RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prayer requests

Boolit Master

Prayer requests

Why do you suppose so many Christians ask for others to pray for them--all the time? It happens here on this forum and I have seen it in almost every church service I have been to. I remember one woman that had an "unspoken" prayer request every time.

Do we suppose that others' prayers are more effective than ours? Are we under the impression that God will only listen to a delegation? Are we ganging up on God? Now I see there is a thread suggesting we fast in order to motivate God to change the election. Is any of this biblical?

Sure the New Testament tells us to pray for each other and Paul did request prayer for his ministry. But the model prayer taught by Jesus is very simple and concentrates on praying for God's glory, the accomplishment of His will, the forgiveness of our sins, aid in avoiding temptation, and that God continues to provide for our needs.

There's no where in the prayer that all our troubles should be taken away, every sick person cured, financial whims provided or elections over turned.

I'll also add that Jesus taught against repeating the same prayer over and over again. He taught that we did not have to harass God in our prayer (Luke 18:1-8).

Boolit Master
    My Christian experience has taught me to ask the Lord for help when I need it.

When I was first came to know Christ, I kept a prayer journal with prayer requests on one side and answers to those prayers on the other side. What a faith building experience that was!

I also believe very strongly in the power of corporate prayer. We need time alone with the Lord in prayer and times of prayer together with other believers. Lately, I have been failing miserably on both counts.

Many people, especially during these trying times, do not have access to friends, family or a church to pray with, or to ask for prayer. So, they turn to their family at Cast Boolits. I applaud them for that!

God does not say yes to every prayer, but He does give us access to the throne room of God through the blood of Christ. What a privilege that is for the believer!

Are you in trouble? Pray! Then pray with others as God gives you the opportunity. Finally, wait expectantly for His answer. I am sure you will be blessed as you depend on your heavenly Father for every need in every situation.

"...and the smoke of the incense, with the prayers of the saints, rose before God from the hand of the angel." Revelation 8:4 (E.S.V.)

ickisrulz, I hope you are well, and I hope that my comments do not give offense.

God bless!

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Would God do x if no prayer was offered for it? Once my cousin was in jail for drugs. So his mom was dying. I was told he would be in jail and not get to see her one last time. I said a little prayer to myself about it. Come time, the sheriffs accompanied him and took him to visit her before her death, and he was allowed to see her in private before the funeral service. When I heard this, I felt as if God allowed this due only to my prayers.

There are some who's prayers have a stronger pull on The Lord in my estimation. My prayers for myself don't have the faith that the prayers others have for me.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    My prayers for myself don't have the faith that the prayers others have for me.
    How do you know other people have more faith than you? Do you put faith in their prayers or in God?

Super Moderator

It's just comforting to know that others are placing faith and prayer for, and with you in a time of spiritual need. It's just good Christian fellowship as I see it, coming together to support one another.

Banned

It is Biblical, we are supposed to ask our Heavenly Father for assistance in our troubles. It is also Biblical that where two or three gather in His name, there He is also. We are also taught to continue to pray until we receive an answer. To ask for the same blessing from God more than once is not harassment. If someone is asking for parayer and you don't want to pray then don't pray, that's your perogative. AS for me, I have no problem helping someone else by helping them pray about something. I hear so many times, "the least we can do is pray". I disagree, to pray is the most we can do.
    Last edited by tankgunner59; 01-04-2021 at 09:20 PM.

I have not asked here often, but when I did I got stellar results.

As a result I have turned my wife into a "prayer warrior" If someone asks, she lifts one. In part I think because she knows she would not have made it without the many prayers of others helping her out.

I seldom ask the Lord for anything for me other than healing for my wife.
    Without her I would be lost and worthless.

We both know that he has watched over me, guided me, sent me down the paths I needed to walk. And that he carried me over the worst spots. Now we sit here retired with an abundance of all we need, more blessings than we have any right to. So there is nothing I need to ask for.

By the same token, when he asks me to watch over and take care of a neighbor you can bet I'm not dragging my feet.
    I'm giving that job all I have. Anything we replace chances are the old but still good unit goes to her. From Vacumn's to TV's.

This summer the Covid hit her hard. She is my age, still works part time for those who need a little help cooking, cleaning, shopping, etc. The Covid shut all that down. Then the brakes went on her van and she needed 500$ to pay off the bill.

I had told her several times that if she got into a spot, tell me. So she did.

Two hours later I walked over to her yard with my little dog Casey. Handed her 500$. She tried to make all kinds of excuses, was all flustered. Peggy I said, the LORD told me to watch over you. You are my one job he wants me to do.

Don't worry about the money. I have 40 years of tithe to catch up on, and he knows it well. He also knows I can afford it.
    So go pay off your bill, and if you need more, talk to me.

After visiting for 15 minutes I am walking down the alley and I hear the words I never expected to hear.

"Ohhh thou good and faithful servant William Thomas, well done. Very very well done."

I hit my knees in the gravel. Overcome with emotion.

I did not think I would ever hear those words.

I have been a black sheep, I have failed at almost everything I have ever tried. Not my marriage, not St Peggy. Maybe I do a little good here at cast boolits. But everything else.

Prayer WORKS. Prayers of children I find to be especially effective.
    Prayer for Others works better than prayer for myself. (In my opinion)

Be GOOD to others. It is better to give than to receive. Learn to forgive as Jesus forgave.
    LOVE and be not stinting with it. Scatter it like seed and reap the reward.
    Spread the good news any way you can. For me here on CB works well.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    How do you know other people have more faith than you? Do you put faith in their prayers or in God?
    I guess I don't think I have a lot of faith. I put my faith in both I reckon. Be honest with you I don't know much about spiritual matters, just that I've had my experiences enough to know God is real and he loves us.

My wife is sickly and lots and lots of prayers have not seen her be healed. That makes it hard for me to have faith. But i still know God is real, but I don't have much faith when I pray for her now. I used to though. Seems like when her mom prays for me, I always feel better though. That's all I know.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I guess I don't think I have a lot of faith. I put my faith in both I reckon. Be honest with you I don't know much about spiritual matters, just that I've had my experiences enough to know God is real and he loves us.

My wife is sickly and lots and lots of prayers have not seen her be healed. That makes it hard for me to have faith. But i still know God is real, but I don't have much faith when I pray for her now. I used to though. Seems like when her mom prays for me, I always feel better though. That's all I know.
    The Lord listens to, and answers our prayers. Sometimes he gives us answers that we don't want to hear. The Lord has a plan for each and everyone of us. My Dad always told me that many times we don't understand his his plans and sometimes we don't like his answers but he is the Lord and he loves us and he knows what is best for each of us.
    Gary

Boolit Master
    James 5 13-16

Is anyone among you in trouble? Let them pray. Is anyone happy? Let them sing songs of praise. Is anyone among you sick? Let them call the elders of the church to pray over them and anoint them with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up. If they have sinned, they will be forgiven. Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.

The scriptures teach by example that we should pray for one another. This is just one example, there are plenty of examples of people asking for prayer. I think personally we comfort each other by knowing like minds are lifting us up, when sometimes we can't even lift up our own head.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    James 5 13-16

Is anyone among you in trouble? Let them pray. Is anyone happy? Let them sing songs of praise. Is anyone among you sick? Let them call the elders of the church to pray over them and anoint them with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up. If they have sinned, they will be forgiven. Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.

The scriptures teach by example that we should pray for one another. This is just one example, there are plenty of examples of people asking for prayer. I think personally we comfort each other by knowing like minds are lifting us up, when sometimes we can't even lift up our own head.
    Consider in your example from James that the person being prayed for is sick. Probably very sick as they had to call church elders to them rather than visiting a Christian gathering. The idea that the sick individual had to be prayed over possibly meant they were laid out due to illness (the elders were standing over them). In other words, the sick person did not have the strength or ability to pray for himself. Others had to do it. The other thing (i.e., trouble) believers were told to pray about were to be an individual endeavor.

This passage from James is also interesting in the fact it suggests that some sicknesses that believers experience are a result of sin. Paul talked about the same thing, some people even died because of their sin. I could make a strong case that this was unique to First Century Christians that had seen the day of Pentecost and the miracles being performed at the hands of the Apostles. Irrefutable proof of God's existence, His intervention and His mandates brings great responsibility and commensurate consequences for ignoring that proof. We no longer see people dropping dead in church like Ananias and Sapphira.
    Last edited by Ickisrulz; 01-05-2021 at 01:41 PM.

Banned

Bazoo, please remember, first God does all things in His time not ours. Second, and this is hard for all of us to accept, but God answers all prayers, but sometimes the answer is no.
    I have had the same prayer request for years, my wife has multiple health problems and I have been praying and asking for prayer for her for years. She hasn't been healed from her illnesses, but she has had relief many many times. I thank the Lord for that.
    I too have been a black sheep for most of my life, and the one thing I ask Him to grant me is for me to grow to be a better Christian daily. Keep the faith brother, if you need encouragement, try reading/re-reading the book of Job.

Boolit Master
    I asked a similar question, here once, apologys if it sounded snarky.
    Go to church on a Wednesday night
    and you will see prayer asked and answered.
    Ask a prayer here
    you will see it answered.
    Doesn't matter because of the boat.

I believe we are all in the same boat.
    God's boat.
    A very big boat.
    Some deny there is a boat.
    Some are still looking for their first class cabin.
    Some sit in the middle and complain
    about where they think the boat is going.
    Others on the gunwhales man the oars and pull.
    Can we make God's boat go faster, or steer it?
    No, of course not.
    I believe it makes God smile to see us trying to help out.
    Christmas gospel:
    "For with God nothing shall be impossible".
    Nunc Demittis

Banned

Amen, .429&H110. Notice I didn't say "and Awomen"?

Boolit Master
    My brother is convinced God is a woman named Gaia.
    He worships the starbucks label.
    He surely will be surprised when he falls off the boat.

If you like the boat
    how about the snowglobe...

We are all in the same snowglobe.
    Sometimes my Savior will give it a good shake.
    Stuff flies around it's kind of pretty.
    Stuff settles out all re-arranged.
    What stays the same?
    The trees and houses glued on tight.
    Prayer, faith, fellowship are the glue.
    Best sermons are children's sermons.
    Works for me YMMV

Boolit Master
    "Sometimes my Savior will give it a good shake." Yes we are in times of shaking, everything that can be shaken will be shaken.

I put my faith in what Jesus has done for me, is doing for me and will do for me. On Christ the solid rock I stand.

"On Christ the solid rock I stand."

Amen ioon44, Amen. All other ground is shifting sand.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundarstick View Post
    James 5 13-16

Is anyone among you in trouble? Let them pray. Is anyone happy? Let them sing songs of praise. Is anyone among you sick? Let them call the elders of the church to pray over them and anoint them with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise them up. If they have sinned, they will be forgiven...........
    Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post

This passage from James is also interesting in the fact it suggests that some sicknesses that believers experience are a result of sin. Paul talked about the same thing, some people even died because of their sin. .....
    Ickisrulz, we have had several exchanges about the topic of Karma and reincarnation and your position on some of the passages that I presented on the subject were dismissed by you because you felt I was interpreting them wrong.
    Now, I see that you are explaining that James and Paul were saying just that. ("some sickness that believers experience are a result of sin.") That is Karma!
    No?
    1A - 2A = -1A

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rizzo View Post
    Ickisrulz, we have had several exchanges about the topic of Karma and reincarnation and your position on some of the passages that I presented on the subject were dismissed by you because you felt I was interpreting them wrong.
    Now, I see that you are explaining that James and Paul were saying just that. ("some sickness that believers experience are a result of sin.") That is Karma!
    No?
    No. Not at all.

Boolit Master
    Had a missionary at the church that said
    a man was hit by a car in Cambodia
    no-one stopped, it was his karma to get hit,
    so we don't interfere with his karma.
    Contrast that to Jesus' teaching of the Good Samaritan.

At church tonight Pastor's lesson:
    There are many reasons for prayer
    1) In worship
    2) To draw close in spiritual intimacy.
    3) To confess our sin (God saw it, we have to agree He saw it)
    4) To give thanks for prayers answered
    5) Prayers for someone else's need
    6) For timely help in situations that overwhelm us
    7) And last when the above is done:
    To receive mercy and find grace to help in our time of need.

Hebrews 4:14 "...let us hold fast our profession."
    16 "...that we may obtain mercy, and find grace
    to help in a time of need."

Good fun on a Wednesday night to hear the Word.
    The children rock the place when they get out,
    all ages out for recess under the lights.
    Cool out, 50's, dress warmly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast