Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Armed with a model 10

A little over 40 years back is when I began my handgun shooting and reloading. Like many others, I'd always had a handgun around in some shape, form or fashion. I was already a huge fan of Skeeter Skelton, Bill Jordan and a couple of others. Then I discovered Ed McGivern. I began reloading and shooting as much as I could. In short, a Smith & Wesson revolver is what I cut my teeth on when it comes to handgun work. Later in life, I took to the 1911 and learned it inside out. I would feel comfortable with either for a defensive situation if it were to arise. Which is hopefully never.

Back about 15-16 years ago, I was introduced to IDPA shooting. They held matches in a town about 60 miles away once a month on Sundays. I figured to give it a try. After I had a few matches under my belt I decided (and hoped) I would like to shoot both in the same match. The host club and range officials had no problem with it. So, between stages I'd swap gear and have a second go at the course. I kept records of all those matches for a year. Some matches, I came out ahead shooting a K frame Model 19, other times it was with my 1911. Finally, I had a year of matches I'd kept records of. I sat down and did the math. I was a little surprised, then again I wasn't for some odd reason. The numbers showed I was slightly faster and more accurate with my revolver than my 1911.

That being said. Give me a good ole' Model 10 & 3 molds. A lightweight 125 grain for critter control and other light chores, something in the 150-160 grain for all around shooting. And lastly, a Keith mold in 172 grains. Those 3 molds, some Bullseye and Unique powder and I'd feel just fine with it. I also have to agree with Texas By God. A Model 10 spirited away in every room is as good a plan as any. Right up until I get to my Benelli Super 90 with a 2 shot extension.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Overalls87 View Post
    Would you feel safe protecting your family with this gun? I actually have multiples of smith and wesson k frames in 38 special. Its my favorite caliber to not only shoot but reload. Both stainless and blued. Mind you I have 9mm and a 1911. But don't reload for either. Only reload for 38 special. Would you choose this gun for your home defense, camping, woods bumming, gun if you were in my situation?
    Would you feel safe protecting your family with this gun? - YES !

Would you choose this gun for your home defense, camping, woods bumming, gun if you were in my situation? - YES !

The 38 Special is a fine cartridge and the S&W Model 10 is an iconic revolver. If you are comfortable and competent with that combination then it's a no-brainer.

Banned
    I'm always amused by people that reference a 38 Special by saying things like: "it's only a 38 Special" or "It's just a 38 Special"
    From the way some folks characterize the 38 Special, one might falsely believe that a sheet of typing paper would stop the average 38 Special bullet.

If there is any legitimate criticism against the 38 Special, it would be that the lead round nose or jacketed round nose bullets could sometimes fail to stop an attacker. (although given good shot placement, even those rounds could be very effective).
    A lead bullet with a blunt nose, such as a WC or SWC; is a game changer.
    A good hollow point design will also get the job done.

The old "FBI Load" [a 158 grain, lead semi wadcutter hollow point, driven to +P velocities] has a VERY long track record of excellent street performance.

There are nearly limitless accounts of the 38 Special, in many different configurations, getting the job done in serious social situations. One event that comes to mind was told to me by a former Columbia, South Carolina police officer. A well known thug threatened a police officer with a handgun. The officer was not amused and placed one well aimed shot, center mass. The bad guy dropped immediately, DRT [Dead Right There]. End of problem.
    Turns out the officer's gun wasn't loaded with the regular duty ammo that day but rather their normal training ammo. That round was a standard pressure, 38 Special reload, with a 158 gr. LSWC.
    One well placed, plain lead semi-wadcutter, travelling at somewhere between 750-800 fps; stopped that threat. DONE.

Boolit Master

Somewhere between the Red and the Rio Grande
    I think you are in great shape. .38 special is a very accurate and reliable round. It served law enforcement for many many years . As long as you are proficient with your revolver, I say no worries.
    Keep your powder dry and watch your six !!

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I once had a chat with an old copper whose career soanned from the 60's through the 90's. His department had issued everything from the Colt Police Positive Special to the Glock 17. Working just outside of Chicago, he had seen bunches of fatal and nonfatal gunshot wounds in his time, and sat in on many autopsies. He said the .38 +P lead hollowppint was the most effective handgun round he ever saw. "One per customer is all you need!" he quipped.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    When I wore a badge I knew several coroners. Those who carried, carried a 38 S&W Special based on what they saw on the autopsy table. One exception carried a 1911.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Not my first choice but it’s certainly an excellent choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

If I were expecting trouble I would want a rifle or shotgun. That said, I often have about my person a 38 with wadcutters or a 357 with golden sabers, which are basically 38 +p+.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.