Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Skeeter’s 357 magnum load 358156 w/2400 in 38 SPL Cases

Boolit Grand Master

With magnum level loads in DA revolvers I wear a PAST shooting glove......yeah, I'm getting soft in my old age....or perhaps, wiser....
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

I have a S&W M13 that mostly sees mild 38 SP rounds. The last time I shot it, I used 357 loads, Lee C358-158 HP (bought back when they still made HP molds) and the Lee 358-158 RF. I ran both of those at around 1250 fps. Sure, I could push them harder, but I always figured if I needed more 'oomph' I could just shoot the S&W M57 8 3/8". Not shy of recoil I still put Hogue Monogrips (rubber) on both the M13 and the M57. Loads that hurt with factory grips were nicely tamed according to my Dad. Granted, his M57 is only 4", but we did swap grips on our guns so he could see.

Grips can make a big difference. Heck, I even offered to get Mike Hogue to make monogrips out of whatever wood Dad wanted but Dad declined. The standard grips on my M13 were only used on it's first range day, and were swapped out at the range. I already had them from a previous .357 I had owned.

Main thing is, I have shot the Skeeter loads, just not my gun (I didn't have one at the time) but a friend wanted me to try his Skeeter loads, listed loads at the time. He also had some smoking Blue Dot loads, but they were for a TC Contender. Alliant does not recommend use of Blue Dot 357 loads now after it was re-formulated some time back. Too many K frames suffered extensive flame cutting on the top strap with the 357 125 grain JHP load. The factory rep said the 158 load was okay, just that the 'hot 125s' his words had a different pressure pulse or spike according to their tests.

Nowadays, I just load a lot of 125 RN loads over 5 gr of Unique as it is a great 'new shooter' load. That and I like them, they kill tin cans.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Master

More good data, Larry. Thanx for your labor, efforts and the trouble of writing it up to share with us. You are still da man............
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Buddy
    I have a question ? Larry mentioned on the " ladder " load data of crimping in the " 2nd " crimp groove . I am assuming he meant the upper most crimp groove by the OAL measurement he listed . Skeeter Skeltons load , if I have read his articles correctly in the past used the lower crimp groove , allowing more case capacity using 38 special cases , allowing approximately the same case capacity as if loaded in a 357 magnum case . I have shot a boat load of the Lyman 358156 loaded on top of 13.5 grs of 2400 powder using the lower crimp groove in 38 special cases . I never felt the recoil severe nor that it was a high pressure round . It was though --- very accurate . For years I shot them out of my 4 " K-frame 19 . A very sweet combo . Regards Paul

Boolit Grand Master

FYI, the second crimp groove is the lower crimp groove. The data listed with the 358156 seated in the 38 SPL cases were seated to AD crimped in the second/lower crimp groove as shown in the photo.......the middle cartridge.
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 01-13-2021 at 01:33 PM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Thank You, Love the Past Shooting Glove. Hear they are discontinued.

I shot many of the 11grs - 2400 with the #358156 seated in the 2nd crimping groove in My Dad's late 1950's Colt OP.
    And many more of the 13.5 load in a S&W M19.
    Those were "Younger" days.
    Don't shoot any Warm loads in any .38Spl chambered revolver these days.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

Thanks well done again.

Airborne
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master
    Thank you for doing that research. It is way beyond my ken to accumulate but I can learn from your reports.

I loaded many thousand of the Skeeter load and shot them in numerous Magnum revolvers, mostly through my old Model 27-4. About 4 decades ago, I started to switch to the 45 ACP cartridge in my N frames and stopped using the load. But, I pre-inherited a S&W 38/44 Heavy Duty and wanted to shoot it with full power loads. Found some of my old Skeeter Loads! What a hoot!

I will keep several hundred on hand for as long as I own this 1950 revolver!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4EEFE26D-55D8-4795-998D-2CAA9A86BA7C.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	275638Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BCAC28A9-BBEE-4F6A-8970-DBD69CD0DEF0.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	275639

I need new photos, I have replaced the non original stocks with elk magnas and a grip adapter.

Kevin
    Last edited by StrawHat; 01-22-2021 at 09:50 AM.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Buddy
    Mr. Gibson- Your load of 12.5 gr. of 2400 sure seems "hot" enough for anybody, and shows a lot less pressure variation than the other loads tested. The 13.5 gr. load has been extolled in print for accuracy but your 12.5 gr. one suggests maybe MORE accuracy potential; could you please comment on whether you find one to shoot straighter than the other? Thank you for your very helpful work on these measurements! Bob

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the late '60s through mid '70s when I shot a lot of the 358156s loaded over 2400 in 38 SPL cases I shot them in 2 Ruger BHs (4 5/8 & 6"), a Colt Trooper 4", couple 4" S&W 28s and a 6" Hawes Western Marshal. I could also shoot a lot better back then with steadier hands and sharper eyes. I always found the 12.5 gr load to be more accurate than Skeeter's 13.5 gr load. In this last test (50 yards) the test Contender barrel had the 4X scope and the Ruger Security Six had factory iron sights. Both loads were pretty close to the same on target with both loads (sorry, didn't measure the target groups) out of the Contender test barrel.......probably around 2" for the 10 shots. Still the 12.5 gr load shots from the Ruger held 10 ring on the 50 yard NRA pistol bullseye which, again, is about as good as I do these days.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Larry, Could you do a test with the different primers in 9mm so we could get the strait skinny?
    I shot SR primers in my Freedom Arms .357 when I shot handgun silhouette. FA recommended
    using them for the "hotter" loads I was using. You seem to be the man when it comes to such
    things.
    leadhead

Boolit Grand Master

I do not have a 9nn test barrel. I have done 9mm "vicarious testing" [not of various primers though] in my 38/357 test barrel by trimming back 38 SPL case so the case capacity to the case mouth equals the case capacity of the 9mmP case to its mouth The results of just a couple tests using those cases in the 38/357 test barrel were quite comparable to published psi's of 9mm P loads.

However, I have 100 rounds of 357 magnum with the 358156 loaded over 6 gr Unique ready to test. There are ten different 10 shot tests of different SP and SR primers. Given the SAAMI MAP for both cartridges is 35,000 psi the results of that test should tell us pretty much what the difference in psi each of those different primers makes.

It's 39 degrees this morning with rain, hail and snow (on the mountains a couple miles away) with a cold wind blowing. Waiting for a decent day in the 60 - 70 degree temperature range. Looks like that may be Thursday or Friday but I'm not promising anything......
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Hell Larry.... We don't want you to freeze. No hurry.
    leadhead

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all the effort and info, I really appreciate it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I do not have a 9nn test barrel. I have done 9mm "vicarious testing" [not of various primers though] in my 38/357 test barrel by trimming back 38 SPL case so the case capacity to the case mouth equals the case capacity of the 9mmP case to its mouth The results of just a couple tests using those cases in the 38/357 test barrel were quite comparable to published psi's of 9mm P loads.

However, I have 100 rounds of 357 magnum with the 358156 loaded over 6 gr Unique ready to test. There are ten different 10 shot tests of different SP and SR primers. Given the SAAMI MAP for both cartridges is 35,000 psi the results of that test should tell us pretty much what the difference in psi each of those different primers makes.

It's 39 degrees this morning with rain, hail and snow (on the mountains a couple miles away) with a cold wind blowing. Waiting for a decent day in the 60 - 70 degree temperature range. Looks like that may be Thursday or Friday but I'm not promising anything......
    Sounds like a good test, thanx
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Grand Master

Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy Low Budget Shooter's Avatar
    Thanks, Mr. Gibson, for the great test information.
    I'm not sure where all the money is that I've "saved" by casting and reloading!

Banned
    I always used a PAST glove shooting my model 29 back in the day. No pain no shame!

Boolit Master
    GREAT data and testing as is always the case with you....

One item mentioned a couple of times...will this load, crimped into the second groove, fit in .38 Special chambered handguns? I never tried it but noticed it mentioned a couple of times...

Again, thank you...Bob

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by RJM52 View Post
    GREAT data and testing as is always the case with you....

One item mentioned a couple of times...will this load, crimped into the second groove, fit in .38 Special chambered handguns? I never tried it but noticed it mentioned a couple of times...

Again, thank you...Bob
    Depends on the handgun's cylinder length. With my cast 358156 seated in 38 SPL cases and crimped in the 2nd crimp groove the OAL +/- of the cartridge is 1.517". They will fit in my S&W M15 but not in smaller framed 38 SPLs such as a M36 "Chief's Special" [AKA a "Billy Martin Special" because you can fire it 5 times.....]
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast