RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load DataInline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Nevada Cast Boolit Shoot - MAY 29-30-31, 2009

Boolit Grand Master
    Mike--

Easy to find, and you'll have a lotta folks to follow out there.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master
    on the road again.......
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Urny View Post
    LINDA and I will again be providing lunch on Saturday. There will be a seven layer salad, a couple of types of bread, and probably a spiral sliced ham. Everyone is invited, and leftovers, if any, will feed us Sunday.

Unfortunately, we will not be there until Saturday morning, have to make a living, and will miss Rools and Friday lunch. I'll try to go through this thread and come up with some sort of count. See you all there.
    Urny,
    Be sure to include my wife and I in your count. We are dragging our 5th wheel down there, and will be parked at the Winnemucca RV Park.
    We are really looking forward to seeing everyone there!!

Take care!

Don

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Boolit Buddy
    I'm glad to hear you and your wife will be there, Don. You are included in the count. I've got a little bar of alloy for you in exchange for those lovely hollow point boolits you made for me.

If everyone manages to make it to the shoot we'll have a pretty big bunch this year. NCBS just keeps getting better, pretty much all to Bruce and Karen's credit.
    Urny
    Elko County, the old heart of Nevada

Banned

I should just jump in the truck and head on down there, but alas I'm working from sun up to sun down to get our members check dies done. Well there's next year. This was the year I was supposed to be there for sure ..

Have a good time! ...

Looking forward to seeing everyone at the tenth NCBS gathering tomorrow.

The final High School Graduation ceremony tonight, up the road in Elko, will prevent me from attending the Rools Kommittee dinner tonight. Plan is to be back in time to get a bit of shooting in Saturday and Sunday.

Will bring some of the 7s&8s milsurps out.

The new job in Mexico has put quite the damper on reloading time... and has lead to insufficient range time, lead ammo shortages, and elevated stress levels!

Despite the lead ammo shortages, will see everyone tomorrow!

On Heaven's Range

Thumbs up All over with for another year......

Yep, the TENTH Annual Nevada Cast Bullet Shoot now recedes into the past of fond memory.

We had a blast, no pun intended. The weather co-operated beautifully, with NO rain and moderate (for Nevada, anyway) breezes. There were thunderstorms in the area on both shooting days, but they gave us no trouble. Saturday was hotter than Sunday, but both were very tolerable.

Doing various NCBS errands around town on Friday morning, I met a number of our people who'd arrived early and also were checking out the town, hardware stores, etc. The 1 p.m. lunch at The Griddle was attended by a whole bunch of people, and much hilarity and comparing-of-notes ensued.

After lunch, we picked-up 16 tables and a couple dozen chairs, kindly loaned to us by Browns' Tru-Valu Hardware (just as they have done for every NCBS here in Winnemucca). Their out-of-pocket losses on these rentals are on the order of $80/day, so it's a handsome donation. Another short stop at Good Morning Furniture yielded ample amounts of large cardboard sheets for use as target boards.

Virtually everyone who was at lunch then proceeded to the range for a first glimpse of the new facility, and I think all were impressed and happy to have such a fine site at our disposal. There will be photos coming so y'all can see the shooting area. Our new permanent toilet facility made it into service just in time. It may be a humble purpose, but it surely is nice to have a truly proper place.

On Friday evening, Las Margaritas staged their usual fine spread of vittles from a WIDE range of menu selections, and the Rools Kommittee completed the due deliberations without any blood being spilled on the floor. It was particularly pleasant to welcome a number of new participants to the NCBS , and as usual, they meshed immediately into the group and were soon swapping recipes and "stories" with the best of them.

I got to the range at around 0730 Saturday morning, only to be greeted with "Good Afternoon", from Mike in CO.....I think he got there about midnight, just to be SURE of being first. Actually, he did say that his alarm went off at 0600, as planned, but he was in fact already at the range when the clock decided to wake up.

After a couple hours of prep work setting up backers, gongs, tables, gazebos etc etc etc, Ammohead fired the official opening shot for the weekend. He used "Big Medicine", having adopted TR's name for the similar rifle, which is the M1895 Winchester in .405. It made an impressive "BOOOM!" and got us off to a good start. He received this prestigious honor because his was the stroke of genius that brought about the very first Nevada Shoot back in Year 2000.

NOTICE: NVCurmudgeon will be posting actual results when he gets home in an hour or two.

The entire day was well-occupied in shooting steel and paper, as indeed was Sunday. We had four, five-PERSON teams for Team Handgun. This involved shooting against the clock to see which team could cut-off an 8"wide OSB plank in the shortest time......would you believe over TEN minutes??? Would you also believe handguns so hot they were burning the hands trying to feed them??? True, brethren, all true.... I loaned a .44 Smiff to one of our newer fellers, and he gave me back SIXTEEN rounds, all that were left from the 160 rounds he began with. Now, that's one way to gain experience (and maybe a flinch) in a hurry.

Saturday evening the whole crew came to dinner at the B residence, despite the state of upheaval created by re-tiling the whole danged place. Seemed like a good time was had by all.

Sunday we fired the Long Range Rifle (415 yards) early in the day to minimize wind effects as much as possible. Rules allowed for iron sights only, any shooting position except prone, and most opted for sitting position. The target was a hanging steel plate, 14" wide X 16" high.

We closed the Shoot late Sunday afternoon with the Team Rifle match, wherein five-person squads fired at thirty clay targets per squad from fifty yards, off-hand. Winning was determined by either breaking all targets before five minutes elapsed, or by having fewer remaining targets at the end of the five-minute firing period.

The Sunday closing dinner, as per tradition of nine years' standing, was held at Ormachea's Dinner House, who yet again put on a feed to satisfy ANYONE, no matter how much hunger might be involved. A very pleasant evening, and we all regretted the absence of the many shooters who had to leave before dinner. I MUST point out that NVCurmudgeon has for many years now, built and PAID FOR the trophies presented at these Shoots. These are the "Order of the Golden Wheelweight", with a gold wheelweight and suitably-engraved plate mounted on a hardwood plaque. He assures me that these are special wheelweights, carefully selected by himself and surgically removed with sterile instruments only from Lincolns, Caddies and Rolls automobiles in the Nordstrom's parking lots.

With bated breath, this Board awaits the offishul results from Brudda Curmudgeon.
    Last edited by BruceB; 06-01-2009 at 04:44 PM.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek

Match Results, Hot off the Internet

The match results were as follows:

Iron sight rifle 50 yd. group-CobbMtnMac with a tiny 1.060" group. Not sure, but probably with a Model 54 Winchester and Redfield receiver sight. A classic rifle and a classic gentleman.

Iron sight rifle 50 yd. score-Buckshot with a score of 48-2X. This was red hot competition, with a runner up posting a 48-1x. Very fitting because Buckshot is always a strong advocate of "offhand shooting on your hind legs as God intended."

Scoped rifle 100yd. group-NVcurmudgeon 1.19" group. Especially gratifying because my .35 Whelen Ruger/Lilja rifle has been a frequent winner, but mostly in others' hands. This time "Jezebel" gave me the nod.

Scoped rifle 100 yd. score-Darren with a score of 42-0X. Mac's son Darren was a brand new cast shooter last year and a winner this year.

Handgun 25 yard score-Buckshot 45-0X. To think he used to call them "steenking peestols."

Handgun 25 yd. group-ammohead, with a 2 15/15" group. (That's smaller than the 10 ring.)

400 yd. rifle, sitting, kneeling, or offhand allowed. BruceB, opting to sit, went "clean" with five hits from a Springfield M1-A. Remarkable, considering that the closest runner up had three hits, and there was a pack of shooters with one or two. The target? Steel gong, 14" X 16."

Team rifle shoot was shooting suspended clays at 50 yd. Two of four teams tied and in a "sudden death" shoot off, the team of ammohead, Darren, Joe, Levi, and Urny won 3-2.

The team pistol match was a stake cutting event won by the team that your humble correspondent was NOT a member of. The clouds of Javelina Alox in the air prevented getting the names of the winners. Perhaps official photographer Mac can "clear the air."

An interesting military bolt rifle match was designed by Mike in Colorado. Ten shots for score and ten shots for group. Mike took score honors win 85-0X, and 9.3X62AL had the smallest group at 4.75". Al also gets high style points for shooting a G98/40 rifle.

Other impressions of the weekend will have to wait, I'm dawg tarred from three days of too much fun.
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Boolit Master
    THE BOTTOM LINE

we had fun !
    thanks
    mike in co
    only accurate rifles are interesting

Boolit Man
    Just wanted to say thanks to everybody for a great weekend. Levi is already jumpin at the bit to do some casting. I think we may have a new member. It was a very memorable experience and good to find people as crazy as I am. Thanks again, Joe
    You always think you have enough Boolets, until the Zombies come.

Boolit Buddy
    LINDA and I had a great time visiting, eating, and even shooting. Importantly, I think we have instilled interest and enthusiasm in young folks and the ladies. What more could one ask of a single weekend. Thanks to everyone who came to the shoot, and especially to Bruce and Karen for their wonderful hospitality and all the work they put in to making NCBS 2009 such a success.
    Urny
    Elko County, the old heart of Nevada

Boolit Grand Master
    Yessir, MANY THANKS to Bruce & Karen for all they do to make NCBS just like the Tournament of Roses Parade--looked forward to all year, enjoyed immensely during its passage, with anticipation and planning for its next ideation that commences the day following and continues until the next meeting. An added THANK YOU to Urny & Linda for the excellent range lunch served both range days, that ham was scrumptious. Something about NCBS prompts me to over-eat something fierce. All that good food in all that good company........well, what can ya do?

Hopefully, all the eyesight maintenence & upkeep will be finished so that I can do justice to at least 1 or 2 of the shooting contests that I normally try. Getting old gets old at times. I thoroughly enjoyed Mike in Co's intro to the Military Bolt Rifle venue imported from his local club, and it was good seeing him again after a few years' hiatus.

That little bar/restaurant the 7s&8s showed to Buckshot and I was a great little establishment, and next time Marie and I come through town that might not be a bad place to hoist a beverage or two and maybe get dinner with the Winnemucca Division of the NCBS Poured Projectile League. She is ALL ABOUT hitting the road about 15 minutes after they nail the doors shut on her office for the summer. NV, UT, ID, and MT are on the agenda--at minimum. Have boat--will travel.

A fine time yet again!
    Last edited by 9.3X62AL; 06-02-2009 at 08:14 PM.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

First many many thanks to all:

To BruceB and Karen for their time and effort putting the shoot together, they are truely extraordinary! Karen you put on a feast that rivals "BON APPETIT"!

To URNY and Linda for the wonderful wonderful lunches. An additional thank you Linda for the salad you prepared to fit my dietary needs!

OK, here's the PISTOL TEAM: NVcurmugeon, Jaremy, BruceB, Levi & oso!

Given some time, all event winners will receive a framed picture of their event with your name included. This will include the Pistol and Rifle teams, and also the Military Match winners.

I also want to say for me this weekend will always be remembered as one of my lifes highlight!

Thank you all,
    Have a TON of FUN, Mac ....................Born to ENABLE ................ "BEATING GRAVITY EVERYDAY"

In Remembrance

Pleasant Valley, NV, 400 yd. N of Galena Creek
    Thanks, Mac, for reminding me who was on the winning team in the pistol shoot. Guess I breathed a little too much Alox. With the stakes at the longer distance of 25 yd. it took a lot of sawing to get one down. Jaremy and I had 100 rounds reserved for this event. Jaremy used 95 and I used 96. Most shooters used revolvers and needed the best part of 100 rounds to get through the event. Levi was using a borrowed revolver and ammunition. I heard tell that Levi returned 16 rounds of the three boxes he had been given! Must have been one of those new belt-fed S&W models. Borrowing is a way of life at the NCBS. For years I have seen rifles and pistols, ammunition, tools, and cleaning and range equipment freely loaned to other shooters. Most people seem to encourage, nay demand, others to try their favorites. When somebody wins with a borrowed gun, there is never any whining, just a little bragging from the owner of the winning equipment. As many have said of this gathering, socializing comes first, then good food, trying out exotic firearms owned by others, and finally competition. There are so many who are responsible for the success of this operation. The B family without whom this party could not get off the ground (they must be great catherders), Karen, Urny, and Linda for keeping us so well fed, Humboldt County for providing a magnificent new range and turning a blind eye to our near-monopolizing of it, Brown's True Value Hardware for nine years of donating their rental tables and chairs, and my fellow shooters who all helped with setting up and taking down this traveling circus over two and a half days. We missed returning the tables and chairs to Brown's by 15 minutes Sunday evening, so had to return them early Monday morning. Nobody seemed to mind, as most of us were on hand to help. Then some 15+/- of us had a farewell breakfast at the Red Lion Inn. It reminded me of a holiday dinner in the home of a very functional family, with an attached swap meet as moulds, metal, components, and cast boolits, or promises therof, were exchanged. It it time to start casting for NCBS 2010 yet?
    Eagles have talons, buzzards don't. The Second Amendment empowers us to be eagles. curmudgeon

Moderator Emeritus

Thanks to all involved for a wonderful time. Great range and great people. Gianni
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    My wife and I had a wonderful time at this years NCBS - our first, but God willing, not our last!!
    Thanks to all of the people who made this such a success. It was well organized, well planned, and well... a lot of FUN!!
    Also, thanks to all of the folks in attendance. You ALL proved that there is not a nicer bunch anywhere.

Although I was not the "official" photographer, I did take a few pictures. I have put them in my photobucket account, and you can see them here - http://s100.photobucket.com/albums/m9/obssd1958/NCBS/
    I will try to get captions up on the pictures over the next week or so.

We are already looking forward to next years gathering!!!!!!!

Don

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Boolit Master
    We wanna see the pics............................
    Col 2:13-17

In Remembrance
    Jackson County, Choctaw Nation, Indian Territory
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon K View Post
    We wanna see the pics............................

Ditto
    Those who fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity”. Sigmund
    Freud

Moderator Emeritus

Go to page two of Don's link. That green box is an as new milk crate with the "Panama Canal Company" stamped on it. One of the highlights was seeing that bit of history. Myself, Nephew Levi and Moldy Joe are shooting left to right in the background.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    Most excellent event! Just wish I could drive at night - definitely need Mrs. Oso to participate next year (and help with the driving!) So sorry now that we haven't been to NCBS before. Thanks so much to everyone.
    Just because change doesn't make a difference doesn't mean that change is bad.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast