Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RCBS .45 ACP shot form die

Boolit Master
    I have been making them using military. 308 using the Rcbs die set for many years.
    They always cycle for me in the 1911 pistol and I have used 30 06 cases to make them for shooting the Ruger .45 acp cylinder in blackhawk single action.
    You just can't expect a decent pattern without a shot wad to enclose the shot thru the barrel.
    They will blow thru there with just a gas check top and bottom but only make hits at such close range as you could kill a snake with a long handled hoe or shovel.
    Just a big waste of shot.
    These loads with a wad only need a small amount of shot and put it all on target.
    Other wise, you may as well just use the old 20 or 16 or 12 gauge shotgun.
    I got a 25 pounder of 12 size shot back when it was available and I have plenty left.
    Use no 9 if that's all you have.
    I helped others load shot and many times they reuse the old aluminum cases that held shot before and they fail to resize the case.
    Then malfunctions happen!
    And I can't believe loaders who want to crimp the case like the factory.
    That ruins the case!
    Always use a shot sleeve to enclose the shot
    Any other way is a waste of good shot in a rifled barrel IMHO.
    Good Luck!.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Far more convenient to carry a handgun all day than a long gun, which is why we make these shot shells

Boolit Man
    I have some of these shotshells I got from someplace no longer remembered, and want to make some of these for myself; I do some work in rattlesnake country from time to time. The ones I have are necked down and crimped closed with a gas check - don't know what's under the shot to separate it from the powder. I figure these are custom dies, and if so, are they still available? If there is an RCBS part # and/or other info on that subject, I'd appreciate hearing about that.
    Thanx.

It took 6.0 gn of 231 to get mine to run. I use 308/243 brass and cut down .410 wads.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...hlight=45+shot

They function like regular ammunition.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M99SavNut View Post
    I have some of these shotshells I got from someplace no longer remembered, and want to make some of these for myself; I do some work in rattlesnake country from time to time. The ones I have are necked down and crimped closed with a gas check - don't know what's under the shot to separate it from the powder. I figure these are custom dies, and if so, are they still available? If there is an RCBS part # and/or other info on that subject, I'd appreciate hearing about that.
    Thanx.
    RCBS used to make them, but I don't think they do any more. They were expensive, I bought mine at an estate auction.

I have also made them with a combination of dies to fit what I had on hand.

I found a place online that showed how to make a set of .45 shotshell dies on a lathe, with required drill dimensions, but that was a few computers ago.

6.0-6.2 grains of 231 seems to be the most recommended load. I like #12 shot for snakes. I have used various things to close the front of the case, ranging from .35 or .375 cal gas checks to 3/8" wads cut with a hollow punch.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    On the link http://www.avr-developers.com/45shot...cartridges.pdf does anyone know the angle on the shoulder where it transitions from 12mm diameter to 11mm? If not the angle, what about the length of the neck that is actually 11mm.

I have a tool & die maker interested and he will need these dimensions before he'll chuck anything up in the lathe.

I have some loaded shells from the RCBS die set, would good photos of those help them see what is needed?

Basically you are headspacing on that shoulder, so it is pretty sharp IIRC. I'll have to find the one shell, it's not where I thought it was right now.

I could maybe size a 308 casing and send that to you, unprimed so it would be easy to mail? Or someone else could if they have no mobility issues so they could get it mailed easier

Boolit Grand Master
    I'll try to check dimensions tonight when I get home.

As far as the angle goes for the home made forming die; when I was contemplating making one, I figured the angle of the drill would be close enough. Most of those are 118 degrees, fireforming will take care of the rest.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master
    I finally measured the form die, then forgot the paper I wrote the dimensions on.

Length of die: 1.075"

Depth to bottom of shell holder: 1.200"

I could not get a measurement of the shoulder forming angle, but it should be the length of a .45 ACP case from the bottom of the shell holder.

To use a die this short, you will need an extended shell holder that will fit inside the 7/8x14 threaded hole in a press. Mine is an RCBS #3.

This form die makes cases that will eventually work, but they needed a bit more trimming to clear the ejection port on my Kimber 1911.

Hope this helps,

Robert

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12