MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Repackbox
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My Indian Musket

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thundermaker View Post
    Ok, then start a thread about that, because that little tidbit is useless here. If you have actual relevant information as to why you don't trust these guns, that is welcome. Otherwise, your statement amounts to, "I don't want nuthin' them thar brown people make." At least you didn't waste as much text as Rfd to say it.
    Okay, I had an India gun come in. Checked it out, found it only had 1/4" of thread on the breech plug. Returned it tagged, "Unsafe to shoot".
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Okay, I had an India gun come in. Checked it out, found it only had 1/4" of thread on the breech plug. Returned it tagged, "Unsafe to shoot".
    Okay. Even though that still isn't the purpose of this thread, can you give a little more information? When was it? Who sold it? What model was it?

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Okay. Even though that still isn't the purpose of this thread, can you give a little more information? When was it? Who sold it? What model was it?
    Middlesex, about ten years ago. Double barrel flintlock shotgun. A friend had bought one that was pretty good, so another was ordered, and what arrived was far below standards of the first.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Middlesex, about ten years ago. Double barrel flintlock shotgun. A friend had bought one that was pretty good, so another was ordered, and what arrived was far below standards of the first.
    Did they send you a new one that was good, or did you just get a refund?

Did they send you a new one that was good, or did you just get a refund?
    I got a refund.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sixgun Symphony View Post
    Your point about "brown people" was the presumption here. Again, Japan is a first world nation and they are East Asian, not White folks.

You really should travel to see what working conditions are like in much of the third world.

Your presumptions here are PC and it is you that need to stop cluttering up this discussion.
    You might want to check out who started this thread.

I love this thread.

Boolit Master
    it is like beating a dead horse. doesn't it get old by now?? same thing INDIAN MUSKETS are no good! I think we get it by now!!

Indian made guns are hardly comparable to Corvettes.

Boolit Master
    what is a CORVETTE ? that must be a new non INDIAN GUN?

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

I've deleted some of these posts, for the reason given.
    Any further posts of this nature will only end up closing this thread and possible infractions being issued.

Red River Rick
    CB Moderator
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Boolit Buddy
    In the interest of documentation, here's a video by someone who has done a lot more shooting than me with these guns. His experiences largely reflect my own, although he seems to have had better luck with the locks on his.

Boolit Buddy
    Just a quick weigh in on the India stuff, I have had several locks come across my bench in times past, here is what I saw, quality can be all over the place from really well fitted to absolutely unusable. Barrels all looked good when I had one to look at. The last lock I looked at was from a new Baker rifle and it was so sloppy as to be non functional. My only real advise here is to really look the piece over and determine if you need to send it back. I believe the locks are hand made and getting exact replacement parts may be very difficult. Other then that I figure if can be safely shot why not enjoy it? Really impressed with the OP s efforts to make his shoot.

Boolit Buddy
    I will admit, it took a bit of effort to get it running. It took considerably more effort to get it running well. If I get another Indian gun, I'll get it from veterans arms here in GA. It costs a bit more, but they do all the work for you, and you get a warranty. You'll still come out about $1000 less than a pedersoli.

I love shooting the old Flints and cap rifles. I build a few cap plains rifles and I still have the last one I build back in the 80's and it's still not finished I need to brown the barrel yet.. I was hoping it would brown its self.
    Here is one Steve Losey build I saw sitting in a rack and it followed me home. It is a copy of a Southern Mountain that was used for the fur trades.
    I wanted a rifle that looked like it was made in the back room shop with hand forged iron furniture, just like you would find for a 18/19 century working rifle. This rifle has a 44" 54cal rice barrel with Chambers ketland lock with the lock plate reworked a little. The mating of the iron are joined with riveted coper wire. It has everything I looked for in my working rifle. And it gets used
    When I took the rifle out to set the sights for 50 yards for deer season I put up a X target and took the first shot on the right side to get as close to the inside of the X and not cut the line. I shot with the barrel resting on cross sticks sitting on a stool. The sights did not need moving with the round ball and load of 2F OE powder. The rifle shoots!! and ignition is very fast. The vent cuts center with the top of the pan and is centered.
    The wind was up some that morning but the rifle put 5 balls one inch outside to out side of the group measurement.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2337.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	308773
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2654.jpg   IMG_1856.jpg   IMG_2302.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    I love shooting the old Flints and cap rifles. I build a few cap plains rifles and I still have the last one I build back in the 80's and it's still not finished I need to brown the barrel yet.. I was hoping it would brown its self.
    Here is one Steve Losey build I saw sitting in a rack and it followed me home. It is a copy of a Southern Mountain that was used for the fur trades.
    I wanted a rifle that looked like it was made in the back room shop with hand forged iron furniture, just like you would find for a 18/19 century working rifle. This rifle has a 44" 54cal rice barrel with Chambers ketland lock with the lock plate reworked a little. The mating of the iron are joined with riveted coper wire. It has everything I looked for in my working rifle. And it gets used
    When I took the rifle out to set the sights for 50 yards for deer season I put up a X target and took the first shot on the right side to get as close to the inside of the X and not cut the line. I shot with the barrel resting on cross sticks sitting on a stool. The sights did not need moving with the round ball and load of 2F OE powder. The rifle shoots!! and ignition is very fast. The vent cuts center with the top of the pan and is centered.
    The wind was up some that morning but the rifle put 5 balls one inch outside to out side of the group measurement.

Name:	IMG_2337.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	308773
    hmmmm that is kind of like a silk purse pretending to be a sows ear - rice barrel and chambers lock no wonder you called it home.

that said them old eyes still workin ok to shoot that group -- well done on all points.

Joe,
    I love that rifle. It carry's and holds well with the swamped barrel. Those 6 shots were fired 9 years ago when I could still see pretty good.now knocking on the door of 84 it's tough holding center.
    It rests in a place of honor.

Name:	IMG_1152.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	308796

Boolit Buddy
    I'm seriously considering a baker kit from the rifle shoppe.

Love the Kibler kits, built a .54 Colonial 4 years ago. Just ordered two more kits, SMR in .45 arriving in a month, and a Woodsrunner in .54 arriving in five months

The Colonial ...

The .45-70 is the only government I trust.

Boolit Master
    That is one nice looking rifle.
    I can't wait till Kibler decides to start making Hawken Style rifle kits.
    Not because they are better.
    But Hawkens are just my preference.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast