WidenersReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RepackboxLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: desiccant long term storage , home made types ,kitty litter, Commercial DRIERITE

Banned

desiccant long term storage , home made types ,kitty litter, Commercial DRIERITE

need ideas

Boolit Man

Vacuum - 500 microns
    Link to leave feedback for me.

Will Rogers 1879 - 1935:
    The problem ain't what people know. It's what people know that ain't so that's the problem.
    Everybody is ignorant. Only on different subjects.
    There are three kinds of men. The ones that learn by readin’. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Boolit Buddy
    Are you trying to store powder? The black plastic container it comes in is best. Did you purchase a large quantity of surplus powder and are inquiring how to store it?

Boolit Bub

I have bought and used 10 pounds of this stuff. It's the bee's knees:

https://www.amazon.com/Dry-Premium-I...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Mrs. Jorg0370 ripped out the drawstrings, and then sewed the bags shut after I weighed 100 grams of the gel above inside each bag:

https://www.amazon.com/Hopttreely-Pr.../dp/B078249Y7C

This stuff is useless:

https://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-Scoop.../dp/B01J5GE3MA

Edit: The gel from the first link turns green after absorbing water, and can be recharged in the oven.

Boolit Bub
    Regular dri wall. You can re-use it by drying in the oven also

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

if you are trying to do something like "damp-rid" but want it cheeper, most cement places have calcium chloride in bulk which is the same, but I would be hesitant to use it in a safe. they make rechargable packets for safes and anyplace that sells safes should have them
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Buddy
    Tractor tire dealer will have calcium chloride also, they mix it with water and put in the rear tires for ballist.

shaune509

Boolit Grand Master

The old time tradesman used chalk sticks in tool box drawers and cabinets, in cabinets if available it was blocks. one shop got chalk in in 2" thick 4" wide and 8" long blocks 10-12 in a box it was used also for grinding big rubber rolls. Normally when a new box came in the blocks in cabinets were exchanged with the new to refresh them.

Boolit Bub

I just did the math on 5 pounds of silica for $25 and 100 pouches for $7. That turns into twenty-two 100 gram packs for about $1.60 each. Sewing machine, labor, and time not included in the cost. OP did say home made, so there you go.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Go to your local pharmacy and ask them to save the desiccants that come in the boxes of drugs for you. They will give them to you for free. I use them in the cans of extra brass. They last forever. To regenerate them, warm them with a hair dryer
    Regards
    John

Moderator Emeritus

I get so many from vitamin bottles, prescriptions, packaging that I just toss them in various containers. I also have the rechargeable ones.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a quart jar of of Silica Bead Dessicant in my safe. When it starts to fade I bake at 175 overnight in the oven.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1568R.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	45.8 KB 
ID:	274470
    It’s in a quart mason jar with ring. I use a paper towel screwed down with the ring. I tend to cut the excess paper towel off.

I'm A Honcho!
    Get the cat litter silica gel and a pack of cheap nylon socks. Fill halfway and tie. Works great.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

Boolit Buddy
    I went to "Michael's" , here it's a craft/hobby store, bought a 10lb box of flower dessicant which is just Silica gel, put some in an old sock and put it in the safe, cheaper than what they sell for the same thing, Michael's also have a weekly ad with a 20% off coupon, I think I paid $8 for the lg box.
    I may be wrong on the weight but it's a large box.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Boolit Master

Pst... you can microwave them for about 30 second intervals for the same recharge effect. We use the same stuff in radar.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

When I retired I bought 5 quart cans of desiccant. We shipped it with certain apparatus that required extreme dryness. It was the type that indicated usage by turning pink. That was almost 15 years ago and I'm still using it.

I also have a big plastic container of cat litter that does not change color but works almost as well. I take quart cans and punch holes using an electrical box knock out. If you put a lot of holes, it can get to be a job but lasts forever. I keep a couple of these in the 2nd safe which is smaller. The good stuff goes in the big safe.

For iron molds and other small ferrous items I use the small capsules and paper packets that come in drugs. Son is a pharmacist that supplies nursing/assisted living homes so has a bunch.

All of these I either regenerate in the oven or just replace the small stuff periodically.
    John
    W.TN