Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My Indian Musket

Boolit Master
    Roger that!!

Quote Originally Posted by Thundermaker View Post
    I'm sure pedersoli does make the best repros. I would hope so, since they cost about $1000 more. This thread is not a comparison of Italian vs. Indian muskets. That horse has been beaten to death and beaten some more. Its sun-bleached bones are still being pulverized as we speak. The purpose of this thread is to document my experiences with my Indian musket with actual data.
    And that's what I'm waiting and wanting to see. The others who want to discuss the safety of firearms, proof loads, etc. need to start another thread.

Boolit Man

Example:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q42lZqH-60
    Please accept my apology for causing you consternation. Have a Happy New Year.
    Link to leave feedback for me.

Will Rogers 1879 - 1935:
    The problem ain't what people know. It's what people know that ain't so that's the problem.
    Everybody is ignorant. Only on different subjects.
    There are three kinds of men. The ones that learn by readin’. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Generally these India guns can pass proof testing in CIP countries.

How deep is the groove in the breech plug?
    Is the breech plug longer than the one shown on the Veteran Arms proof page? --->>> http://www.veteranarms.com/Reproduct.../Proofing.html

I noticed that Loyalist Arms sells the same gun at a higher price, but it appears to come finished and ready to shoot.
    The page also says that it's shipped with loading and proofing data and an excellent warranty. --->>> https://www.loyalistarms.ca/1801to05...trymusket.html

That should make it more appealing to some folks who don't want to work on a new gun in order to shoot it.
    Last edited by arcticap; 12-30-2020 at 01:49 PM.

I'd take the breech plug out of it and have a looky. I have seen some that are poorly threaded and sometimes even cross threaded. Also, why is a gun with rifling a "weapon" and one with out not?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by arcticap View Post
    How deep is the groove in the breech plug?
    Is the breech plug longer than the one shown on the Veteran Arms proof page? --->>> http://www.veteranarms.com/Reproduct.../Proofing.html

I noticed that Loyalist Arms sells the same gun at a higher price, but it appears to come finished and ready to shoot.
    The page also says that it's shipped with loading and proofing data and an excellent warranty. --->>> https://www.loyalistarms.ca/1801to05...trymusket.html
    All I can tell you is that the breechplug extends to the front edge of the pan. I'll measure it and see how long that is. The groove seems to extend from the end of the plug to the back of the pan, which is about 3/8". It is cut at an angle, so it is not the same depth across the whole face of the plug.

Other companies, such as veteran, loyalist, and Middlesex village trading import the guns and drill the holes themselves. Loyalist may still proof them. The rest say that they no longer bother because they always pass, and it's an unnecessary expense. They will still do it for a fee.

In any case, I'm going to test this one with 200gr of powder and 3oz of shot. We'll see how it goes.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by freakonaleash View Post
    Also, why is a gun with rifling a "weapon" and one with out not?
    The smoothbore isn't a weapon without a touch hole. If you drilled it, it would be. The rifled one is a weapon even without the hole. You'll have to ask the Indian government why that is.
    Last edited by Thundermaker; 12-30-2020 at 11:28 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Just took a measurement. The threaded portion of the breechplug is about 3/4" long.

Boolit Buddy
    The proof test is done. I have updated the original post with the information.

Boolit Master

I am surprised that 3 ounces of shot didn't blow it up!

Boolit Buddy
    I’m going to order some pistols from Military Heritage.

Do NOT order anything from Middlesex Village Trading. I’m still waiting for a gun I ordered that was supposed to be in stock from December of 2019. His are also from India and are likely the same. He purportedly drills the hole in the barrel and test fired them. I won’t know till I get it.

Nice broomstick OP. Log Cabin Store in Lodi Ohio has black powder in stock and is muzzle loading only. Lodi is too far from Georgia of course but others may live closer.

Boolit Buddy
    I can actually order the Graf's brand black powder from them for less than goex at powder Inc. I put 5lbs of 1f on order.

Boolit Buddy
    Last powder order I made was through Midway U.S.A. , ordered Goex 2f , 3f and some O.E. 1 1/2 F, price was no real difference than from Graff. I found Graff brand although made by GOEX now to be dirty as it was when made by Wano.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    I am surprised that 3 ounces of shot didn't blow it up!
    I want to know how it patterned

Boolit Buddy
    My total on 5lbs was $112 and change. They only charge $12.5 hazmat in addition to their $9.99 flat shipping. The downside is that they don't get in a hurry about shipping it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Caswell Ranch View Post
    I want to know how it patterned
    Dang, I forgot to put the pattern board up.

Boolit Buddy
    My total on 5lbs was $112 and change. They only charge $12.5 hazmat in addition to their $9.99 flat shipping. The downside is that they don't get in a hurry about shipping it.
    I see Midway is setting a limit to 2lbs per household at this time, last month the same order was $119.24 (5 lbs of GOEX) to the door. Hazmat $11.99 shipping $12. **, powder $94.95 (18.99lb)
    Last edited by Caswell Ranch; 01-01-2021 at 07:02 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    The smoothbore isn't a weapon without a touch hole. If you drilled it, it would be. The rifled one is a weapon even without the hole. You'll have to ask the Indian government why that is.
    When do gun laws make sense? Look at the USA and it’s Short Barrel Laws. 17.999 inch shotgun is illegal but an 18.000 inch shotgun is legal.

Boolit Master
    as JOHN ARBUCKLE, FAMOUS COFFEE MERCHANT WONCE SAID-- YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!! still true today!!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    as JOHN ARBUCKLE, FAMOUS COFFEE MERCHANT WONCE SAID-- YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!! still true today!!
    Okay. In reference to what?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast