MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load Data
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oh no !!! First PPb Shots Fired !!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JKR View Post
    Thanks for the offer. I’ll get one shot this week.
    I’ve sent Lucinda an email.
    JKR
    You might want to try the phone. When I've emailed them in the past it's usually taken weeks to get a response and sometimes I don't get one at all. I've pretty much given up on emailing them and just call.

Chris.

Boolit Man
    Thanks. If I don’t hear back on Monday I’ll do that.
    JKR

Boolit Man
    Far North, I appreciate your thread here, I"ve been struggling with PPing, Sunday I went out and tried to get it working and it was a disaster with what I had loaded, I posted a long thread over on Shiloh forums and I"ve gotten so much advice thats its almost overload! Like what you've got going here, I've read through all the advice on here you were given and there are a few things i also need to go back and look at myself, so appreciated this thread! Really like your range you've built. We just go out to the pasture and set up targets at different ranges and go at it.
    Chris W.,

Quote Originally Posted by mongo40 View Post
    Far North, I appreciate your thread here, I"ve been struggling with PPing, Sunday I went out and tried to get it working and it was a disaster with what I had loaded, I posted a long thread over on Shiloh forums and I"ve gotten so much advice thats its almost overload! Like what you've got going here, I've read through all the advice on here you were given and there are a few things i also need to go back and look at myself, so appreciated this thread! Really like your range you've built. We just go out to the pasture and set up targets at different ranges and go at it.
    Chris W.,
    Thanks Mongo...... hey you know i moved up to Alaska from South Central Oklahoma, i also new a guy named Chris W. ....... that wouldnt stand for chris White by any chance would it ?
    I've got my loads down to about 2.5 inches @150yrds .
    I got some loaded now with 85grs of 2f ... but ive been busy and its been -14 so i haven't shot in a while . These guys are awesome and their advice has helped me a ton !!!

Thanks for all the help guys !!! I think I'm on the right track now . I loaded 82grs of goex ffg , 1 .030 veggie wad and one .030 ldpe wad .... i need to order some .060 ldpe sheets . And then seated my 530gr Elliptical at .100 into the case .
    5 shot group at 150yrds , the high one went off before i was ready and called it before even looking down the spotting scope . The 4 shots are exactly 1inch group , and 1 3/4inch if i count my fault . I'm pleased with it and now i will load up 10 more to see how they do !! Thanks again everyone!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_20210214_144502(1).jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	23.9 KB 
ID:	277663Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_20210214_144639(1).jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	277664Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Resized_20210214_144610(1).jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	277665

and now the real sickness begins

Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    and now the real sickness begins
    Thanks Lead Pot !!!! It truly is addictive, but it better for a man than sitting around watching tv all the time !!! Well i think it is , last weekend i drove 320miles round trip to buy 10 pounds of black powder ( the limit ) and last night i ordered ldpe sheets lol ..
    Thanks for the help and advice !!! I really appreciate it.
    Pat

Your on the way Pat. Now it just takes trigger time and that is the fun part.

If they ever open the borders again I will be heading back up your way and maybe we can make some smoke. I always take one rifle up there with me, some times two .

Pat,

Now you're making it look easy! Way to go!!!

Once you realize fully how easy loading extremely accurate paper patch loads is you'll wonder why anyone loads those other kind, you know the greasy grooved kind!

I tell people that for it to be any easier the darn things would have to load themselves and I not sure everybody believes me, but it's true.

You'll like what the .060" LDPE wads do for your loads too.

Well done.
    Jim Kluskens
    aka Distant Thunder

Black powder paper patching is a journey, enjoy the ride!

I have following this thread intently as I am going down the same path as FarNorth45, except mine is a 45-90.
    Thanks to everyone for the wealth of knowledge here!!
    My question is are you all using 45 cal LDPE wads or 44 cal wads for PP loads? The 45 cal LDPE wads I have are .464 diameter and there is NO way I can get them in a .453 case mouth. The 44 cal wads per the BACO web site are .446 which would seem to be too small.

Dave
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
    --Rep. Suzanna Gratia Hupp (TX)

Your on the way Pat. Now it just takes trigger time and that is the fun part.

If they ever open the borders again I will be heading back up your way and maybe we can make some smoke. I always take one rifle up there with me, some times two .
    That sounds like a lot of fun to me !!! If you make it back up here look me up and we will get together!!!! I live down on the Kenai Peninsula and our gun range goes out to 1,000yrds or i have 300yrds in my front yard . That would be a blast !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Distant Thunder View Post
    Pat,

Now you're making it look easy! Way to go!!!

Once you realize fully how easy loading extremely accurate paper patch loads is you'll wonder why anyone loads those other kind, you know the greasy grooved kind!

I tell people that for it to be any easier the darn things would have to load themselves and I not sure everybody believes me, but it's true.

You'll like what the .060" LDPE wads do for your loads too.

Well done.

Thanks Distant Thunder, you guys made the learning curve so much shorter !!! Honestly it wasn't that hard to accomplish if a guy just listens to the knowledge that has been shared here!!
    I do find it easier and more satisfying that messing with GG bullets ...... cleaning is so easy also . Makes me wish i could paper patch for all my guns ha!ha

Quote Originally Posted by dirtball View Post
    I have following this thread intently as I am going down the same path as FarNorth45, except mine is a 45-90.
    My question is are you all using 45 cal LDPE wads or 44 cal wads for PP loads? The 45 cal LDPE wads I have are .464 diameter and there is NO way I can get them in a .453 case mouth. The 44 cal wads per the BACO web site are .446 which would seem to be too small.

Dave

I use 45 cal rifle wads at .460 and was buying them at first . Now i just punch out my own .460 wads , at first i just made my own punch but last night i ordered a .460 wad punch from Baco for $20 .
    All the advice / knowledge these guys share are spot on and shorten the learning curve tremendously!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtball View Post

Dave
    I have a .45 cal Cornell wad punch ( mounts on your press ) from Buffalo Arms. It cuts them slightly smaller so they are easier to fit into the case.

Chris.

The Cornell press mounted wad punch does cut one smaller. Mine cuts the .45's .460"
    At .453" it looks like your full length sizing your cases. Load your fired cases at least with the powder and wad then taper crimp the case and seat your bullet when you get the proper neck diameter so you can still finger seat a snug fitting bullet.
    I don't like to taper crimp a round with the bullet seated because your also swaging the portion of the bullet down that is in the case mouth.

The Cornell press mounted wad punch does cut one smaller. Mine cuts the .45's .460"
    At .453" it looks like your full length sizing your cases. Load your fired cases at least with the powder and wad then taper crimp the case and seat your bullet when you get the proper neck diameter so you can still finger seat a snug fitting bullet.
    I don't like to taper crimp a round with the bullet seated because your also swaging the portion of the bullet down that is in the case mouth.
    Thank You, I will give that a try.
    BACO's web site lists two 45 cal Cornell punches, one for 45 cal "Rifle", and one for 45 cal "Colt/454 Casull". But they do NOT list a diameter for either.
    I should probably call them and see if I can get more info.

Dave
    "How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."

Dave, use the rifle punch. You need a good tight fitting wad to keep from getting gas cuts. The .454" is too small for the .45 rifle.
    The wads you have will also work as long as they don't bulge the case wall and hamper loading the cartridge in the chamber.

Dave, use the rifle punch. You need a good tight fitting wad to keep from getting gas cuts. The .454" is too small for the .45 rifle.
    The wads you have will also work as long as they don't bulge the case wall and hamper loading the cartridge in the chamber.
    Thanks!!
    I will give it a try as soon as we get a break in the weather.

Dave

Dave,

You are using a case full of black powder ??
    Don't try using smokeless and seat a wad on a smokeless load. There should not be a gap between the wad and bullet, smokeless or black powder.

Dave,

You are using a case full of black powder ??
    Don't try using smokeless and seat a wad on a smokeless load. There should not be a gap between the wad and bullet, smokeless or black powder.
    Jamison brass, BR-2 Primer, 90gr EO 1.5, .060 vegie wad (currently), compress to .10", seat bullet by hand, MAKE SMOKE!!
    Bullet is a BACO 446535 wraped with an onion skin paper I have had for decades. Wrapped dia about .4515, then sized to about .4505.
    It will slide snugly into the barrel with the push of one finger, does not indent the paper, but remains in the barrel if case is extracted.

Dave

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast