WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winchester Powder for .45 Auto

Boolit Bub

Winchester Powder for .45 Auto

I am about to use up the last of the Bullseye that I have been using for 200 grain cast SWC boolits. I would like opinions on the following Winchester powders for loading the .45 Auto: WSF, WST and 571. Titegroup is also an option. I threw the 571 into the mix since I have several pounds that I used to use for 1 ounce 20 gauge hunting loads.

1Iron

Boolit Master
    Bullseye is my favorite 200 lead powder with 45acp. Titegroup groups as good but a tad dirtier. A 1911 is not really that picky with powders. I like VN 320 and VN 340 for being clean. Clays is a fast burner also but really takes off after a certain point. I will buy almost any shotgun powder in this crunch if I can find it worth the money. A shooting buddy found a four pound jug of old Scott's for $120 and it shoots plenty good.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    WST is my powder of choice in .45 ACP. Clean burning. Accurate.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Another thumbs up for WST.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Plus another for WST
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

WSF; Good velocity low pressures. 200gr . JHP.

I used Bullseye until I tried W231. I have used nothing else in the past 40 years for reloading 45 ACP. Try it, you will like it.

https://www.handloadermagazine.com/l...-acp-pet-loads

Boolit Buddy

Over the years I used almost anything available. Now I load WST for most of my 45acp. GW

Boolit Buddy

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    Winchester 231 has always worked nice for me .
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Boolit Master
    Looks like I need to keep an eye out for some WST.

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Quote Originally Posted by justindad View Post
    Looks like I need to keep an eye out for some WST.
    Call Sportsman’s Warehouse in Murfreesboro. I think they had some last week. Two eight pound jugs of bullseye there too.

Boolit Master

Another W231 user here in the .45ACP. james

WST! Powder Valley has it in stock.

Boolit Bub
    Looks like 231 and WST are the powders of choice. Thanks for the input.

1Iron

Boolit Master
    Is WST a ball or flake powder? I used to use a lot of 231 due to ease of metering.

Boolit Master
    FYI - From SGAmmo:

News from Shot Show 2024: I just got home from 4 days in Las Vegas at the Shot Show, where I met with the people from the factories we work with, factory sales people, factory directors and owners, importers, etc. The big point of discussion seemed to be shortness in supply for nitrocellulose, which is the raw material used to make gunpowder and other propellants and explosives. Based on these conversations, the issue seems to be based on 2 factors, decreased availability in the supply chain and increased demand for the manufacturing of military ordnance. Getting into the details and a little more, a huge percentage of the nitrocellulose used to make gunpowder historically came from China and Russia, however according to my conversations with industry partners, the Chinese manufacturers who historically were the biggest suppliers at over 30% of the market share are no longer willing to ship raw nitrocellulose to the USA or NATO member countries in attempt to reduce the USA & NATO's ability to supply Ukrainian forces with artillery shells, and of course Russia who historically was the 2nd biggest supplier is out of the supply chain as well. This decrease in supply in raw material has gunpowder manufacturers in the USA raising prices dramatically and cutting off many of the smaller ammo manufacturers. The 2nd part of this issue is the demand for military ordnance, like 155mm artillery shells that use huge quantities gunpowder propellants, and the gunpowder manufacturers switching production to this type of gunpowder with what supply of nitrocellulose they do get. The first reason is that they always put the US government's needs before those of the commercial market, and the second reason is that it is simply much more profitable to manufacturer military ordnance than it is small caliber ammunition, so they get a much more profitable price manufacturing powder for artillery shells. In conclusion, while most of the factories seem to have gunpowder stockpiled today, this issue is expected to catch up to them no later than the summer of 2024 and possibly within a few months, and when it does it will mean the factories will be capable of producing much less small caliber ammunition to sell to the US commercial market. If demand for ammo is low to moderate, you may not see a big change, but if demand were to go way up as it does periodically, the factories will not be able to ramp up capacity to fill that demand. In my opinion, a lot could go wrong in the commercial ammo supply chain in 2024 and it would be wise to stock up sooner than later as 2024 price increases have just started to set in on just a handful of select items so far, and availability is still good which has held prices down temporarily.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

It's been said, but I'll sing with the chorus. You're looking for a substitute for Bullseye, and that's one I use. I also use Unique, W-231, and Accurate No. 5. All good.

DG

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    WST is excellent for 45 ACP and 38 Special.

Boolit Bub
    That's bad news, but good information. Thanks for the post.

1Iron

Boolit Bub
    I appreciate everyone's input.

1Iron

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast