WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: need to make up a 'cows knee' for this weekend.

need to make up a 'cows knee' for this weekend.

We have light rain or snow in the weekends forecast. years ago I made one for my flint smoothbore, works fine on my TC percussion. Need to sew an extra up for my Grandson. It sucks to have a good shot present itself and hear that 'sickening pop' of just your cap going off! Lots of pictures on line. Be a good project for around the campfire Friday afternoon. Can't wait for 'DEER Camp', favorite time of the year! hc18flyer

I take it this is the same as a lock cover. I have seen a couple of patterns on line.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

I just cut a piece of leather, punched a couple of holes, and tied it on with a shoelace knot. Works like a champ. You can also accomplish a lot of good by using grease to make a dam that will channel water away from your pan.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I use a piece of wool blanket, enough to fold over the breech area, plus another 6-8" overlap on barrel and wrist ends, and hang maybe six inches below the gun. No attachment. I carry with the gun cradled, and my arm and hand holds it in place. I tried cows knees over the years, and didn't find them nearly as effective as the wool.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Ugly, but effective. I used to use sandwich bags over my percussion lock T/C.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Master
    Piece of treated canvas duck works well. Thompson's Water Seal is fine for at least one season, then can be reapplied. Mink oil works, too.