RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2

View Poll Results: What do you prefer? Win 231 or Unique in your handloads?

Voters
221. You may not vote on this poll
  • Winchester 231 (Or that Hogdon Equivalent)

90 40.72%
  • Unique (whoever manufactures that)

131 59.28%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Win231 vs Unique: Which do you prefer? What do you use it in?

Boolit Master
    I'M precisely the opposite. I'll USE W231 if I get it as a gift or something, but I never buy any more. I have an unopened pound sitting on my reloading shelf, that I'D swap for an unopened pound of Unique, in a heartbeat.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master
    I prefer 231 for my pistol loads. I've also gone to 244 for some of them. I used to like AA#5 but it has not been available to me much of the time. When I can, I prefer powders that go through the measure better.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Don't know if I dropped my 2¢ .
    231 just hasn't been readily available to me .
    The 15# keg of Unique Dad gave me is almost gone . It's only taken me 20 yr .

I bought an 8# of Unique just after the 08' elections. Dad brought me a second owner sealed 8# in 12' and left me another with about 250 gr out of it . So I don't think I'll ever buy any again .

Little tip on Unique after loading many 38 , 38+P , 357 , ,45 Colts, 45 ACP , 380 , 9mm , under 15kpsi it is sooty , about 15 kpsi it cleans with just a flake or 4 left . By 16-18 it's as clean as any other . There is listed data from 8-40 kpsi for it from reputable print sources .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

I haven't seen any Unique for sale for a good 10 years. Stores here seem to have W231/W244, Universal, HS-6 and several of the Accurate powders, A#5, A#7 and A#9. Once in a while they get in some Lil'Gun or W296 too.

I got a 4 lb. jug of Universal about 8 years ago and like it. Practically the same burning rate as Unique, and burns cleaner with the lighter loads.
    As Harter66 said, Unique burns more completely at higher pressures, not so much with low pressure. (HS-6 is another one like that, burns cleanly and completely close to max).
    Universal doesn't seem to have that trait. If I had to choose between Universal and Unique, I'd choose Universal every time.

Boolit Master
    It's a different powder altogether but Clays is pretty good in light loads - burns very clean and consistent.

Boolit Buddy
    I love Unique and use it in a myriad of calibers between .38 Special and .45-70. I shoot a lot and usually burn through around 12 pounds each year - sometimes more. It does everything I need outside of full power hunting loads. It's my go-to for 20 gauge shotshells, too.
    Author of Hitwoman, Husband of Hitwoman, Sanctioned Hitwoman, The Chase, Cable, and Finneus.

I stocked up on Unique when it looked like there was going to be a President Dukakis. I bought all the Hercules Unique that I could. Turns out it was a good decision, and nearly a lifetime supply. 231 is OK and I didn't vote in the poll, because I load some loads with 231. Unique tends to be messy until you get to its sweet spot then it burns clean.

Yesterday I shot some 148 grain wadcutters behind 4.2 grains of Unique - perfectly clean and very accurate.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails August 7 2023 target b.jpg  

Unique is, well as the name says, Unique! It does at a faster burn rate for pistols and revolvers, what SR4759 does for rifles. And, both of those are in their own league.
    Unique has never failed to deliver an accuracy load one way or another with cast bullets in any revolver cartridge I've ever tried.
    I have, maybe, a pound of Unique left.

231, to me, is maybe better to be compared with other faster powders like Bullseye or 700x.

Now, between the two, I wish we could get back DuPont's 5066!

Boolit Master
    Unique by a nose. I've been using both since the late 80's. Unique should be compared VN 350-- <Pistol powers only.> I started with 231 because you get a lot more shots from a pound of powder. 231 is cleaner than Unique so all have ups and downs. I'm just glad to have some powder.
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 08-12-2023 at 07:07 PM.

Win 231

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0414.jpeg 
Views:	203 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	317082

Boolit Buddy
    I was an avid user of Unique until you could not get it anymore so I switched to Universal. I stashed the last of my Unique for 38 special.
    I have been using 231 for .380. 9mm, and 45 ACP for the last few years because Running's always has it in stock.

Another unfortunate incident from a recent CAS shooter. Blew up both 45 Colt SAA revolvers due to double charges of W231.
    https://forums.sassnet.com/index.php...ss-trail-boss/

Unique will prevent an overcharge from being unseen.

BTW

Unique has been manufactured since 1900. First by Laflin & Rand, then by Dupont, then Hercules, then Aliant.
    https://www.castpics.net/subsite2/Ge...-Smokeless.pdf

Using Unique will NOT automatically detect double or overcharge.
    Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Using Unique will NOT automatically detect double or overcharge.
    re-read what I said

Boolit Master
    I use them both, but for different purposes.

Unique, being "fluffy" I use quite a bit for low velocity bottleneck rifle cartridges. Also for midrange .454 Casull carbine loads. In the longer barrels and closed breaches of carbines and rifles, Unique cleans up fine.

For most pistol and revolver loads I'll use 231 over Unique every time.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BoBSavage View Post
    Another unfortunate incident from a recent CAS shooter. Blew up both 45 Colt SAA revolvers due to double charges of W231.
    https://forums.sassnet.com/index.php...ss-trail-boss/

Unique will prevent an overcharge from being unseen.

BTW

Unique has been manufactured since 1900. First by Laflin & Rand, then by Dupont, then Hercules, then Aliant.
    https://www.castpics.net/subsite2/Ge...-Smokeless.pdf
    Not unfortunate.

Some people should not reload.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

I have nearly given up on Winchester powders. 231 works well but whenever I find a powder that does all I want, that is a WW powder, they soon drop it. I have no trust that they will be there year after year.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    I like Unique for .38 & .44 Specials, for .45ACP, and for mousefart loads in a .30-30 behind a 110gr cast boolit.

Boolit Buddy
    I really like them both. They are so versatile. I started out years ago with W231. Then come up wit some AA7. I bought a 8 pound jug of AA5, and use it a lot. Unique is almost always suitable. I try to keep all four on the shelf and use them all. If I chose just one, 231.

I use 231/HP38 mainly because I cannot find Unique for the life of me, or if I do its almost 50 bucks a pound.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast