RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RCBS .45 ACP shot form die

Boolit Grand Master

RCBS .45 ACP shot form die

I finally used the RCBS forming die I bought a few years ago. I must say it is a lot easier to make decent cases than with the hodgepodge of assorted dies I used to use, not to mention the despised case trimmer.

Next project- using the loading dies and making loads that cycle through my 1911.

Robert

Boolit Master

I do not the cases you are forming from but if you have a couple of 45 win mag cases they really work well

Gmsharps

The problem with using .45 Winchester Magnum brass is it usually splits the first firing, at least in my experience. Using .308, or .243 brass, will last longer. It's also not a good idea to use .30-06 brass, since the relief cut for the extractor isn't large enough, and can result in a broken extractor in a 1911.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

While I have loaded for shot loads for 38/357's, I've yet to load any for my 45 Autos. I also have two 45 Auto revolvers. My one experience has been shooting a CCI 45 aluminum cased cartridge through a Mountain Gun in 45 Auto. I'm thankful I only needed one shot out of the six in the full moon clip to get what needed doing done. Extraction was a problem. I'm not sure what caused it. I just knew I have zero plans of ever doing it again with that gun.

I have entertained making some out of 243 or 308 brass to see how those work. I was aware of the RCBS die set, but sticker shock waved me off of that idea. The various other methods of using X number of dies, just isn't that appealing. If not too pricey, what I would like to see is a set of dies that crimps the case the way Remington once made them. I guess for now when it comes to my revolvers and shot shell loads, I'll be looking at the CCI shot cups.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Grand Master
    I hear you on the sticker shock Murphy. I did not buy these at retail. I got them a couple of years ago at an estate auction, had to buy two good sized boxes to get both. One was $7.50, the other was $12.50, and then some jerk tried to say the form die set wasn't complete since it didn't have three dies.

I firmly told the auctioneer that it was complete, and I would give the $12.50 that I had bid. (It had the form die and the extended shellholder in the box).

Also included was a RCBS 32-098-SWC mold, no handles for the mold though.

The problem is I can't find my bag of #12 shot. I guess I'll make the trial loads with salvaged #9, and order another ten pound bag of #12.

For this round of testing I am using a new bag of SIG .308 Winchester brass that I bought a couple of years ago.

Robert

I sold my set of .45scp shot dies last year or so but I was able to make shot shells that would cycle in my .45, thinking that I used.308 brass, #9 shot, punched clear plastic pieces to go over the shot and then painted it with clear nail polish to seal it. Also used gas checks on some too.

While I thought it was not that hard to make them with 41 mag dies, and getting them to cycle was also easy.... Getting them to "pattern" well was a whole different matter.

The RCBS die set is made to use commercial .308 or .243 brass. You can size military brass, but forming the neck is best done in a big, iron, press.

Boolit Master
    I’ve had this box of 243 brass sitting around and nothing to do with it, so I gave it away last week. Never thought about using it for shot shells.

Boolit Grand Master
    Ah the joys of non-standard load development. I made three trial loads with 6.0 Grains of 231, a cut down claybuster 410 wad, #9 shot and an overshot card cut from a primer sleeve.

All rounds fed from the magazine, and fired. They even sort of extracted, what they did not do was eject. I had two that almost rechambered and one almost stovepipe.

I have very light rifling marks on the brass case necks. Am going to try powder charges of both plus and minus .2 gr.

Gun is a Kimber Classic Custom 1911 that works with all my other loads, so I do not want to change the revoil spring just to suit one very occasional use round.

I'll update as needed.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    My first guess would be that more powder is needed, but it's hard to say without pictures. I've been making these for years (since ~ the 1980s) and too much powder can cause the case mouth to stick to the rifling, but some light rifling imprinting on the mouth is normal, and springback usually makes them release nicely; Not enough powder, of course, results in FTEs from insufficient recoil. They should feel VERY low recoil compared to regular loads, that's normal for these.

It might take over .2 gr more powder to get them to eject, try it and see which option (+ or -) does better at ejecting.

Been told that 5 of these in the magazine is the upper limit for them to feed properly, never tried more.

Also any brass that has a neck crack but uses the same base diameter can be repurposed to these, so long as case head separation isn't an issue.

Boolit Grand Master
    Mr Sheesh, you may be right.

5.8 grains didn't work. Then I realized that the empties barely cleared the ejection port. So I measured the cases, oops they are 1.220-1.230" long.

Broke out the case trimmer and trimmed a few to 1.180" and loaded them with 6.0 grains, still no joy. Will try 6.2 tomorrow. I will say the did eject easier when I manually operated the slide.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Any update on this? I make the bee loads for my .45 Colt. Would be interested to see if these would function in my combat camander.

I might have to dig in my cases and see what I have.

Boolit Grand Master
    Yeah, they still don't cycle. I'm thinking maybe the SIG brass is the problem, It sure seems to expand a lot anyway.

When it warms back up I'll try again. Too cold to go digging in the barn for different brass.

If I can get them to cycle I'll get some to you to try in your Commander.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Try milsurp brass, I've made all of mine using that with no issues; It will only load so many times, with flaring / roll crimping, but it is cheap and does the job.

For my S&W AutoRim, using commercial, .308 brass, I can make cylinder length (minus 1mm) shot shells.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    While I have loaded for shot loads for 38/357's, I've yet to load any for my 45 Autos. I also have two 45 Auto revolvers.
    Murphy

Quote Originally Posted by dbosman View Post
    For my S&W AutoRim, using commercial, .308 brass, I can make cylinder length (minus 1mm) shot shells.
    That, is something I have considered thinking it may be the best yet. More payload per shot. I'm not looking to make a mini-.410 out of it, but used my imagination a bit and that crossed my mind. How do you accomplish it?

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

You might try a slower powder. I load the same as You but use Unique about 5gr. It functions both my Colts, a 1991A1 and an O.M. Good patterns with #9 shot
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Made some out of 303 British for my 44spl. cut off cylinder length they were very hard to eject
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogieman View Post
    You might try a slower powder. I load the same as You but use Unique about 5gr. It functions both my Colts, a 1991A1 and an O.M. Good patterns with #9 shot
    Nice info. I think I still have plenty of Unique around here. It's almost warm enough to fix th flue on my woodstove and the get the shop back up and going. Next is I know I have 4,6 and 8 shot but don't know if I have smaller. That a whole other building to dig in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast