Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: 30-30+32 spec. vs. 30 Rem+32 Rem.

Boolit Bub

30-30+32 spec. vs. 30 Rem+32 Rem.

I have read that the Remingtons are rimless versions of the Winchesters and you can use the same dies.
    I have fired some 30 rem sized with 30-30 dies and the shoulder looks a bit different. I do not want to overwork the brass as it is hard to come by. So, is what I read correct?
    Thanks

Boolit Master

I am no expert on that, but I believe it only applies when you are neck sizing. Think Lee Loader.

Boolit Buddy
    The Remington cases are not the same as the Winchester cases, but like Brassmagnet says you should be able to just neck size. The major die makers carry the Remington dies but they generally are special order and more money than the Winchester 30-30 and 32 Special.
    Ballistics wise, they are more or less the same. But you can use pointed bullets in the Remington's if the overall length is within spec.

Boolit Grand Master

I have both a 30/30 and a 30 Remington (1894 and model 14 respectively). When I first loaded the 30 Rem. I used a set of 30/30 dies and can confirm that although the cases are very similar in capacity and performance. The 30/30 dies will size the shoulder down on a 30 Rem. effectively over working the brass if you try to FL size it. You can only size about 1/3rd of the neck before the shoulder comes into contact with the die body but are not able to resize the case itself. Same problem with seating where you will not be able to crimp the bullet or even remove the flare on the case mouth. You are correct that the 30 Rem. brass is expensive and hard to find, so I "bit the bullet" and bought a set of 30 Rem. dies. I placed an ad on this forum and was lucky to have bought a set of dies for about $50.00 WITH about 25 pieces of brass (score!).
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

I was only able to find a .30 Remington neck die- but used with a 30-30 seating die, it worked perfectly to feed a Model 8 Remington auto. As stated above the shoulder is more forward on the Remington.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by sse View Post
    I have read that the Remingtons are rimless versions of the Winchesters and you can use the same dies.
    I have fired some 30 rem sized with 30-30 dies and the shoulder looks a bit different. I do not want to overwork the brass as it is hard to come by. So, is what I read correct?
    Thanks
    What you have read, I believe, is 100% correct re bullets which may be used and powder loading. I have both calibres, and would not even think of using same dies for both. Just me.... It took a while but I did in fact get a set of dies for .30-30 Remington. Worth the wait!!! Re ammo, Quality Cartridge often runs in in batches. I had to order and be on waiting list for a while (Don't recall but it may have been a few months!) to get mine. The Remington version is rimless to enable functioning in semi-auto actions -- e.g., the Models 8, 81, 14, 141, et cetera.
    BEST wishes!
    geo

I shoot the TAC 30 which is made using 30 Herett dies and the 6.8 SPC brass. Then fire form. ARP in Key West did the design, claimed in the data is was basicly a 30 Herrett, rimless, which would be a 30 Remington. I understand that you can make the 30 Remington brass out of 6.8 SPC brass, because the 6.8 is based on the 30 Remington. It would follow that you could use the same brass to make the 32 or 35. I have two 358 MGP AR guns and they are quite effective.
    I would take a look and see if the 6.8 brass will work for you. Just use one maker, the capacities very quite a bit by maker.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Bub
    Thanks guys
    I am going to have to get 30 rem. dies, I have a set of 32 rem dies. I can make do with neck sizing the 30 for now.
    I looked at the 6.8 but it is too short.
    Grafs has 32 rem brass, a little pricey but not insane.

Boolit Grand Master

You CANNOT make 30 Remingtons out of 6.8 SPC. The base size is identical, but the SPC is much shorter. The 30 and 32 Rem. use the same case BUT the 35 Rem is different.

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Graf as often as not has new .32 Remington brass in stock that you can use to make .30 Remington .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Ok they carry 30 Rem to neck up to 32 Rem.
    6.8 is over a half in short .

30 Rem AR is not 30 Rem .

You can turn the rims and cut a new extractor groove in 30-30 or 32 WS .

For description purposes the 25,30,&32 Rem were rimless 30-30/32ws AIs with Weatherby shoulders and about .05 shorter . This allows them to share data in corresponding calibers .

The Lee Whack a mole kit was marked for both .
    Standard FL dies for the Winchesters size the shoulder .
    Proper dies are the best solution.

Dirty secret.
    I had turned a fat expander for a Lee 308 FL . I use it for a 30-30 neck die .

For the price of the custom dies from RCBS/Huntingtons it's worth it to Mickey Mouse enough to get 3 full power fire formed cases and get a match paired die set from CH4D. Last time I checked and was almost ready to pay there was about $10 difference , and that would be worth it in brass life .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Grand Master

You can put together a "Bubba" die set utilizing 30 Herrett dies for neck sizing and seating/crimping with a 375 Winchester sizer to size the case walls. Don't ask me how I know this...

Boolit Master

RCBS had 30 Remington dies in stock the other day on their web sight. Not cheap, but not much else is either.
    https://www.rcbs.com/dies-and-shell-...remington.html
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Grand Master

I just shortened a .308W FL die .165" (picked up out of box of old dies at LGS for $5) to NS both 30-30 and 30 Rem cases.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I just shortened a .308W FL die .165" (picked up out of box of old dies at LGS for $5) to NS both 30-30 and 30 Rem cases.
    +1 I cut down a 30-06 ackley die to about 1.7" and used it to neck size any 30 cal that weren't a magnum.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

I have a 30 Rem neck sizer and new Win 30 Rem brass

gmsharps

Boolit Master

I have a 30 Rem neck sizer and new Win 30 Rem brass. I also have a 30 Newton seater, but I have no idea if that would work for this application.

gmsharps

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    I have a C&H die set for .32 Remington and also bought a Lyman 310 set in a .32 Remington marked box. Everything in the 310 box except the priming die is the same as the dies in my 310 set for .32 Winchester Special.
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!