Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load Data

View Poll Results: What do you prefer? Win 231 or Unique in your handloads?

Voters
221. You may not vote on this poll
  • Winchester 231 (Or that Hogdon Equivalent)

90 40.72%
  • Unique (whoever manufactures that)

131 59.28%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Win231 vs Unique: Which do you prefer? What do you use it in?

Unique all the way. I can load every single pistol I own with it and get great results.

I like both powders and use them both.

But, if I could only have just one then it would be Unique.

Doesn't meter as well as 231, but can be used to load more cartridges over a wider range than any other powder I am aware of.
    Chance favors the prepared mind.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a large stock of 231 but I've heard WSF can be used grain for grain in place of unique using unique load data. I'm looking into this, as WSF meters much more smoothly than Unique does.

Boolit Master
    I have Bullseye, 231, AA5, Unique, 5744, 7227, and more that can be used in handgun loads. But I also reload 20gauge, and Unique is the most versatile powder of all for that. I always considered 231 to be a better metering choice than Bullseye, whose charge weights are more similar to 231 than Unique's.

Boolit Buddy
    Hp-38 in stock at PV right now.

Boolit Master

I just got off the web site for PV and HP-38 says out of stock for both 1# and 8# size.

Well both are very useful in my usual loading: (90% of all handgun calibers at less than 1000 fps with standard bullet weight for caliber). And 231 meters 100% better with equally easy ignition even in spacious cases: .45 Colt & .44 Magnum, so 231 is my #1 choice...and it also may be a bit more accurate in most loads for me...maybe due to uneven measuring with Unique?...Lastly, 231 is more economical to use by weight...maybe 10%? All that notwithstanding, my experience with Unique goes all the way back to 1964....and I have 16 lbs. of it down in the powder magazine as we speak. YMMv Rod
    Rod

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Evoken View Post
    I cannot comment on unique as it is not on my shelf. Win 231 is the same as hp-38 according to hodgdon. I have had good luck with it in 38spl. It was ok in 45acp.
    One of my 38 loads is 4gr under a 158gr rn lee tumble lube boolit. It does well.
    Ken
    10 months later and I still can't get over the " unique is not on my shelf" comment. If you can't load it with Unique then you have a serious problem on your hands.

I have several 8lb kegs of it on hands at all times because I know it will work in anything if shtf
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Hmm. I use very little Unique. I have some, under a lb now, but I've found other powder that work much better, and cleaner. My favorite right now would have to be Winchesters WST.

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    10 months later and I still can't get over the " unique is not on my shelf" comment. If you can't load it with Unique then you have a serious problem on your hands.

I have several 8lb kegs of it on hands at all times because I know it will work in anything if shtf
    Alliant powders are rarer than hens teeth on this area of N.A. most of the time. I do have about 3lbs on hand but don't often grab for it. I do like it in 45Colt.

Take Care

Bob
    Its been months since I bought the book, "How to scam people online". It still has not arrived yet!

"If the human population held hands around the equator, a significant portion of them would drown"

I went though a period of trying to simplify my powders maybe 30 years ago when pursuing my career. As stated, unique could be used for most all handgun loads and some shotgun. Then once established, my powder choices included, bullseye, 231, 700X, unique, 2400 and H110. Unique does have its spot for 45 colt, plus P 38 and lead bullet reduce 357. 231 has its spot for more standard handgun cartridges.
    For the near future, we are all going to have to make due until this current situation works itself out.

Woot! Just scored a 4lb can of WST, 2 1lb cans of IMR 4831, and a 1lb can of Tru Blue from Powder Valley. Got a 4lb can of Reloader 7 last week. I put what I am looking for on my favorites and check them couple times a day. Today is my lucky day. I now return you to you Unique / 231 thread, sorry to interrupt, but I got excited.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by veeman View Post
    Hmm. I use very little Unique. I have some, under a lb now, but I've found other powder that work much better, and cleaner. My favorite right now would have to be Winchesters WST.
    Other powders work better in different applications but will they work in everything Unique will across the board?
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Other powders work better in different applications but will they work in everything Unique will across the board?
    Not saying Unique isn't good, just saying, FOR ME, with all the calibers I shoot, Unique was beat out by something else in all of them. Been close a few times, but not quite the best.

Boolit Master

I use Unique, mainly because I can find it more easily in stores.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Buddy

I use both W231/HP38 and Unique in various handgun cartridges from 32ACP, 327 Federal, 380 ACP, 9x19, 38 Super, to 44 Spl, 45 ACP, 455 Webley and 45 Colt.

I also use Unique in 30-30, 30-40, 38-55, 405 Win, 45-70, and 50-95 in charges from 10gr to 14gr. They are parabolic in trjectory, but are generally exceptionally accurate. The 38-55 load of 12gr under a .380 dia 250-260 cast boolit (I use Moyers) produces groups of 1.5" and less @ 100 yds out of my Marlin and Cimarron leverguns using the thinwall short Starline cases.

Noah

Boolit Master
    Tried some 231 today in 44 spl. 5.3 grains under a 200 grain boolit;Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211207_103121.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	292783 Once in a blue moon I can shoot that well.
    Last edited by Cosmic_Charlie; 12-07-2021 at 03:34 PM.

Boolit Master

I use both and like Unique for most loads,I'm not giving up Red Dot for either
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Buddy
    I love 10.5 gr. of Unique for it's ability to shoot small, round groups with cast bullets in the .303 British cartridge..in fact, it does just that in all the other military surplus rifles I own, regardless of caliber. Also, I like to shoot the clay games with the 20 gauge and Unique under 3/4 oz. of #9 shot absolutely crushes skeet targets.

Boolit Master
    I have always preferred 231 over Unique - cleaner and more consistent, but I primarily use it for pistol cartridges.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast