Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Worth $30? Time will tell...

Worth $30? Time will tell...

I noticed weeks ago that CDNN had Weaver Kaspa 3x9 scopes for $29.99. ( Without turret caps)...
    What the heck, thought I. So I bought one.
    I mounted it on my EDC Tikka 22-250, focused it at 100 yards on 9x; tightened the focus lock ring, and quickly sighted it in.
    Digging through my parts, I found two slightly scratched turret caps that fit- ( probably Tasco?)- a shot of bbq black paint on those and they look good.
    Yesterday, while showing it to my brother, we discovered that the caps would move the adjustments if tightened snug- whoops.
    A couple of 1" diameter o-rings on the turrets raised the caps to clear. I fired one shot at 100yds, then aimed at that bullet hole and fired another shot. It looked like about 2" to the left so I moved the adjustment 8 clicks to the right. I aimed at the first bullet hole- and hit it.
    I'll keep testing it, but if you need an inexpensive brother in law gun or .22 scope, I think you could do worse. Of course it's Chinese.
    No ties to CDNN, but they've always done me right- and they still have a dozen to sell last I looked.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

I’m avoiding knowingly purchasing ChiComm products, getting easier everyday.

Agree that CDNN is a good outlet with great prices and customer service.

FWIW, from 1970 through 1990 I never spent more than $25 for a new scope with a 1" tube - especially on my RF's.

I still like the cheap scopes, but do have a few Leupold's & a Trijicon.

The only scope I ever had issues with was a Lyman Alaskan (go figure) that fogged up on me while deer hunting in very cold weather.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Banned

probably hands down better then the blister pack tascos from the 80s

Boolit Buddy

Thanks, they have one less now, should do fine on a Rem 552.

Well, it worked right up till it didn't!
    The scope from my original post ended up on my 6.8SPC AR15. It has served well but this morning I fired a 3 shot group with a new cast load. A great group, I shifted to another aim point on the target, pulled the trigger- and the crosshairs " disc" came loose inside.
    Sort of a "leaning X"- going on in there!
    I guess that the Oriental Weaver isn't up to all the back and forth commotion of an AR15? My old steel El Paso K4 will!
    Anyway, $15 a year wasn't bad. I'm glad that it didn't break opening weekend, though!
    Now, the scope tests continue with an older Bushnell Sportview 3x9 from the scope locker. It's held up to a 7mm Magnum since the 1980s- we'll see what the "Baby 270" does to it.

Last edited by Texas by God; 11-28-2022 at 09:57 PM.

Weirdly, I'm sending it to Bushnell in Kansas to fix or replace- this ain't over yet.

Boolit Master
    Years ago I had a similar reticle failure with a cheapo Basrka scope I had on a 22 rimfire rifle. I had the electronic receipt for it in my email, and there was a warranty. I contacted them and they sent me a mail-in code to return the damaged scope. With nothing to loose except a cardboard box, I sent the scope back for repairs. I'm willing to bet that the moment they received that scope they tossed it straight into the trash, and just sent me a new scope instead. The "new" cheapo scope has worked perfectly for years now.

I've had very good luck with my Simmon's. Half of which I found at a pawn shop for about 1/3 the normal selling price. All new in box, all have stood up for 3-4 years now.

Not bad for a 20 to 60$ scope.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Grand Master
    On rifles that I depend on for hunting big game or for self defense I use higher end optics.

For plinking, and punching paper, having a scope fail is not too important. The cheaper scopes offer good value IMO. By cheap, I mean up to $150

For pests, I go with a mid range priced optic.

I doubt I would ever buy a scope under $75 at current prices.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Yesterday, while showing it to my brother, we discovered that the caps would move the adjustments if tightened snug- whoops.

If you put an o-ring under the cap would it still move the adjustments when tightened?
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post

If you put an o-ring under the cap would it still move the adjustments when tightened?
    No, the o-rings(on the base of the male threads) kept the cap from touching the W&E dials. I kept the caps when I sent the scope in- for the next stray scope....

Last edited by Texas by God; 12-02-2022 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post
    Years ago I had a similar reticle failure with a cheapo Basrka scope I had on a 22 rimfire rifle. I had the electronic receipt for it in my email, and there was a warranty. I contacted them and they sent me a mail-in code to return the damaged scope. With nothing to loose except a cardboard box, I sent the scope back for repairs. I'm willing to bet that the moment they received that scope they tossed it straight into the trash, and just sent me a new scope instead. The "new" cheapo scope has worked perfectly for years now.
    i bought 2 of the Barska 4X 1".22 scopes about 12 years ago for $12.99 from Sportsmans Guide - both used at least weekly since then with zero problems - would buy one again at twice the price -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I’ve had good luck with the tascos I bought recently. I bought four of the varminter 2 1/2 by tens with mil dot. I have one on my nitro piston air rifle with over 3000 shots and it still hasn’t lost zero and going strong! I paid 24.90 shipped for them and a blowout two years ago. I also have a couple of their sportsman that are doing really good too. I have a 6 x 24 that’s clear all the way to 24 power. I have it mounted on an H&R 223 heavy barrel. I also have a couple of the 4 1/2 x 12 sportsman. Basically got them given to me by Tasco and haven’t done much other than site them in on my 22s. They are crisp and clear and seem to work good. I can pick them up at my local farm and fleet pretty cheap too instead of having to order one online. I just have too many guns that I don’t plan on hunting with and stick tascos on them for fun planking and small game. I’m not gonna lose any sleep if they lose zero or break all squirrel hunting or shooting at targets which is all I use them for. I did mount one of the 2 1/2 by 10’s on my 35 Remington. It was pretty awesome I almost left it on there and switched out to a 2 x 7 leupold. It’s the scope that’s not on my air rifle and still going strong. I think if you get a bad one they’re bad right off the bat it seems like lately. I did have a couple of them with pieces of dirt inside the glass and stuck to the crosshairs right out of the box but they still kept their zero. Eventually sent them in to get replaced with clean looking scopes on the inside and crosshairs. I had a 4X that my dad bought me brand new back in 1984. Pay $29 for it it was the most he could budget for at the time. That scope took many deer before I hit my head on the bell around 89 or 90’. I had my first full-time job then and bough a leupold vx11 3 x 9 for it. That darn Optic would lose zero every other year until I finally got it replaced last year. Leupold told me there was nothing wrong with it the first time I sent it in a few years ago. I got it back sighted it in again and it lost zero the next day by 6 inches. I raised holy heck with them and they replaced it… with three defective optics in a row. Two had wires hanging from the crosshairs and dirt inside. The third one would not adjust. The one they finally replaced it with the 4th time is doing great accept for the finish has chipped off from just pulling it out of the cloth case this past season.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-04-2023 at 12:58 AM.

I got an email yesterday to the effect that they will replace it. I’ll soon find out what they will replace it with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worth $30? Time will tell...

And they did replace it no charge!
    It went as a Weaver, came back as a Bushnell Banner 3x9
    I’ve had one Bushnell break(strangely the same way that the Weaver did) a few years back, and they replaced it with a more expensive model- which is still working on my sons AR15.
    So- I’m happy so far.
    I kind of wonder if all of the scopes under the Vista group control are made at the same Chinese optics plant- then labeled differently?

I have a couple of Bushnell Banners and they are on rifles with a good amount of recoil. So far they have been good ? I do not own a AR so whether they will hold up to the different type of recoil they have time will tell. At least they did give you a replacement scope, for $ 30 that’s not bad !

Jedman

I’ve decided to field test it on my 30-06. It responded perfectly to the one shot zero method at 40 yards. Very Clear and I didn’t touch the fast focus ring. I’ll run several full power rounds through it next time I feel like getting kicked around.

Slamted crosshairs? You must have gotten the Oriental model.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...