Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load Data Wideners

View Poll Results: What do you prefer? Win 231 or Unique in your handloads?

Voters
221. You may not vote on this poll
  • Winchester 231 (Or that Hogdon Equivalent)

90 40.72%
  • Unique (whoever manufactures that)

131 59.28%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Win231 vs Unique: Which do you prefer? What do you use it in?

Boolit Master
    I can't chose because for my uses they do a different job. I think of WW231 for real light loads in handguns. When I go to Unique I'm usually going for heavier loads. I love 231 for the 45 Colt because I can use a bit less than 7 grains and attain the thrifty 1,000 shots per pound of powder goal I like.

I have an 8lb can of WW231 I've been shooting out of for years and it seems to have no bottom. My Unique supply shrinks much faster for some reason.

Boolit Master
    ^
    And for these light loads, the charge of W231 is just a tiny speck in the bottom of the case. So even though it flows great in a meter, it doesn't mean the charge is any more accurate. This is one of the first powders I started with. But half a bottle sits on a shelf and hasn't been used in 10 years. There are fluffier flake powders that will do light loads cleanly and make double charges impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Not unfortunate.

Some people should not reload.
    Been using W231 for 45 years. Winchester has not dropped it.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by pdgoutdoors View Post
    I use 231/HP38 mainly because I cannot find Unique for the life of me, or if I do its almost 50 bucks a pound.
    Get used too it most of the distributors are reporting price increases for 2024..

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    I'm considering giving up use of 231 in my revolvers due to the amount of powder residue left in the barrels and chambers. Some of the residue is light colored and some is grey. I can shake it out of the cylinder and blow it out the barrel. I'm using fresh powder, not long-stored. Loads are mid-range in .327 Mag, .357, and .44 spl. Anyone else noticing or experiencing this?

If I had to choose between WW-231 & Unique it would be Unique every time. Unique is far more versatile than 231. Unique will handle the light loads & some fairly heavy loads. 231 for sure has a niche, Unique just has more niches.

Boolit Master
    I’m hoping W231 will be fast enough to get me a good chamber seal in a .45 Colt 1873 - I have on good authority Unique will not serve that purpose. I loaded W231 for the first time yesterday. It’s been a few years since I loaded Unique. Neither meter well, and I must trickle charge for precise load work ups. Both are in the form of flakes from my powder cans. Anyone who thinks these meter well has not used anything from Ramshot/Accurate. I spoiled myself (as far as metering is concerned) by going with True Blue & Enforcer early on.

W231 is great in 45 Colt - my favorite powder behind a 255 grain .454" SWC.

I loaded some 32 WCF today with 3.7 grains of W231 behind a 100 grain powder coated SWC. It seems like very little powder compared to how much Unique I have to use.

Boolit Buddy Low Budget Shooter's Avatar
    I duplicated the velocity of 45 Auto Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel with 5.3 gr W231 and 5.8 gr Unique under 452374 bullet.
    I'm not sure where all the money is that I've "saved" by casting and reloading!

Boolit Mold
    Pretty much what ever I can get, currently.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456