressive.

Boolit Grand Master

I think the ball bearing "lugs" are a unique system. I'll be interested to see how they do over time. My main concern there is I know from experience, whether a firearm, or car, or whatever, a ball and detent will build crud over time, and often stop it from working if not cleaned. I guess my question would be how easy is it to clean the bolt? If it is as simple as pulling out the firing pin and whatever the locking mechanism is, then dumping out the balls, that should be no big deal. The other thing is now you have to try and clean the detents inside the barrel hood, which is not super easy to get to.

As for being a straight pull, I'm glad someone is trying to come up with something different. I personally can't stand bolt actions, and finally got rid of my last one. I no longer own any. I'm not all that impressed by the straight pull in this video. It might be them trying to make it look fast, but it sure looks like they are running it rather hard. While I see the handle is slightly adjustable, I don't like that it is still a standard looking bolt handle. A nice big instinctive handle like the Swiss k31 has would be my preference.

Personally I think this will be a flop. If they wanted a fast operating and accurate rifle, but cheaper than a lever or semi-auto, then the clear answer is a pump action. The Remington 760 and 7600's were great. Their only issues were that with a less than ideal barrel mount method, and the pump's tube mounted to the barrel, accuracy was very good, but not quite what a bolt can deliver. I bet Savage is kicking themselves now that Remington is gone. How sweet would a box magazine fed, barrel nut and free floating barrel, pump action rifle be? I'd buy one for sure.

Banned

How can anybody hate bolt actions? Hands down the easiest type to get good performance out of simple and strong, concentric and accurate..

If it weren't for the en bloc clips and split receiver bridge, those Hungarian M95s could be the basis for a great sporter.

Boolit Master
    Savage will screw this up

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    How can anybody hate bolt actions? Hands down the easiest type to get good performance out of simple and strong, concentric and accurate..

If it weren't for the en bloc clips and split receiver bridge, those Hungarian M95s could be the basis for a great sporter.
    Rich I think you got the M95 mixed with something else, but it does use an enbloc clip.
    Charter Member #148

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast