Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Lee Precision

Thread: What is a good round to rebarrel a 6.5 Carcano to?

Boolit Master

What is a good round to rebarrel a 6.5 Carcano to?

I have one of these I have had for 25 years, a gift from a departed friend, which has about had its bore shot out/corroded out. I seemed to remember that someone had did this and made in in .35 Remington. I will proabably make it a single shot. All replies appreciated.

Koger, I had a 6.5 Carcano for a very short time once, I never fired it ! Being it is 52 mm long and not as “ fat” I think it could be rechambered to 260 Rem. 260 Rem. Is a higher pressure cartridge but if you plan on using it for cast bollits Idont see a problem because you would be hand loading the ammo and generally cast boolit loads are not as hot as factory jacketed ammo. The bolt face would probably need to be modified to fit the 260 / 308 Win. case diameter but that would not take much and the rest should be easy enough.
    There are other 6.5 mm cartridges that would work but the 260 Rem. comes to mind first for me ?

After rereading your post that the bore is not good and may need to be rebarreled, if the action would work with 35 Rem. I think that would be a first class round to rebarrel the rifle to. I know a few guys who would love to have a bolt action 35 Rem.

Jedman
    Last edited by Jedman; 01-08-2021 at 12:00 AM.

Maybe a single shot 6.8 SPC? It might work.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    That is a good idea Thomas!

I'm not familiar with the Carcano barrel thread diameter, but if it is small enough perhaps a .270 Win take off Remington 700 barrel can be cut off at the breech end, rethreaded and chambered for the the
    "Baby .270".
    The case head is a bit smaller but maybe the extractor will still reach it.
    The same thing might could be done with a
    .308 Win barrel converted to 7.62 x39......

I'm leaning towards 357Max with the Cooey double set trigger modified action with sporter stock I have. No barrel on mine, so I'm leaning towards an octagon. Saw one on another site that had been rebarreled to 44 mag.

Test where a guy tries to blow up a stubbed barrel carcano using 27.0 gr of Unique behind a 160gr bullet https://www.milsurps.com/content.php...-Carcano-Rifle

Boolit Master

I would have thought converting to 35 Rem would be pretty straight forward.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    1.10-14 . Just slightly larger than LR Mauser .

6.8 works .

There are dies for a 6.5-35 Rem

When the 7×6.8 SPC is used up I'll run a 7-30 Waters in it , the 6.8 reamer left enough base I believe to do so with 35 Rem but it will work absolutely with 30 Rem , or Carcano brass .

7.62x39 and PPCs .

38/357 mag/max .

224 Weatherby .

40/10mm .

There are a couple more that will fit the bolt face . Basically anything you could do with a x39 , or 35 Rem case is easy .

You need a 1.2" OD barrel .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master

The simplest that fits the bolt face and still feeds would be the 7.62x39 or the 35 Remington. There is also a single shot magazine adapter available on eBay. It works great. Got one for my Carcano.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master

If I needed to rebarrel one, I'd go with 7.62x39. There were a few threads on here some time age that featured doing that. Some were even converted to use magazines.

Thanks, enablers. Now I want a Carcano to play with. I wish they were still $16.95

Boolit Buddy
    There was one on Gunbroker a couple of years back that had been rebarreled to .300 Savage, and included two clips modified to fit the Savage case. It also had the right side receiver bridge modified for a relocated bolt handle. And was fitted with swing away side scope mount. The mount might have been a Weaver. I should have bought it.
    Urny
    Elko County, the old heart of Nevada

Boolit Master
    The carcano barrel thread is a bit tricky....to me it seems they started with 14tpi,and changed over at some stage to a very similar metric dimension.......Anyway,there is a well known method of converting to 7.62x39 by using a 303 barrel. The method does not need a chambering reamer,so if you can find a free 303 barrel ,the conversion costs peanuts.