Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Weekly trip to the gun shop.

Boolit Master

Weekly trip to the gun shop.

I go to the local gun shop/hardware/clothing store once a week and do the quick 1-minute walk around the powder section, ammo section, bullet section, then glance where the primers used to be.

Been nothing there for a while now. Today, I got a text from my girlfriend saying a coworker had just been there and said they actually had ammo. What kind? No idea.

So I make the 15 mile drive into town and discover a bunch of other gun guys heading in as well. Uh oh. Make it to the back of the store where the ammo is and everyone is wandering around like zombies, with no ammo left.

But, there was ONE can of powder. It was some odd rifle powder I hadn't heard of. Left it. No primers, of course. Glanced at the bullet section and couldn't believe my eyes; there were actually multiple boxes of Hornady XTPs in .401. In both 180gr and 155gr.

I haven't seen those since March! So I got two boxes of the 180's and one box of the 155s and am very happy. I was getting really low on XTPs, and am still low with another 300, but feel much better.

Attachment 274142

I noticed a Henry lever-action Big Boy X in .45 Colt on the rack for $799, which is a good price. I ask what their lay-a-way policy is, since I have a Marlin 1894 in .45 Colt that needs to go in order to finance the Henry.

They don't do lay-a-way anymore. Said the Covid thing made it obsolete. Really? People are falling over themselves to buy lever guns? Seems I saw the same lever guns on the shelf that I've been seeing for over 6 months.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    I’d step over a pile of Henry’s to get a Marlin. That is, unless it was one of the early Remlins.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by LUBEDUDE View Post
    I’d step over a pile of Henry’s to get a Marlin. That is, unless it was one of the early Remlins.
    Have to agree. I bought a Henry and really tried to like it but give me a JM Marlin anyday.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    Have to agree. I bought a Henry and really tried to like it but give me a JM Marlin anyday.
    My JM 1894 was an excellent firearm in every way. My 2017 Remlin is inferior in every way. Paid $400 for the JM and sold it for $1000. Paid $650 for the Remlin and will be lucky to get $500 for it, and only after I fixed a bunch of stuff and got it to run right.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Grand Master

Were the price on those XTP's jacked up? I was online looking yesterday and did find some but the price was rediculous. Found some powder and bought 4lbs of Blue for the 10mm. One place had it and 410 plus a couple of others on closeout for some reason. Never used Accurate powders so left them alone.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    I haven't even looked at jacketed handgun caliber bullets since I began casting. With my annual prairie dog shooting I still need a supply of jacketed, I should be good for 5 years or more, if I don't buy more. My father just bought a Ruger 57, so I guess I might snoop around for some 40 gr Vmax and a powder for that little bugger. Could maybe use a pound or 2 of shotgun powder but not too worried. Good that new loaders are finding components again.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Were the price on those XTP's jacked up? I was online looking yesterday and did find some but the price was rediculous. Found some powder and bought 4lbs of Blue for the 10mm. One place had it and 410 plus a couple of others on closeout for some reason. Never used Accurate powders so left them alone.
    Price was $23.99 per box of 100. Used to buy them at Walmart for $20.99 a box and the LGS had them at $22.99 a box. So only up $1.

The prices that leverguns are going for on gunbroker are ridiculous. Somebody is buying them up.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    The prices that leverguns are going for on gunbroker are ridiculous. Somebody is buying them up.
    They could be the next “assault” rifle if AR’s are restricted. I have three in .38/.357 and three in .30/30. A .30/30 would not too shabby as a battle rifle. It was the only reason for keeping the .30/30’s as I have no other use for them.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Price was $23.99 per box of 100. Used to buy them at Walmart for $20.99 a box and the LGS had them at $22.99 a box. So only up $1.
    Wow. I had an email from DSA this morning about 5.56 Match (loaded with 69grain SMK) for $23.99 per 20 round box.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post

"Next Best Thing" syndrome. When all the Tacticool rifles and shotguns are bought up/backordered/overpriced, people start respecting those dinosaur lever guns again.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.