RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Is this mold salvageable?

Boolit Master

Is this mold salvageable?

What's going on with this mold? Is this tin sticking to the inside? Im trying to decide if I want to buy it or wait for one that's in better shape. How much work would it be to salvage it?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mold.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	274761

Boolit Master

If it is material attached to the mold face; then it is salvageable. I would cast a few in that same boolit position; and then use a good quality polishing compound on the surface of those cast boolits to LAP the mold for that cavity. Price offer to reflect the work to bring it back to useful condition.

If it is pits in the mold; there are three other good cavities that one can cast in. Offer reduced price to account for damaged cavity.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Might look a whole lot worse in picture than in person. If I wanted that bullet, I'd give it a chance.

Banned
    like previously stated, depends on the price and how much you want it without seeing and knowing more about the mold I couldn't definitively answer the salvage question for mainly that 1 cavity and it is also scattered through the other cavities. if the site spots are pits the mold is toast, if they are lead specks, the salvage will be easy.

Boolit Master
    Just looking at the picture it looks like it would clean up fine. If you have seen it in person and it is not pitted inside and the price is fair I would buy it. Your choice .

The other thing to consider is, maybe there would be some slight pits, but if it's just a light speckling on the bullet, it won't hurt nothing. Looks like a 452374, so, will your 1911 notice a difference?

Boolit Grand Master

Is that an NEI aluminum mold? They used some kind of coating or anodizing on them. It is possible it is only cosmetic.

Boolit Master
    Only one cavity is compromised. Clean it with Kroil, don't use abrasives or steel wool etc.

You can also preheat it on a stove (400F) then heat that cell with a propane torch and wipe it out.

Banned
    yes clean it up and you will be fine

Boolit Master
    If I could get that mold for a good price I would snatch it. I am a Tinerere if I could not clean up the bad cavity I would mod it by pappeing or drilling to make a different bullet.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Looks like an alloy mold that has been sitting damp and corroded somewhat. Ive had a few like that and they still produced accurate boolits
    The Bird of Time has but a little way
    To fly-and Lo! the bird is on the wing

Boolit Buddy
    I see lead/tin deposits all over your mold. Bazoo is correct this is a Lyman 4 cavity 452374. Heavy mold. What handles were you using as this is important on heavy molds. I have 4 of these Lyman 4 cavity molds and maybe I can help. PM if you want. Oily

Boolit Master

It's not worth the $100 asking price.

http://arsenalmolds.com/products?pro...d=58&limit=100
    https://www.mp-molds.com/product/mp-...av-brass-mold/ Clone of the Lyman bullet.

Either of the two listed are far better choices in my opinion.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    get it hot and it will clean the tin/lead off.

Boolit Master
    If you want a good answer, more information is needed, like name, # and material mold is made of Alum, Brass, Steel? is it mold only or are handles included?

The mold the OP is asking about is on ebay. He doesn't have it in hand, and can't lay his hands on it, unless he buys it for the exorbitant price it's listed at.

Hope this helps.

Fred

PS: DO NOT list the ebay link, as it will be deleted.
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    If you want a good answer, more information is needed, like name, # and material mold is made of Alum, Brass, Steel? is it mold only or are handles included?
    It's a Lyman mold. See post #12.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    Ok, I found it and No i wouldn't buy a possible problem, for $100 + tax and shipping. That's just too close in price to buying a nice Brass mold from NOE or others and get exactly what you want. If I were going to buy a mold for a 45 my first choice would be a #68 design to begin with. Probably better molds are or will be available here for sale.

Banned
    The bid is at $99.99 + $8.30 shipping AND there are 6 days left Not worth the gamble for that kind of money.
    I wouldn't do it unless it was the last 45 mold on earth and I was desperate.

Ther's been a lot more people trying to pawn off junk molds lately

my 2¢