RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Surviving 1 year in the SHTF

Surviving 1 year in the SHTF

This was absolutely fascinating to read.

https://lulz.com/surviving-a-year-of...m-thread-6265/

Boolit Grand Master
    I read that years ago and it was useful for establishing a foundation for my preps.

When I moved to the boonies 8 years ago, I made it a priority to "fit in" with the locals. City folks that remain aloof will not survive long if the SHTF. They will be the first "targets". Many folks here know about my hobby and that I shot competitively. No one here had ever seen a .5 MOA group before. Showed them the K-80 shotgun...worth more than the trucks most drive.

I help people out with gun stuff from simple repairs, mounting scopes, even sighting in. I have become the local "go to" guy. Being a resource is a lot different than being a target. It will be in their interests to protect the place they get ammunition and reloads, and have guns repaired. They know I have a lathe and can make small bits and pieces if needed. I offer to help them reload their hunting ammunition and always have a supply of powder to load the typical calibers hillbillies use (.223, .243, .270, 7mm Mag, .30/30, .308, .30/06, .300 Mag, etc). I make them buy the dies and bullets if I do not have them. If the SHTF, I have loaner rifles in calibers I load for and molds for them. I need them able to fight if necessary. And I need to protect them as much as i need them to protect me.

NO ONE has much of a chance surviving a SHTF event alone. Skills and resources are priceless.
    Don Verna

My family moved to "the sticks" in 1960. We moved into the Smith house. My folks moved to a paved street with sidewalks about 2000. After they moved - the house was finally called the Bosman place.

Food is the key. 3 freezers full of chickens, beef and veggies. 50 gallons of backup fuel for the generator.
    Wood stove with 10 cords on the ground.
    Best of all? Enough components and guns to supply a small army.
    I already trade 9mm for chickens and seedlings in the spring. 223 for carpentry labor. 44 mag for chimney and stove work.
    For neighbors, we have a nurse, a massage therapist, a mechanical genius (if I can't make it I don't need it kinda guy), farms nearby (veggies and meat) and people that agree when the SHTF we will stick together.
    Just remember that grasshopper and the ant fable.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.