Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homemade primer compounds

Boolit Grand Master

Homemade primer compounds

Good link for the folks that want to give this a try

http://aardvarkreloading.com/resourc...imercourse.pdf
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Glad there's a new thread on it. I've ordered the primer compound kit from 22lrreloader, and trying to figure out where I can get the various ingredients for the total DIY stuff. Thanks! Finished a butterscotch beer (non-alcoholic) and was headed for the trash can when I realized it was clear glass, and just about perfect for a trial run for powdered glass.

Boolit Bub
    I've been eyeing that pdf for a few months now. I need to finish my black powder project first.

I'm very interested in the bismuth trioxide version at the end.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Years back the NRA sold a book about large scale Ammunition Making. Full of details about all processes from Drawing brass to final ammo assembly.

In the detailed chapter about primers was a short story of a many year experienced worker who was in charge of the primer department. There was a specially prepared sidewalk he used daily to carry a fresh batch of primer compound from the mixing room to the combining room.
    As always the special heavy thick walled container was filled and the department head began his walk Along the way there was a massive explosion creating a deep hole through the sidewalk. No recognizable piece of the man or his clothing was ever located..
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Bub
    https://archive.org/details/Ammuniti...AByG.Frost1990

This book is what you're talking about. Good book for folks wanting more information on making ammunition.

If you want explosion horror stories there's also this thread on a great forum. It's called "Life after detonation"

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/v....php?tid=22554

Boolit Master
    On a related note:

I tried to find decent strike anywhere matches and they are gone from the market. The new green ones won't light reliably even on their own striker.

The story I got was the strike anywhere matches are hazardous materials and no one wanted to pay shipping.

One more thing that actually worked, gone.

Thanks for the links!
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Banned
    The EASIEST way to attain priming compound is by the use of GOOD toy roll caps. Made in Germany "Legends" caps used to be sold in Walmart and other such places for less than $4.00 per pack. But haven't seen them in about 3 years
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Legends.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	274075
    And here is a link to a previous discussion on using caps:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Cap-maker-idea

What about those "snap it" noise makers the ones that look like a small wad of toilet paper with a tail twisted in the end , throw them against anything hard and they pop with a slight flash . Is the ingredients in those possibly usable ?
    https://usamagictricks.com/bang-snap...iABEgI-mfD_BwE
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    What about those "snap it" noise makers the ones that look like a small wad of toilet paper with a tail twisted in the end , throw them against anything hard and they pop with a slight flash . Is the ingredients in those possibly usable ?
    I seem to recall that those have "gravel" in them to act as frictionaters.

Boolit Master

I believe they also contain "Flash Powder" in them which may not be desirable.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Yes they do very small pieces like coarse sand .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master

Cheap enough to try out. Might want to put a bit of powder on top of the anvil.

But a fair warning to be aware of. The chemical(silver fulminate) used in them years ago was a very sensitive one. Much more than what is normally used in primers. But I'm not sure it is still used nor if it would be a problem.

Boolit Master

I found the book online that goes into the details of using plates for primers. What they look like, sizes, detailed steps and times for each operation. For ones own use they wouldn't need to be this big. Also, info on compounds making.

https://ia800905.us.archive.org/21/i...mer_Manual.pdf

Boolit Mold
    I am so glad I found a thread to be able to post on. Has anyone on a previous but now closed thread had any luck with the chemical compounds a few of them was actually researching any testing I was curious about that...

I've been unloading shotgun primers I driven a couple drops acetone into them and then scraping the paste out can putting it in my 45acp primers and allowing it to dry then putting a piece of thermal receipt paper over the dry compound and then the Anvil on top of that and impressing them directly into cases and It has been working pretty well but now it's getting hard to find shotgun shells even.

I've seen me roll cap gun method and I am going to order some caps off the internet because I can't find any locally all the ones around here are those ring style caps and those things have almost nothing in them plus the compound I emptied out of the few that actually had anything in them that compound look pretty gritty.

Recently I've gotten my hands on a pretty good book titled the US Army improvised munitions handbook, and it explains in great detail how to make quite a few different explosives and incendiaries also it mentions how to reload primers with strike anywhere matches which I already knew but I'm pretty sure somewhere in here there is a recipe for how to make the Mercury fulminate but I was hoping somebody came up with something reliable that was not corrosive so far.

I just started delving into the subject some DIY primer compound that was non corrosive and I stumbled across the former thread on this forum or if you guys were testing different chemical compounds but I don't know if it went anywhere and I couldn't reply to that thread because it was closed now. I still have a lot to read in this improvised munitions handbook and if I find any thing that would be greatly useful I will definitely share what information I can if somebody is willing to try making me Mercury fulminate recipe that I found in this book I don't have a problem posting that I'm saving that as a test for later if I can't come up with anything non corrosive that's reliable...

good luck everybody that's going to be trying some of these tests and all that and good luck to people already testing different things hopefully this damn primer shortage get solved. but I don't see it being solved very quickly, because in times of shortages before this I do remember ammo companies we're opening small auxiliary plans to help catch up with the demand and then closing them back down when they did catch up, another crappy thing is since Soul pandemics going around foreign companies are able to bring in the amount of primers that we've seen in the past either which really freaking sucks! Hope everybody's being careful are research and carefully y'all have a good day I got a lot more reading to do

Boolit Master

Go to the link in the first post of this thread and you'll find a pdf book there that will tell you how to make what you need for non-corrosive primer compound. There are better ones there than mercury fulminate.

Also they have been tested. The chemicals for some of the compounds are a bit hard to find/get, depending.

FWIW. If you live out side the US, there are compounds that can be made with chemicals available there. But the chemicals for them aren't really available in the US.

I driven a couple drops acetone into them and then scraping the paste out
    How in the world do you scrape the mix out through that tiny flash hole?
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

To your question about if anyone here has used any of the compound, I have tried a few different ones and they do work. Also, some that aren't in the 'books' that have worked.

IMO, one does have to be more focused to do primers than to reload ammo. FWIW.

I would think you would want to steer clear of mercury fulminate as it will destroy your brass.
    From what I understand the non-corrosive formulas are pretty hazardous to produce.
    Primer formulations that are less hazardless although corrosive are doable but you do need to be vigilant about cleaning your firearms.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    I would think you would want to steer clear of mercury fulminate as it will destroy your brass.
    From what I understand the non-corrosive formulas are pretty hazardous to produce.
    Primer formulations that are less hazardless although corrosive are doable but you do need to be vigilant about cleaning your firearms.
    When doing things in the safest manner, several non-corrosive formulas and methods are safer to do than the corrosive ones.

There is nothing that will explode until after the mix has dried in the cup. So really when safety is the top goal, non-corrosive is they way to go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast